http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/

First class, inducted June 2015.

DOOM, id Software, 1993
    Pac-Man, Namco, 1980
    Pong, Atari, 1972
    Super Mario Bros., Nintendo, 1985
    Tetris, Alexey Pajitnov, 1984
    World of Warcraft, Blizzard Entertainment, 2004

Quite an eclectic blend of old and new for the first class.. some surprising omissions, but it's possible to nominate anything for consideration in 2016.

http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/nominate

Second class, inducted May 2016.

Grand Theft Auto III, DMA Design/Rockstar Games, 2001
    The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986
    The Oregon Trail, MECC, 1971
    The Sims, Maxis, 2000
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega/Sonic Team, 1991
    Space Invaders, Taito, 1978

Third class, inducted May 2017.

Donkey Kong, Nintendo, 1981
    Halo: Combat Evolved, Bungie/Microsoft, 2001
    Pokémon Red and Green, Game Freak/Nintendo, 1996
    Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Capcom, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYBl5JZ91TM&t=14s
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Nice one!

Games that I think should have made that first list;

Solitaire (electronic adaption of ye olde 18th century game)
    Space Invaders (Taito/Midway, 1978)
    Breakout (Atari, 1972)
    Wolfenstein 3D (Id Software, 1992)
    Paperboy (Atari, 1985)
    Mystery House (On-line Systems, 1980)
    King's Quest (Sierra, 1984)
    Half-life (Valve/Sierra, 1998)
    The 7th Guest (Trilobyte, 1993)
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, though I think Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time deserve a spot too)
    Street Fighter II (Capcom, 1992)
    Mortal Kombat (Midway, 1992)

Which games are you guys rooting for??
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I really think Wolfenstein should've made it over Doom....

I hope an RPG gets a nod next year. Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are obvious popular choices, but King's Quest or something text-based from Sierra would be nice, since those are what paved the way.

Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Sonic maybe should've been in this first class... definitely agree on Space Invaders, too. Mortal Kombat/SFII is a nice debate, since both were such popular games that inspired countless clones.

It's a long shot, but I nominated Mega Man. That was a truly unique, ahead-of-its-time game in 1987, considering the stage select option and acquiring weapons from each boss. Maybe 2017 would be more fitting for its 30th anniversary.

Oh, and Lemmings. Or Nokia-Worm, who doesn't know it.

Donkey Kong, Sonic and Mega Man would all be next on my list for sure, their influence on platforming cannot be underestimated. Not only the old Donkey Kong, also Donkey Kong Country.
    Wolfenstein, they totes didn't go for that one because of the controversial aspect of it, it is obvious. Doom is in all its power and glory still a Wolfenstein-clone by the same company. It is hard to fathom that Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat were almost simultaneously developed by different companies and didn't influence each other, that is why I named them both. Probably Mortal Kombat II and III deserve a spot over both those two, because they were both so radically different, whereas Street Fighter series has only ever been succesful when cloning itself. Much like Mortal Kombat is doing these days, too. =(.

And an RPG, but which one? Pokémon? A Final Fantasy maybe, yes? Point/click adventure doesn't have the typical RPG statistics elements, so I would see that as an entirely different category. Sierra's Mystery House and King's Quest are great examples, but also Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion by LucasArts probably. Later important examples are mostly sequels like King's Quest V and Maniac Mansion II.

Puzzlers like 7th Guest and Myst should be there because they triggered hardware sales of the CD-ROM instead of the other way around. They literally created a market that wasn't there before.

That's true about all the different subgenres of RPGs or what even makes an RPG (wasn't Zelda even considered one when it was first released?). Pokemon is such a cultural phenomenon that kind of transcended the video game, both in the US and Japan. Speaking of that, I would think that since this Hall of Fame thing is based in the US, that what is/was necessarily popular in Japan might not have a whole lot of merit with this recognition.

I'm also torn between whether a sequel should be up for consideration over the original title. Should an entire series be recognized from just the first game, or if a specific sequel was that amazing should that one get the award instead? (Final Fantasy VI/VII for instance) DKC is another great example. That game was one of the best things for the SNES. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a great game, almost flawless really. But I feel like SMB getting recognized is kind of awarding the entire SMB franchise.

I forgot about Myst, that does seem like a natural contender. Dragon's Lair was one of those iconic games that wouldn't surprise me at all, as well. Lemmings, too yes.

From all the amazing 8- and 16-bit era stuff that I remember growing up with.. Gradius, Castlevania, Double Dragon, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Final Fight, Mario Kart. It's so hard to narrow anything down, even respective of genre. I think it's better to have a hard time thinking of what should win, rather than trying to find something that's actually deserving. So many games are deserving, I think.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-16-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Pokémon effect was surely worlwide, but for all means and purposes, it started as a video game. It had so much effect it is hard to ignore, it does not happen often that such a cultural phenomenon started out as a video game.

I would not think always a "series" is automatically awarded, that would be too complicated. You are spot on when you say the SMB3 takes SMB to a level much more grand than the original. However, other games in the series did not. Where would it end and begin? Super Mario Bros post-dates Mario Bros of course, which was an entirely different sort of game, but still very much with the same characters and jump/pipe themes, and Mario really was already present as Jumpman, the main character of Donkey Kong. The original Super Mario Bros 2 is basically just the same game as SMB with different levels, it definitely should not be recognised in the same vein of innovation as SMB itself. Super Mario Bros 2, as a reskinning of DD-Panic, also does not directly deserve a spot in the same regard as SMB (maybe it does though in another way). Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario Land were the actual sequels to the first SMB one could argue, semi-simultaneously developed by different teams, and they both definitely should be recognised as a continuation of that first SMB, taking the basic concepts of the first game to a wildly different, improved and influential level. Super Mario World did that again, naturally, but it dropped "Bros." from the title. And again with Super Mario World 2, where Yoshi was suddenly the main character; should that still be recognised as a continuation of SMB or even SMW? The Super Mario series arguably runs from Donkey Kong all the way down to Super Mario World 2.

Super Mario Bros should be awarded as a single game probably because it made the entire groundbreaking idea of "side-scrolling" through a level popular, and the background was actually blue for the first time - unique for arcade games at that time- creating that illusion of the mushroom kingdom being a world that you could sort of walk through. Likewise and anterior to that, Donkey Kong was the first game that introduced multiple different screens on one machine, which is why I think it deserves a place, too.

Looking at the current list, I see what they did though. Both the crazy ideas of a giant monkey rolling barrels at "Jumpman" over three different screens, and sending "Jumpman" to a fantasy world at the end of a sewerpipe with living mushrooms came from one person; Miyamoto. That same man that created Zelda. They carefully constructed this first list not to seem skewed, or biased. I truly think we will see Donkey Kong and a Zelda title, possibly A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time being inducted into the hall of fame next year.

Zelda btw, is not an RPG as I understand it purely because it has no stat growths, it is very much a shining example icon of true action/adventure; though borrowing heavy themes from RPGs like monsters, dungeons and bosses. The heart meter is probably the only RPG gameplay element, but it is not growing by fighting monsters as you would expect, they are awarded by doing specific things / questing; solely defeating bosses and solving puzzles. It is much like Metroid in that respect, where there are growths while questing; it puts both Metroid and Zelda in the exact same category of gaming with the only difference that Metroid has a space theme instead of a typical RPG theme, and generally the perspective is radically different. But, Zelda II had a lot of side-scrolling adventure just like Metroid, which is I guess where the similarities are really obivous.

Lol I could go on about this forever, but maybe I should first just submit a game, haha. Thanks though for the heads up, greatly appreciated!!

Yeah, they definitely had to keep this first list well rounded and not appear biased. I feel they definitely did a good job of that, as well as picking games across 4 wildly different decades. Miyamoto is a genius, but even as a huge Nintendo fanboy, I really don't think they can just pick all of his games and call it good. Even though many are truly deserving - picking a Zelda game in particular would be challenging. The original was obviously classic, but Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are arguably much better games.

Many Nintendo sequels did kind of careen off into new territory. Zelda II was almost nothing like the original, and it had a bit more (Action-)RPG characteristics. SMB2 may have the Doki Doki controversy now, but in the days before the Internet, I don't recall that being an issue or even being widely known. It just seemed at the time like a really weird - but fun - Mario sequel with almost none of the same enemies or style. It was an immensely popular game too, but I don't particularly think popularity should count for this. Konami's Castlevania II was another really bizarrely different NES sequel. I can appreciate amazing games that have amazing/creative sequels, but I wouldn't really want to see this list getting watered down every year with just another entry from a previous winner.

If another Mario game should go in, I feel like they should just go for broke next year and put Super Mario Galaxy in. Almost every Mario platformer is amazing, but that one really stands out as being truly remarkable. SM64 is definitely notable, too. I think they should go with Zelda, Metroid, or Donkey Kong before doing that, though. It will be very interesting to see what they'll choose at any rate - good luck picking a game!.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-16-2015 at 10:30 PM.

They did a great job, indeed. But its length is a bit modest, and like you said, Doom is probably the only really weird choice on it. Omg I just remembered the Commander Keen thing in Doom II, lolz.

Oh, the memories of early side-scrollers!! Prince of Persia, that one is probably an important game to mention. My lord the memories. That french game, Metal Mutant, in SUPER-VGA yes.

I don't think there is controversy about Doki Doki btw, or anyways I would not understand why it would be so. SMB2 was an excellent game, the picking of characters etc. worked really well. And when SMW2 brought back an abundance of Shy guys and Snifits, well, I was very pleased to see them mingling with the Koopas and Goombas for the first time. And who doesn't want to play Mario as Princess Peach or Toad... I hardly ever picked Mario or Luigi, they are the boring part of SMB2. It probably does deserve a spot too, just in a very different regard.

Oh wow, I don't think I've ever heard of Metal Mutant before.. I'll have to watch that playthrough! It kind of reminded me of Altered Beast a little. I remember loving that in the arcades, but I bet it's beyond cheesy and awful now.

Maybe controversy wasn't the right word with SMB2(USA), but just the fact that it wasn't originally a Mario game - just something apparently pieced together because they thought silly Americans couldn't handle the real SMB2 (probably a true assessment at the time). It just kind of goes along with NOA changing/censoring games and no one even really being aware of it at the time, or until later anyway, particularly with Mortal Kombat. It is a fun game, but if they didn't put Mario sprites in there and call it SMB2, it wouldn't be a game anyone would still be talking about in 2015. It did give the world Shy Guys and Birdo, so at least there's that.

Somewhat off-topic, but Wolfenstein's themes and Commander Keen being edited out (as well as all other WWII imagery) from the two optional levels in Doom II for the BFG Edition of III made me incredibly sad.

It makes me realise the actual impact of a cowboy company like ID Software on the gaming world. It was founded by the people that created Dangerous Dave, a game I remember very well being addictive and playable in CGA, EGA and VGA. Then of course, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake were kind of widely distributed, probably mostly illegal.

If it's about innovation and trendsetting, I'd like to see these titles get a nod:

GTA 3: revolutionary, open world 3D game design
    The original Tomb Raider: iconic character, spectacular 3D levels
    Metroid Prime: reinvented first person shooters

And just due to excellence in the genre:
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Bioshock
    post28!

Yes Tomb Raider has been extremely important.

Metroid Prime surely did something to something, but I'm not sure what exactly. Together with GoldenEye N64 years earlier, it probably paved the way for shooters to make sense for consoles. Nintendo names it "first person action-adventure" instead of a FPS even. It was strongly influenced by Half-life, which preceded that game by some years, and some of the people of the Half-Life team were on the Prime team, too. Why Half-Life would be a FPS and Metroid Prime not, I would not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    It makes me realise the actual impact of a cowboy company like ID Software on the gaming world. It was founded by the people that created Dangerous Dave, a game I remember very well being addictive and playable in CGA, EGA and VGA. Then of course, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake were kind of widely distributed, probably mostly illegal.
    Indeed.

While we're on the subject of DOOM vs. Wolfenstein, does anyone else remember the absolute uproar that DOOM caused in ways that Wolfenstein didn't? The "violence" and imagery of DOOM shook the world in a way that I don't think its predecessors did, even though from day one as a kid, I never really understood it myself (even though those monsters scared the fuck out of me when I was young). DOOM had an insane cultural impact on game ratings, censorship and the discussion of violence in video games - I think that's a pretty monumental reason aside from the game itself to put it above Wolfenstein for consideration. Both are important titles though.

As for FINAL FANTASY games (and similar RPGs), if you're going to include any of them, I'd argue the only one that really deserves a spot is XI, but I think by extension, you could also argue that EverQuest deserves that spot. Both were fairly defining of the pre-WOW MMO model - what set XI apart from EverQuest was being able to bring the rich story and lore content that the FF franchise is known for to the MMO format, giving your character a feeling that they mattered and were integral to the main plot.

The offline titles, great as I think they all are in their various ways, aren't culturally all that remarkable aside from maybe VII? But at the end of the day, what VII did was help give RPGs a mainstream spotlight in the west. I'm not sure how much that actually gives it merit for something like this. I love console RPGs, especially Japanese ones from '96 and prior, but I think the only real argument you can make for any of them in an inclusion is an early one, maybe Ultima, for bringing the tabletop world to video gaming. That's why I love the original FF so much, but that game heavily relies on earlier RPGs as a model.

Well maybe we were a bit young, but Wolfenstein was pretty much under the radar I believe. I first played it from scrapheapy diskette copies. It gained popularity by means of shareware-viral marketing. DOOM did the same thing as shareware, with the difference that it was preceded by that wildly succesful Wolfenstein, and therefore hyped as hell in press and community. It was bound to attract way more attention.