Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Video Game Hall of Fame

Ooh, another one: Dungeon Master!

The genre may be forgotten by time but dungeon crawler RPG's like this ruled my 90's, and this was the (as far as I recall) the first true one of its kind.
    It paved the way for games like Eye of the beholder and Lands of Lore. And even today the Grimrock series keep the fire burning
    post28!

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Eye of the Beholder was great on SegaCD from what I remember! I had never really played stuff like Dungeon Master, Swords and Serpents, or Wizardry because I thought they looked a bit too hardcore. I suppose RPGs in general might have had too much of a cult status until the MMO stuff (and VII) to really warrant a major recognition like this, but I do feel that even by FF3/VI(SNES), the mainstream was starting to catch on. Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG probably helped the popularity of the genre, too.

Dungeon Master's 'thing' was the fact that it was first person combined with real time attacks, that set it apart from the other RPG's out there and made it very very tense. I remember reading reviews in old gaming magazines, they read like mini fantasy stories. It was quite intense back in them days
    post28!

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Elite on the BBC Micro.

Man, I lost a lot of time to that when I was a kid.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar

How about this classic;

So addictive.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

if we're really doing old school how about The Oregon Trail?

Whoops, little Suzie has died of dysentry....

LOL, the red shit, not so nice....

Basic as it is, this was probably my favorite Commodore 64 game growing up.

Mine was Burgertime.

My friend at school had a C64. Cauldron 2 was one of my favourite games on it.

Lost in a YouTube 8 bit video games hole. Send help.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

That looks amazing lol! I remember having Goonies and being freaked out by the title screen. Something about the silhouettes and music. I have to really think about C64/128 games, I've forgotten about so many. Dig Dug, Fleet Feet, The Rat, Catastrophes, Dragonfly... I think my cousin had a pirate copy of Side Arms that would be unplayable after the first level. I miss that system and even having to type in the load command. Kind of wish I still had one.

Guess this video about how graphics worked on the old 8 bit machines we all loved can go here.

http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/

Second class, inducted May 2016.

Grand Theft Auto III, DMA Design/Rockstar Games, 2001
    The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986
    The Oregon Trail, MECC, 1971
    The Sims, Maxis, 2000
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega/Sonic Team, 1991
    Space Invaders, Taito, 1978

Finalists: Elite, Final Fantasy, John Madden Football, Minecraft, Nürburgring, Pokémon Red and Green, Sid Meier’s Civilization, Street Fighter II, and Tomb Raider.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-06-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Reacting to an ancient comment lol... but forgot to back then, so I see while scrolling through this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Maybe controversy wasn't the right word with SMB2(USA), but just the fact that it wasn't originally a Mario game - just something apparently pieced together because they thought silly Americans couldn't handle the real SMB2 (probably a true assessment at the time). It just kind of goes along with NOA changing/censoring games and no one even really being aware of it at the time, or until later anyway, particularly with Mortal Kombat. It is a fun game, but if they didn't put Mario sprites in there and call it SMB2, it wouldn't be a game anyone would still be talking about in 2015. It did give the world Shy Guys and Birdo, so at least there's that.
    This is not really correct; development on Doki Doki Panic actually began as a bonafide Mario game and was well under way when they released "Lost Levels"; not many people seem to know this. Miyamoto was involved in Doki Doki Panic before entering the licensing deal with Fuji Television, and at that point the game was considered too different to be a Mario game anyway, so they took development and skinning in another direction. However, the presence and origin of the Starman, POW-block and koopashell in the original Doki Doki are pointing towards its true origins so hard it almost hurts.

^Huh, I most certainly didn't know that! I've never actually played the original Japanese game, and just assumed those Mario-isms were just thrown haphazardly into the US version. It is a fun little game in its own right and I wouldn't mind tracking down the original.

The 2017 class completely eluded me last month lol. They only let in 4 games this time: Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Street Fighter II, and Halo.