Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AU: Rearrange the Albums

Icon15 AU: Rearrange the Albums

So, obviously, I think we can all agree that Kate Bush has done a brilliant job as it is, but this is a fun alternate reality game to play. Simply put, if you were producing Kate's albums today, which (if any) changes would you make? Which b-sides or bonus tracks would you choose to include on the album proper, which tracks would you kick off, how would you alter the order of the tracklisting etc? Clearly, thematic suites like The Ninth Wave or A Sky of Honey don't really apply, but feel free to make any experiments you like.

I'll get the ball rolling with my edit of The Sensual World:

01. The Sensual World
    02. Love & Anger
    03. The Fog
    04. I'm Still Waiting
    05. Heads We're Dancing
    06. Deeper Understanding
    07. Be Kind to My Mistakes
    08. Never Be Mine
    09. Rocket's Tail
    10. This Woman's Work
    Last edited by Alpha Neutral; 06-07-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Cool thread (maybe because I'm already a giant geek that does this on my iTunes all the time):

• I'd happily remove the title track from "50 Words for Snow" - it's a nice enough idea but it doesn't really make sense as an individual song. In fact, it's one of the few KB songs I genuinely dislike.
    • I'd also remove "Mother Stands for Comfort" from Hounds of Love. I know it's probably sacrilegious to mess with that album, but this song just ruins the flow for me every single time. I would replace it with "Not This Time", which is probably one of her most underrated b-sides.
    • Your edit of "The Sensual World" is pretty close to what I'd like to do, but I'd switch out "Deeper Understanding" for "Experiment IV". I like the idea of the album closing with "This Woman's Work", although I would also consider adding "One Last Look Around the House..." as a brief, instrumental coda.
    Last edited by Vine Erised; 06-07-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vine Erised View Post
    • I'd happily remove the title track from "50 Words for Snow" - it's a nice enough idea but it doesn't really make sense as an individual song. In fact, it's one of the few KB songs I genuinely dislike.
    I've actually deleted that one from my iTunes Library as well. I feel that the album (which is absolutely brilliant) is much stronger without it.

For me, the song that doesn't belong on 50 Words For Snow is Among Angels. Not that I don't love it, it just doesn't fit the theme. I'd end the album with the title track, so the last word we hear is "Snow."

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
    For me, the song that doesn't belong on 50 Words For Snow is Among Angels. Not that I don't love it, it just doesn't fit the theme. I'd end the album with the title track, so the last word we hear is "Snow."
    I kind of get that, the idea of ending with the word "snow" is a great one. The problem is "Among Angels" is one of the best things she's done (for me, at least) whereas "50 Words for Snow" would make a cool effect but it's still not a good song fundamentally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising Among Angels. I agree that it's one of her very best. It was stunning live. It doesn't stick out as misplaced on that album, it just doesn't really fit the theme. As much as I love Director's Cut, part of me wishes we'd got new songs for that album - just because you can never have enough new stuff from Kate - and Among Angels could have sat where Moments Of Pleasure does on that album.

Banned
    I loooove the title track from 50 Words... Among Angels is pretty but I usually don't make it all the way through it.

the red shoes
    1: the red shoes
    2: and so is love
    3: big stripey lie
    4: lily
    5: the song of solomon
    6: moments of pleasure
    7: top of the city
    8: rubberband girl
    9: why should i love you?
    10: you're the one
    -time moves both ways-

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    SKY OF HONEY Extension!!

Prelude / Prologue
    The Sensual World
    Delius (Song of Summer)
    An Architect's Dream
    Cloudbusting (Organon Mix)
    You Want Alchemy
    The Painter's Link
    Sunset
    Aerial Tal
    All We Ever Look For
    The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix)
    Somewhere In Between
    Tawny Moon
    Night of the Swallow
    Hello Earth
    Nocturn
    Rocket's Tail
    Aerial
    A Coral Room

50 Words for Snow

Snowflake
    Wild Man
    Lake Tahoe
    Among Angels
    Misty
    50 Words for Snow
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I'd combine the first two albums into something like this:

Side A:
    Symphony in Blue
    Wow
    The Man With the Child in His Eyes
    Them Heavy People
    Oh to Be in Love
    Oh England My Lionheart

Side B:
    Hammer Horror
    Strange Phenomena
    L'Amour Looks Something Like You
    Room For the Life
    Wuthering Heights
    The Kick Inside

No "Moving"???????

Nah. Never cared for it.

That's one of my top 3 Kate songs. Even more remarkable as the opening track on her debut, at 17 years old. I can't think of another song that nails the combination of mystical witchyness and romantic seduction nearly as well -- even that Wicker Man song gets a run for its money!!

Seems like blasphemy, but here's The Dreaming plus b-sides, plus a couple darker songs from The Ninth Wave & NFE. Resisting the urge to call it "Dark Dreaming" but ugh.

Sat in Your Lap
    Suspended in Gaffa
    Lord of the Reedy River
    Under Ice
    Breathing
    Waking The Witch
    The Dreaming
    There Goes a Tenner
    All The Love
    Leave It Open
    Pull Out The Pin
    The Infant Kiss