Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kacey Musgraves

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    I like all of it but Rainbow. I cannot stand plodding piano fauxpowerment ballads.

Highlights for me are definitely Space Cowboy, High Horse, Velvet Elvis, Mother, Butterflies and Lonely Weekend...so basically half the album. I think it's great how everyone has different favorites! My top three is probably the singles.
    Those are my highlights too. I can't stop listening to High Horse and Space Cowboy

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    "Rainbow" feels like one of those earnest Dolly Parton songs for me. It definitely treads that saccharine territory but I feel that she actually believes what she's saying. I read somewhere she wrote it for the LGBT community too but I can't find a source. Regardless, it's universal enough that it makes me smile.
    I write a lot when I make posts on here. I own it. I can't believe I forgot to say I can hear Dolly's influence all over the place.

Since there are hardly any negative reviews, when someone says this album doesn't work because it's trying to crossover.. it doesn't feel that way at all. This is a country music album trust and believe. That's what makes it so good. It's not trying to crossover.. it's trying to evolve the genre. That's my take. That's why it's so successful. Probably going to be top #5 on tomorrow's billboard charts
    Last edited by Volta; 04-12-2018 at 01:41 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I'm SO happy to see a Kacey forum. I am NOT a country music fan and I recently have been growing more open to listening to Country music. Especially after I recently visited Nashville for the first time last year.

I accidentally came across this album and absolutely fell in love. I wore it out and already have gone into her back catalogue and completely love those albums as well. She has quickly become a favorite and that hasn't happened for me since maybe Ed Sheeran or Lana Del Rey or HAIM recently. Yes to the Jenny Lewis and Sheryl comparisons -- and ALSO, I hear a lot of Michelle Branch, as well.

Space Cowboy brings tears to my eyes, because I moved to Texas last fall for a relationship. I hadn't really been in one like this nor have I ever moved in with a person and not out of state from California. I allowed myself to start to lose my identity and my freedom and put my business in jeopardy. I spent a good fortune on him as well. He turned out to be mentally unhinged and tried to get physical with me. I even took him to see Tori (he was a huge Mariah fan) there last year and she did "Crazy" and "Strange" - I feel like she knew. Anyway, he got violent and I ended up leaving when he was at work -- got in my car and left and went back to California. He was very much push-pull - telling me to leave, then telling me not to leave him. So the lyrics of "You can have your space, cowboy..." just makes me think of the relationship. Anyway..

Also, Rainbow reminds me a lot of Desperado. Anyone else hear this?

I can't wait to see/hear what Kacey does next. I'm absolutely in love.
    Last edited by TheTruthSeeker; 04-12-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruthSeeker View Post

Also, Rainbow reminds me a lot of Desperado. Anyone else hear this?
    100% I heard Desperado in it earlier today, just for a second; such a perfect song Rainbow is.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I’m really hearing Dolly’s influence on the bridge of Happy and Sad.
    Charts are up:
    Billboard 200 - #4
    Billboard Country - #1
    Billboard Country AirPlay- “Butterflies” #56
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    100% I heard Desperado in it earlier today, just for a second; such a perfect song Rainbow is.
    Agreed, love Rainbow and it's definitely not just some cheesy ballad.

Space Cowboy is my new and maybe ultimate fave, it's just so perfect.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Rainbow has such a brilliant melody that it jerks tears out of my eyes every single time. It’s just so sweet and so sincere imo.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

OK--I love this album. I had not heard a single song of hers before this record, but based on the raves on here and several pieces I've read about her, I listened to it on Spotify and ended up buying the vinyl. It's my favorite of the year after Janelle Monae.

There's definitely a timeless feel to this record. These songs sound great now and I can imagine these songs sounding great twenty years from now. My favorites are "Slow Burn," "Oh, What a World," "Mother," "Love is a Wild Thing," "Space Cowboy," and "Rainbow"--basically, the more bittersweet and melancholy ones. She does bittersweet and melancholy VERY well.

I was thinking of some of the Sheryl Crow comparisons mentioned earlier in the thread and can hear some of that myself, but more in regards to bits and pieces of songs. Some songs on Golden Hour, like "Slow Burn," remind me a bit of Sheryl when her songs have a bit more of a cosmic tinge (I'm thinking specifically of "Chances Are," "Missing," and the verses of "Maybe That's Something"). But I also hear a bit of Sea Change-era Beck and OK Computer-era Radiohead. Regardless of whatever her influences may or may not have been, I think this album is exceptionally well-produced and well-written.

Since it seems like almost everyone has a track or two that they are less fond of, mine is definitely "Wonder Woman." I just don't really care for it, and it hasn't grown on me. "Velvet Elvis" is not a favorite, but I actually like that one.

Since it seems divisive I'll just throw in my two cents--I love "Rainbow" and don't find it corny.

Rainbow is like a Burt Bacharach song to me. The melody perfectly compliments the lyrics and it’s just absolutely lovely. It seems so simple but underneath, it’s not. That’s great writing, imo.

She's on SNL tonight, and I'm curious what she'll play. Given that she just released videos for "Space Cowboy" and "Butterflies," I'm guessing she'll do those. I definitely think one melancholy tune and something more upbeat would be a good move, to show her versatility. I think "Space Cowboy" is a given, but I'm kind of hoping for "High Horse" instead of "Butterflies."

I would LOVE for her second number to be Rainbow. I really think the country needs that song.

Omg I’m in tears.