Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kacey Musgraves

Kacey Musgraves

Her debut album Same Trailer, Different Park won a Grammy for Best Country Album, as did her song "Follow Your Arrow", which has lyrics about smoking marijuana and same sex love. Kacey has a classic country style, smooth voice, and smart songwriting. Her newest album, Pageant Material, was released a couple weeks ago and it's one of the year's best. She also has a campy vibe that combines the best of Dolly Parton with modern pop.

Anyone else love her?

Breakout song "Merry Go Round"
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZfj2Ir3GgQ

Playing "Follow Your Arrow" on NPR to celebrate the Supreme Court's same sex marriage ruling.

"Biscuits"
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIUtLO_x8g
    Last edited by Jake; 07-11-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Yes! I'm really digging her new one but still need to go back and check her debut out.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

I'm a fan! I'll have to check out the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'm a fan! I'll have to check out the new one.
    I can't stop playing it. I was initially a little meh about some of the more cute songs, like "Family is Family" and "Cup of Tea." But now I play the entire thing straight through. Even "Biscuits" at first was too "Follow Your Arrow" to stand on its own, but now I've grown to love it.

It's all about "Dime Store Cowgirl" though. I could see that being a hit for her and breaking her through! I saw her last night in Chicago, and made a shirt.

*listens*

musically it's gorgeous (ain't "High Time" a spectacular opener?) and super fun but I'm sort of still waiting for the real whammy about rural decline or oppressive gender roles. Like I was expecting earth-moving satire from the cover and title! It's sort of less sharply critical than lovingly teasing. But I love how she baits and switches with country cliché - the town is 'too small to be mean', but only 'cus it'll 'wreck your family name' if you are, and 'family is family' because 'they'll ask you for money/even though they know you ain't got no money'.

New album Golden Hour is due early 2018.

http://ew.com/music/2017/12/12/kacey...bum-interview/

Love this interview; how many certified country stars can name-drop Imogen Heap and Trixie Mattel in the same story?

https://www.gq.com/story/kacey-musgr...really-country

Kacey is incredible, and "Space Cowboy" is one of the best songs released in 2018.

I’ve never given her a serious listen until today but I like what I hear. Butterfly and Space Cowboy are both lovely.

This new album. This new album. I don’t even know what to say. I’ve been a very casual fan of hers and have sort of enjoyed the singles, but this album is one of those that doesn’t come around often. I am SO impressed by it. The opener sounds like Radiohead in a weird way and then there’s elements of Daft Punk, Loretta Lynn and Feetwood Mac on the SAME album. It’s getting rave reviews and it deserves every single one. I honestly haven’t had an album grab me like this in a very long time. “Mother” and “Rainbow” make me BAWL. I mean, “Rainbow” should just go ahead and get placed in the Hall of Fame of great songs. When I learned it was written for the LGBTQ+ community, it made me bawl even harder. And I wish “Mother” was longer because it’s stunning, but I applaud her for being courageous enough to put an acid-trip inspired song that’s hardly a minute long smack in the middle of a “country” album in 2018.

Basically, I’m obsessed now. I can’t wait to blast this album all Summer long. It just goes to show that when an artist jumps off a cliff, amazing things can happen. Seriously. Everyone should give it a listen. It’s just one of those magical albums that belongs to every genre and breaks all barriers brilliantly. I’m like gagging over it.

The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

It’s so good! My favorites are all the ones that sound like taking a warm bath of sky. Slow Burn, Oh, What a World, Butterflies, and Love is a Wild Thing have this swirling warmth to them they’re just heavenly. It’s a similar quality to that of Madonna’s Ray of Light, not necessarily the music sounding the same but feeling the same, and the two records seem to be coming from a similar place (one of contentment, wisdom, and peace).

It's easily my favorite album of the year. I can't get over how fantastic it is.

I'm also loving the album. I can't get over her voice, it's so pure and clear. Just fantastic!

And I love how it’s getting such RAVES! Good for her. It’s great to see the top country writers like Shane and Luke be able to stretch out with Kacey, do something different and be praised for it. That critical response could really be freeing for lots of people. I just hope it does well commercially. For some reason, so much music right now is reminding me of the late 90’s, and this one in a way is like Lucinda William’s Car Wheels On a Gravel Road in that they both feel/felt so fresh at their perspective times. Also, not 90’s, but I hear Rilo Kiley’s Under the Blacklight here. I guess it’s the undeniable Fleetwood Mac influence.

@Jake what are your faves so far? Slow Burn, Mother, Lonely Weekend ( should be a MAJOR hit—I can imagine it being on the radio at every water park/pool/ and patio this Summer),
    Rainbow and High Horse are all slaying me at the moment.
    Last edited by Adam; 04-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Oof, so hard to choose. The 1-2 punch of "Slow Burn" and "Lonely Weekend" definitely knocked me over during my first listen. I knew it was going to be a special record based on those songs alone. I laughed out loud during the bridge of "Lonely Weekend" because it's just so melodically perfect.

It's probably easier to identify the ones that had to grow on me. "Velvet Elvis" and "Wonder Woman" remind me more of her first couple of albums, based on their turn-of-phrase-style lyrics. However, I've had "Velvet Elvis" in my head all day today and yesterday, so that's become a highlight now too! It reminds me of Norah Jones' "Happy Pills."

That's the other thing you got at, @Adam. So many sounds layered through out that remind me of some of my favorite artists/albums - Beck's Sea Change and Morning Phase, Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions especially.