Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kacey Musgraves

She's working really hard to promote this album--I hope it pushes her up the charts a bit because this album deserves to be a big hit for her.

She did "High Horse" and "Slow Burn" on SNL. I don't really have a sense of her as a live performer since I'm kind of new to her. "High Horse" was a little stiff, "Slow Burn" was really good. I think "Slow Burn" is my favorite on the album, actually.

FWIW, I had never heard of her before seeing her performance on SNL this week, and it was good enough that I downloaded the album. Slow burn is really lovely, the whole album is great.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I never watch SNL. And now I remember why.
    I thought both performances were really nervous ones. Considering how well she's performed on other night shows for this album. The High Horse performance on Ellen is really good, btw.

This is actually the first time I've had really anything at all negative to say about her. I think she's a good live performer from everything I watched on youtube including The Royal Albert Hall concert.

I follow her on instagram .. and I follow very few celebrities on there... and she seems to really just be having the time of her life... (in Japan, right now.)

She reminds me of a young Kyle Richards.. and Kyle Richards reminds me of a younger Demi Moore.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

finally giving this album a full proper listen and loving it. it's reminding me of Jenny Lewis (one of my favorite songwriters) in a lot of places.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Gave "Rainbow" another ten tries. Still hate hate hate it. Dewy, bland piano chords, cutesy chorus melody, tortured, treacly metaphor, it's everything I loathe in a pop song.

The rest of the album is fantastic though. "Space Cowboy" is still a standout for me, but the other songs are opening up like flowers. There's something so warm and pure about her voice and the way it just rolls through a melody. The songs feel like pop songs stripped down to their essential elements and then polished until they shine. Each one is perfectly assembled.

It’s so interesting how we all “feel” music. I think Rainbow is a total classic. It’s like Chaplin’s Smile to me. It just gives me goosebumps all over. Especially because she used to be one of the girls to call people “fags” and now she’s totally changed and trying to make someone feel better. And for some reason, that being such an old, tired metaphor makes it even better for me. I don’t know why. Maybe cause it feels like it could’ve come from the fifties or something where that wouldn’t have been SUCH a cliche.

Also, Rainbow and Maybe California both talk about the sky “opening” and for some reason, that pulls the tears right out of me. But I assume that if you loathe/don’t loathe MC, you feel the same about Rainbow. Lol. They are pretty much similar ( although I’d bet more people would enjoy Rainbow than MC).
    Last edited by Adam; 05-22-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I caught Kacey's taping for Austin City Limits last night. She totally killed it — it's going to be a stunner so definitely try to catch it when it's broadcast!

She surprised me with how funny she is. There was a musical interlude where her glam squad came out with powder and hairspray, and she milked it, honey. At one point she went to sit on a stool for a song, and said "Is this awkward? I don't know! It's for TV! Gays in the front row, help me out!".

I wasn't familiar with her song "Keep It To Yourself" but they did a version with a pedal steel that almost sounded like a squiggly 90s synth... looking forward to seeing that one again.

At the end of the show, she announced they would be redoing a couple of songs "since they fucked them up" (even though I thought everything went off without a hitch). So I got to see my favorite, "Love Is A Wild Thing", twice! She also redid "Family is Family" and "High Horse"...

I've said this before but, her voice is so incredible. She was pitch perfect for every damn song. My husband, who was not into her at all, came out a total convert.

edit to add set list:

1. Slow Burn
    2. Butterflies
    3. Love Is a Wild Thing
    4. Velvet Elvis
    5. Golden Hour
    6. Happy and Sad
    7. Keep It to Yourself
    8. Lonely Weekend
    9. High Time
    10. Family Is Family
    11. Follow Your Arrow
    12. Space Cowboy
    13. Rainbow

Encore:
    14. Merry Go Round
    15. Neon Moon
    16. High Horse

Retakes:
    Love Is a Wild Thing
    Family Is Family
    High Horse
    Last edited by dimshala; 06-07-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added setlist

How exciting. I saw he updating her instagram that night and she looked to be so happy and calm.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I don't think her music videos do the music justice. They're kinda average. The music is better than that.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Does anyone here listen to her husband, Ruston Kelly? He has a new album coming in September and I really love the lead singles for tight, polished, kind of lyrically dark country.

Her husband is hot.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    They sing a duet together on the recent Johnny Cash tribute album and it is lovely.

this is totally random, but there's this little transition in "Slow Burn" at the part around 2:20 that goes "whatever, feels good" (not exactly sure what she sings there)..whenever I hear it, it always reminds me of Sheryl Crow. I finally figured out that it's Sheryl Crow's "Home" I'm thinking of...the part where she sings "I'd like to see the Riviera and slow dance underneath the stars..."

Anyone else hear it or am I crazy? (or both? )