Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kacey Musgraves

Wonder Woman is amazing, have to check out the rest of the album
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Yes! The Globe Sessions! I’ve thought of that one, too! SUCH a timeless album. Funny that this was recorded in Sheryl’s barn. I’d love for Sheryl to return to the greatness of that album.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've only ever remembered MerryGoRound when i've heard her name in the past, and when I saw this thread bumped towards the top, no joke.. I was on Itunes purchasing another album on my phone and her album cover was at the top of the page before I clicked the search option. I saw that as a kind of sign.
    Can't stop listening to this album. Her crystal-clear vocals and playful, witty lyrics are just what the doctor ordered for me right now.

And "Butterflies" plays on our big country station here. I am going to see where that single is at on the charts. Must be high to get played here.
    I didn't know that was her song. I thought it was the new Lauren Alaina song. So.. yea.. that's pretty cool.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-07-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

There's not one disingenuous song on the album. The lyrics are perfection. The music that accompanies her voice just blends in.

Take a song in the middle of the album that is supposed to be middle of the road probably a song like "Happy & Sad" the lyric is "They say that everything that goes up must come down. And I don't want to come down."

Reads basic but that's my favorite part of the song. Even a part that should be basic is completely beautiful.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-07-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

My top 3 songs
    1.) Lonely Weekend
    2.) Wonder Woman
    3.) Butterflies
    honorable mention: Space Cowboy
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

top 3
    Mother
    Slow Burn
    Space Cowboy/Rainbow

Wonder Woman
    Space Cowboy
    Slow Burn

are my top 3. but the whole album is amazing. I don't really enjoy full albums as much as I used to, but every year there's about 2-3 albums that really nail it for me
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    I've really been enjoying this album as well! Her voice is so soothing to me. This performance of "Slow Burn" is wonderful. A+ jumpsuit too.

She's a pretty established artist in country music I have learned from wikipedia and google. Has a couple Grammys. Wow. Not surprised she had her start in Western Swing. One of my favorite types of country.

But I think this new album is going to get her soooo many more fans.. like how it snagged me. My first purchase of any of her records or singles.

The country stations here only play 2 female artists tops an hour so it's pretty cool to hear her song. Louisville radio either just really loves it or she's one of the few popular country solo artists that is also female to have a song out right now. So they feel obligated or something.
    I dunno. That sounds kind of stupid.. radio feeling obligated to play her record to meet some kind of quota.

It's not rare to hear female singers one after the other on radio, to be clear; however, they're just always in groups, not solo. Sugarland.. Lady Antebellum.. The Band Perry.. Little Big Town. If any of those groups have singles out at the same time you're going to hear female vocals. If not.. it's just Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood here, at least.

Right now, country radio is very very male dominated. And I like a lot of the songs being played. Went to Billboards Country Airplay charts and there were only three female solo artists in the top 50. Kacey isn't there, yet. WOW.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-09-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

@Volta, one of my favorite moments on this album is one that’s so simple. It’s the “whatever feels good” line in Slow Burn. It just comes out of nowhere and the effects on her vocal are perfection. This album is just SO well produced. I truly think this has the potential to be a classic.

That NeedleDrop guy on YouTube hates the album for all the reasons we seem to be loving it. First really negative review I've come across. And he's had 60k views.

All I think he sees is a gimmick. He opens his review talking about her "crossing over."
    Needledrop, you're sooooooo wrong.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

1. Slow Burn 10/10 - I have all the things to say about this song. I love how it really is a slow burn. The music doesn't really pick up or come in until the second verse at 1:46. It's Kacey strumming and then the band comes in. I've found that in almost all these songs the second verse is so strong.. it's almost like the songs start all over again - and it's a wonderful thing. It never drops off or becomes something you don't want to listen to until the end.
    "Good in a glass. Good on green. Good when you're putting your hands all over me."

2. Lonely Weekend 10/10 - I love that this song is like a groovy, California beach/bonfire kind of song. It's the first song that had an immediate impact on me when I heard it. Slow Burn into this is just the best tracklisting. The placement of these songs are amazing. I like how she describes each day of the week. "And if my sister was in town we'd be having fun." So many of her female fans are going to love this song and that lyric. The instruments on this are sedate but there are so many of them doing really cool things I just can't even.

3. Butterflies 10/10 - As soon as the music comes on it's already grabbed a hold of me. Funky. Everything works. And then "Untangled all the strings round my wings that were tied. I didn't know him and I didn't know me. Cloud nine was always out of reach. Now I remember what it feels like to fly." You hear that amazing clarity in her voice. You get a bit of that western swing vibe. And then "I was hiding in doubt till you brought me out of my chrysalis." How cool.

4. Oh, What a World 8/10 - "These are real things. Thank God it's not too good to be true.." exactly.

5. Mother 9/10 - Gorgeous song

6. Love Is a Wild Thing 8/10

7. Space Cowboy 10/10 - God, I love this song. The melody is out of this world. "When a horse wants to run there ain't no point in closing the gate." "After the Gold Rush there ain't no reason to stay."

8. Happy & Sad 10/10

9. Velvet Elvis 7/10 - Probably the only song I don't connect with but I still don't skip it.

10. Wonder Woman 10/10 - "I like where this is going. You like it, too. We rarely never ever see eye to eye. We're going to."

11. High Horse 9.5/10 - I'm actually just coming around to this song in a real way. Like listening to it on a couple repeats. It's a really really fun song. I like the performance of it she did on Ellen.

12. Golden Hour 10/10 - I absolutely love the plucking at the start of the song. This is probably a surprise favorite to most people of mine. It's just a day dreamy, wonderful song that I can't get enough of.

13. Rainbow - 6.5/10 - I actually do kind of skip this song. I am sure I'll love it eventually.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-10-2018 at 04:37 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

^ No!!!! Rainbow is AMAZING!!! And Anthony from Needle Drop is just WRONG.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    I like all of it but Rainbow. I cannot stand plodding piano fauxpowerment ballads.

Highlights for me are definitely Space Cowboy, High Horse, Velvet Elvis, Mother, Butterflies and Lonely Weekend...so basically half the album. I think it's great how everyone has different favorites! My top three is probably the singles.

"Rainbow" feels like one of those earnest Dolly Parton songs for me. It definitely treads that saccharine territory but I feel that she actually believes what she's saying. I read somewhere she wrote it for the LGBT community too but I can't find a source. Regardless, it's universal enough that it makes me smile.