Thread: Your Unread Pile

Your Unread Pile

You all have one. Let's see it.

Mine isn't as big as it has been recently, but I actually have my eye on some new books (and you can probably see a couple of these are also pretty new), and I'm just finishing up the new China Miéville collection which jumped the queue...

My pile is a few shelves - I am a buy a book because I like the cover kinda guy - so this is the up next pile!
    Last edited by nathan zephyrus; 08-05-2015 at 08:53 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    In lieu of a photo, here's my list:

The Moonstone (working on it) - Wikie Collins
    No Name - Wilkie Collins
    Lady Audley's Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
    Aurora Floyd - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
    Highgate Rise - Anne Perry
    Belgrave Square - Anne Perry
    Farrier's Lane - Anne Perry
    The Hyde Park Headsman - Anne Perry
    Traitor's Gate - Anne Perry
    Pentecost Alley - Anne Perry
    Ashworth Hall - Anne Perry
    Brunswick Gardens - Anne Perry
    Bedford Square - Anne Perry
    Half Moon Street - Anne Perry

______ = finished

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    This is a really good idea for a thread, and actually fishing out the unread books from my shelf and piling them up has reminded me of how much I have to catch-up on. I might keep them like this and only put them back when I've done them, to stop me buying any more books until I'm through with these.

From top to bottom:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks
    Man and the Natural World: Changing Attitudes in England 1500-1800 by Keith Thomas
    The English Civil Wars by Blair Worden
    Madness and Revolution: The Lives and Legends of Théroigne de Méricourt by Elisabeth Roudinesco
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
    Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
    The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevesky
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
    A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
    Plays 1 by Brian Friel (I've read a couple but I need to finish off the whole set)
    The Blunders of Our Governments by Anthony King and Ivor Crewe
    Under The Ivy: The Life & Music of Kate Bush by Graeme Thomson (I've read this before but I was given the updated version that includes 'Before The Dawn' as a Christmas present so it would be rude not to)
    1606: William Shakespeare and the Year of Lear by James Shapiro
    Writing Plays - It's an exercise book that I need to dip in and out of. It was already there on the shelf and I couldn't be arsed to take it out.
    Margaret Thatcher: Volume One by Charles Moore

I also have a couple of books that I started but didn't finish and want to go back to. Diarmaid MacCulloch's Reformation: Europe's House Divided which I was really enjoying but put to one side to get through something else (because it's gigantic) and want to get back into, and Revolutionary Ideas: An Intellectual History of the French Revolution by Jonathan Israel which I feel almost obliged to read for some reason, but it's tough because his writing is so dry. He's an important scholar on the Enlightenment, so I'll try at least a few more chapters.

Now, if only I didn't have to sleep...

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    ^ Tess, Far From The Madding Crowd, and The Woman In White are all really good reads. If you like TWIW, I suggest checking out The Moonstone also by Collins. (in your spare time )

Holy hell, that's a tall pile!

I'm not even sure what's in mine right now, but it's pay weekend and there's a new China Mieville out, so I'm off shopping tomorrow...

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    ^ Tess, Far From The Madding Crowd, and The Woman In White are all really good reads. If you like TWIW, I suggest checking out The Moonstone also by Collins. (in your spare time )
    Thanks Kala, I saw your post in the other thread and made a mental note to add it to my list. I'm really looking forward to The Woman In White. All I know of it is that awful Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, which won't take much to improve on. I've never read any Hardy which feels like a big omission.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete! View Post
    Holy hell, that's a tall pile!
    I'm really good at 'just browsing' through bookshops on my lunch break, and then actually buying books that I won't get around to for ages, particularly if it's payday or if I have points on any of my loyalty cards (making it a vicious cycle). I have this constant fear that I'm only a few weeks away from abject poverty, so whenever I have a bit of spare cash I hoard so that if that were to happen I would at least have a backlog of books to read. Of course if things got really bad I could also use them as fuel. I know this is pathological, but I'm working on it.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    I envy these short stacks.