Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

I've finally come to terms that we'll never get another fun, electro-pop album from Bjork again. It's gonna be challenging, avant-garde music from here out out.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

^Aye, I hope not! She did Volta after a run of three increasingly avant-garde projects. I haven't really warmed up to Vulnicura yet.

Here comes a bit of a rant but to be honest, I'm surprised - and frankly, a bit tired of hearing that anyone would expect an 'electro-pop' album from Björk at this point. Sure, Debut and Post might've had some pop qualities (among tracks like "Headphones", "The Anchor Song" or "Cover Me", mind you) but that was well over 20 years ago. Since Homogenic she's been growing as a composer and arranger (the choir arrangements on Biophilia and string ones on Vulnicura are incredibly impressive, and they're all done by her, not commissioned) as well as incorporating leftfield electronic production into her work. Is anyone still really hoping for an album of 4/4 synthpop bangers from her? In 2016? Clumsy comparison but it's a bit like wishing that PJ Harvey would suddenly go back to the '91-'93 rock trio format and try imitating Nirvana - which she never did back then, just like Björk never made a record of chart-topping stompers, really.

I also don't really understand the Arca criticisms but, well, each to their own. To me he's one of the most exciting people out there right now (and a member of an incredible group of like-minded musicians who are slowly becoming the most important players on the electronic music scene, thank goodness!), so I'm really happy they're working together again. I don't think the Vulnicura songs sound like "Arca feat. Björk" at all - his influence and production compliments her compositions and isn't overbearing. It's especially obvious when you listen to the stripped-down Vulnicura Strings - you can hear how strong these compositions and arrangements are; with or without the electronic programming.

You're right that we shouldn't read too much into the "utopia" description, though. In the early stages of writing Biophilia she made a comments that she was exploring 'chocolate brass' arrangements. Things change over time.

Tbh, when I think of Bjork doing "electro pop", I imagine something like Mutual Core or Declare Independence. And I'm ok with that. I just don't really think she's going to make an album full of songs like those.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

During the press conference at the opening of the Mexican exhibition Bjork shared her usual "uniting nature with technology" mantra, but also offered a few interesting tidbits:

1. The Auditorio Nacional concert is going to be acoustic, like the strings concerts in London and Reykjavik.
    2. The Ceremonia Festival concert is going to be 'happy and celebratory', with Arca joining her on elecronics, and will feature some 'surprises'.
    3. She might do some spontaneous DJ sets around the time of those concerts.
    4. They are not making any more VR videos for Vulnicura, so the VR album will not be completed after all, but they're going to release the ones created so far online.
    5. The current focus is 'totally on the new album'. (This makes me think that the 'surprise' @ Ceremonia Festival might be a new song or two - especially since the album is already finished.)
    6. Said new album features collaboration with Arca but it's different to the one on Vulnicura, when he joined in after the songs had been already written and the string arrangements had been made. This time they're working together from scratch.

^That sounds really cool, thanks for posting! We know that the Disney Hall show in May will feature a full orchestra but I wonder if there'll be electronics accompanying it. I have a feeling that while maybe not "electro-pop" this new album upcoming will be more straightforward! Bjork did say she was going for a "utopia" sound.

She indeed used the words "happy", "utopia" and "dream" to describe the flavour of the new album, so perhaps she's doing a complete 180 after the heartbreak of Vulnicura. I wouldn't count on anything particularly immediate or poppy, but at least not angsty and depressing. Hopeful flutes instead of tortured strings? If the rumours I hear are true, we'll know in the autumn.

Maybe something like Atom Dance. Did she say the album is finished during the press conference?
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Ya, I think Vulnicura, as a whole, is an album that I admire more than like. Atom Dance, Quicksand, Mouth Mantra I can get into but the rest don't really connect with me. I think one reason is that she largely forgoes the verse-chorus-verse structure that I love in most of her work. Not that she hasn't been more avant or atypical in how she sings on past records but I just feel she went a bit off the rails with this one. I have to give the whole thing another closer more detailed listen but I think, like Medulla, she went really far into experimentation and it left me feeling distanced. I am really stoked about seeing her live in May, and with a full orchestra I imagine she'll be playing a lot of Vulnicura songs and maybe then it'll click with me more.

Andrew Thomas Huang, Bjork's video collaborator is working on their next video. And about the new album:

I think it's a bit too early for me to say at the moment, but, you know, Björk's already written quite a bit of it. We just want to evolve what we did in Vulnicura, which was so personal and introspective. What I can say is this new album's gonna be really future-facing, in a hopeful way that I think is needed right now. I'm excited. It will probably be utilizing more of my visual effects background as well.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/03/21/p...video-no-shape
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

I can't fucking wait!

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Yes, it's been way too long.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

There's a new interview in Dazed (out Aug 3rd).

The photos and the title ("Paradise Found") seem to reference her new direction so perhaps we'll get some details about the upcoming album.

ETA: Arca confirmed on social media that the cover story in Dazed is indeed about the new album, which is ready and will be out soon.
    Last edited by rubidoux; 08-01-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Those pics are AMAZING. GAH.

Bjork as a flower. Just gorgeous. What would we do without her?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Ready for this.