Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

This is a divisive album. After sitting with it for a few days, I cannot tell if it's a masterpiece or a disaster. I think the early press is hard to reconcile with the final album because I don't imagine anyone hearing this will say "Wow! How light and airy!" Utopia is heavy. The layers are almost suffocating and each element stands outside the mix. For better or worse, this is her first album I can believe was created in GarageBand. There are some beautiful flute arrangements, but the vocals and beats actively work against the melody most of the time. The nature sounds seem intentionally shoe-horned in rather than woven among the other noises.

Somehow I think it works. I have a hard time telling where tracks begin and end, so it does feel like one big conceptual composition vs. "an album." On that basis I believe it's a success - an ambient soundscape. Vulnicura referenced some of her past glories, but Utopia doesn't seem to have as much in common. Blissing Me is the outlier since it does sound like a missing link between Ambergris March and Batabid as described. Otherwise I feel like this is new ground. Early favorites are Features Creatures; Loss; and parts of Body Memory.

I don't mind the lyrics - for me nothing will trump "a suicide bomber made to look pregnant."

First Björk album ever that makes me feel bored/disappointed/indifferent from beginning to end. All those stupid beats seem totally forced into the songs a la Sacrifice. Loss and Sue Me are horrible. Hoping that the HQ version is a little less messy and I'm in a better mood when I listen to this again.

I'm in love with Saint.

Paradisa is the new Frosti.
    Last edited by Alamo; Yesterday at 11:31 PM.

I attempted to listen to Utopia last night but my MP3 player had the tracklist backwards and I was feeling sleepy anyway so I ended up only listening to Arisen My Senses. Pretty, but the layers overwhelmed me!

And for those who have already heard Utopia from beginning to end, be honest: is the album basically a 70+ minute layered version of Glora?

I don’t know. I think the album has moments of exquisite beauty. Arisen My Senses, Blissing Me, The Gate, Utopia, Courtship, Loss, Sue Me, Saint, and Future Forever are all good to fantastic, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gale View Post
    is the album basically a 70+ minute layered version of Glora?
    I can't tell if you think this is a bad thing or not!

Actually, I'm a little disappointed in the flute arrangements right now. I was hoping for something more... deliberate? I've admired her arranging skills for a while now, and she's usually so precise - a lot of the brass stuff on DR9, or the strings on stuff like "Stonemilker" or "Sod Off" or "You've Been Flirting Again", for example. Never a note out of place.

But these flutes are different. Sometimes it sounds like she mashed buttons on a keyboard.

https://www.murmrr.com/event/1597468..._medium=243741

Pitchfork's "In Sight Out" series with guest speaker Björk

Writing credits:

Apparently the vinyl edition of the album has a shuffled around track order (going to try out this flow):

My vinyl has shipped from rough trade. I’m very curious to listen to it-it seems to be very diversive

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I don’t know. I think the album has moments of exquisite beauty. Arisen My Senses, Blissing Me, The Gate, Utopia, Courtship, Loss, Sue Me, Saint, and Future Forever are all good to fantastic, in my opinion.
    Finally had a full listen through. I completely agree Joey!