Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

I'm at Body Memory and so far listening to this album feels like emotional labor.

yeah...I think body memory/features creatures are hard work ad probably the most dense part of the album. Courtship is a nice reprieve after.

I just had my second listen this morning ... and probably my last.
    It's a shame because I'm a big fan of every album she's done but this is just a big NO, it's awful. I forced myself to listen to the songs but all I wanted to do was to skip them because it was annoying (Courtshipp! Features Creatures!) ...
    She just talks over beats and flutes with no melodies for what seems to be HOURS.

Body Memory could have been great if it was 7 minutes shorter.
    Loss could have been great without all these non-sense beats, same for Sue Me
    Utopia intro is beautiful, but it just doesn't go anywhere after that

See you another time Bjork
    Last edited by Simon; Today at 02:24 PM.

yeah, this is inexplicably terrible. I don't know what happened. it's such a slog, I don't think I'll go back to it as an album. I'll maybe return to some of the songs (Blissing Me is beautiful, Saint, despite the familiar sounding melody, is also promising, parts of Body Memory) while waiting for her next album. lyrically, it's bad but I think I hear her using "kafkaesque" at some point so some reviewers might be happy, I don't know. also, you cannot take bird and nature sounds and turn them into something so sterile, empty, dead. it really IS a tinder album.

I still love Vulnicura very much and my hopes for this one were really high
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I just had my second listen this morning ... and probably my last.
    It's a shame because I'm a big fan of every album she's done but this is just a big NO, it's awful. I forced myself to listen to the songs but all I wanted to do was to skip them because it was annoying (Courtshipp! Features Creatures!) ...
    She just talks over beats and flutes with no melodies for what seems to be HOURS.

Body Memory could have been great if it was 7 minutes shorter.
    Loss could have been great without all these non-sense beats, same for Sue Me
    Utopia intro is beautiful, but it just doesn't go anywhere after that

See you another time Bjork
    I agree with every word of this. To this day, I stood behind every Björk album, including Volta. This album has confused the hell out of me.

Is it really worse than Drawing Restaint 9?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I am knee deep in the dirge that is Utopia. It feels aimless... long form is not really her thing.
    I guess I like "Blissing Me", "Arisen My Senses", "Courtship", "Loss", and "Saint"...? But overall... I cannot see myself revisiting this album.