Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Björk - New Album News Thread (yes, again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Björk - New Album News Thread (yes, again)

As per her facebook statement re: cancelling Vulnicura tours:

dear audience

i would like to thank everyone for the concert last night !!!!!! i have no words to describe how grateful i am for this tour : i would like to thank the crew and the promoters and the musicians and the management , the designers . and most of all my personal little team and the audience !!! these have truly been some of my most sublime moments !! singing this album has been intense and the internal clock of it different to the other ones . it has sort of had to behave in its own little way . both the urgency of the leak and now this sudden closure for reasons beyond my control is characteristic of that . i hope through the years i have earned enough tourkarma points to get your support for this .

i have started writing new songs and feel the best most natural pathway to go is to let this beast flow its natural course and start anew

best intentions

björk

I'm delighted and not at all surprised. It seems to me that Vulnicura was something that she really needed to get out, and now she really needs to go back to the way she usually does things.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Yay, for a new album hopefully sooner than later.

I read that too and then remembered that quote when she said it would have taken a year (or maybe 2 or even 3?? I don't remember) longer if she would have had to do her own beats, which is why she was so happy Arca did them for her?

Which in my mind translated to: we could get a lot more new Björk albums if she stopped doing her own beats + I wonder how long she'll work on her next one.

According to a recent interview with RollingStone.com, she's taking her time:

"I have a few songs, but the way I work, I’m slow. I allow myself time. I cannot promise when this one will be ready. But it’s kind of lulling, it’s going to its own little tempo. It’s pretty similar to the tempos my previous albums have been written in."

If she writes in the same rhythm as back in the day, she's writing one song a month or so. During the Homogenic years, she said it then becomes like the theme of that month.

From the Another Magazine interview:

I'm writing my next thing. I'm still allowing myself to be a submarine; I don't totally have the view of it yet. It's funny, each album is different for me. Like, what comes first? With this one it's maybe the melodies. This is very abstract, but the melodies have a similar kind of shape. But it's really early on, and I don't even know if I should say, but I have got three songs down with Alejandro, who I worked with on the last album. The last album, we sort of call it "hell" - it was like divorce! So we are doing paradise now. Utopia. We have done hell, we have earned some points.
    So Arca is back as the co-producer!

Here is the photoshoot from the magazine:

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    she is so incredible.

Utopian Bjork sounds like a major win to me!
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

When I read 'utopian' the first image/songs I got were All Is Full Of Love and Unison.

Utopian
    Sounds really interesting and she seems inspired Can't wait

That 5th pic would make such a nice album cover!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I really don't want her to work with Arca again. I'm not really fond on his work, and in some moments his beats made Vulnicura excessively complicated. I prefer Vulnicura with strings for that reason: I can find easier the emotion she tried to express. I feel Arca's music is weird just for the sake of weirdness. I really liked what Haxan Cloax (is that the name?) made in Family; I would prefer she works with them. But maybe it turns great, I'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I really don't want her to work with Arca again. I'm not really fond on his work, and in some moments his beats made Vulnicura excessively complicated. I prefer Vulnicura with strings for that reason: I can find easier the emotion she tried to express. I feel Arca's music is weird just for the sake of weirdness. I really liked what Haxan Cloax (is that the name?) made in Family; I would prefer she works with them. But maybe it turns great, I'll have to wait and see.
    I sort of agree. Arca's solo stuff is overrated and feels very one-dimensional. The vast majority of it sounds grating to me. But the biggest reason I'm not crazy about Bjork + Arca again is that I don't like to think about Bjork repeating herself. To me, Vulnicura sometimes felt like an Arca album ft. Bjork. It just sounded too distinctly him. And no matter how much Bjork describes her new album as "utopian" or whatever, I've learned not to put too much stock into her descriptions. She once said the following about Volta:

And because I'd done two or three projects in a row that were quite serious, maybe I just needed to get that out of my system or something. So all I wanted to do for this album was just to have fun and do something that was full-bodied and really up
    And then most of it was not fun nor "up"!

Quote Originally Posted by VampireTampon View Post

And then most of it was not fun nor "up"!
    Well i'd say the first half of Volta was up, that combined with Declare Independence.