Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

I am not very keen on it either. This era has been 50% hit 50% miss so far. Love The Gate and Utopia, but Blissing Me and Arisen My Senses do nothing for me.

Apart from that, I still find the visuals for this era very intriguing. I think this pastel orange/peach is very fitting for this whole Utopian/paradisiac/bird sound theme that she has going on.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I've had Blissing Me stuck in my head for days now. Those alternate versions (harp only, and the one with the whole other melody and lyrics from serpentwithfeet is like a totally different song) are lovely additions too.

I taught my heart to do more than miss him
    Trained it to beat a less desperate rhythm
    Now my heart has gone rogue, it prefers longing
    So, I'll sit here and pretend that you're close to me

I've ended up listening to the three different versions a lot as a mini set. The Harp only version of "Blissing Me" is so beautiful - that harp part is glorious and the panning backing vocals have more impact when moving around the swelling harp sound.

I do find it interesting that the first four videos are meant to be presented in "chronological order" so Björk has shared a playlist of the Utopia videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vrq...1BwFd4V8Ljqdid

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    This album is so beautiful. I really admire what she has tried to do with it, and I think she's largely been successful. It's interesting that both her and Tori Amos have had a somewhat similar reaction to the way the world has turned recently; they've both produced intimate records about finding joy in the personal, and in things that run deeper than the superficially political. I know Bjork didn't go out to make an album with that in mind, but she has said that her mission felt more important after the events of last year, and I've found this album particularly comforting over the past few weeks.

I think the melodies and the way they are arranged are stunning. I'm no piano player, but I've been learning Blissing Me on my tiny keyboard and I've come to really love how simple it is, yet how it grows and develops without ever exactly repeating. Losss is so far one of my favourites. I love how the lullaby-like melody contrasts with the grinding-like beats over the top, it gives me such a clear mental image of the pattern of the music for some reason. I also think the lyrics really capture a lot of the philosophy she's been trying to communicate with this record;

We all are struggling, just doing our best
    We've gone through the grinder, suffered loss
    Lost to, to which everything flows, an absence which
    Attracts floral blooming softly

I've recently read C.S Lewis's A Grief Observed, a beautiful series of essays he published anonymously after the death of his wife. His ideas on grief and loss are reflected a lot in the lyrics of this album. Lewis talks a lot about his crisis of faith brought on by his loss, and how in questioning God he is forced to re-think the foundations of his belief and in doing so, they become stronger. I don't have my copy at home with me so I can't quote directly, but there's a section where he wonders whether a faith grounded in happiness is worth anything at all, and whether the only beliefs that are worth anything are the ones that we can cling to even at our darkest moments. In summery part of what he is asking is whether we truly know who we are until we lose something or someone we care about. I think Bjork is exploring a similar idea here. The images the lyrics conjure are clear and beautiful; like the idea of loss creating a wound that all our energy flows into, in turn growing something new. It's a record with a lot of pain in it, but I really like how optimistic she is about the process of that pain - she is clearly someone who has reflected carefully on her grief and how it has changed her. I think it's incredible how her and Arca have managed to turn that process into sound.

I don't think Bjork is the kind of artist who has a stand-out record, but I think this one is definitely among her strongest so far. It perhaps is a bit overlong, but I'm not too bothered about that. I could listen to that flute-choir for days.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Gorgeous album. Almost a classical album with all the flutes. So Bjork to make an album where flutes and harps are the main instruments.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    I love Utopia! And I'm planning to join a local production featuring materials spanning all her albums this year :3
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Blissing Me is the current song that wakes me up in the morning and it’s pertect. It brings me out of sleep without making me want to hit things. Highly recommend it as an alarm song! Lol.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Blissing Me is the current song that wakes me up in the morning and it’s pertect. It brings me out of sleep without making me want to hit things. Highly recommend it as an alarm song! Lol.
    That’s interesting!!! I could totally see the harp riff as a ring tone. :O

Has anyone heard about whether or not she will tour utopia? like a concert tour, not just random festival appearances..

There's a very funny Facebook group named 'Björk's Vault of Dank Memes' I've been laughing at for the last week. Truly respectful Björk fans with a dark sense of humour there, one of them posted how they'd asked their sister to listen to Utopia and she'd described it as 'somebody yelling at flutes'

Long-time Lurker
    ^ DYING at 'somebody yelling at flutes' 🤣

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    BVoDM has been my hangout lately *peace*

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I'm loving ALL of the remixes. I hope they do the title track, Sue Me and Saint. Something tells me we're gonna get remixes of every song (a la Biophilia) and I hope I'm right!