Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Björk - Utopia - New Album News Thread - [Sept 14 update]

Two new versions of "Blissing Me" - a harp-only one and a duet with serpentwithfeet - have been released on streaming services and iTunes.

"Arisen My Senses" video:

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

She really is on point with the visuals this album. I LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

"Hey, its Arca over there!!"... But seriously, great video..had a bit of a Kate Bush 'Breathing' vibe but its definitely its own thing. This is probably my favorite track off of "Utopia" so I'm glad it got the visual treatment.

I can't believe Björk fans are bullying Arca online. Social media really brings out the worst in some people.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I think Arca, even his own work, is better as a combined musical/visual experience. He's also extremely hot. I would rather he appear in the videos than the music tbh.

I have not listened to this album since it came out... but people comparing it to the ambitious parts of Homogenic and Medulla? Yeah no. Those songs still had melodies, dynamic, structure, etc. Not even the video, wonderful as it is, for Arisen My Senses can save the music. Unless by "light and airy" they meant stepping on a hive of rainbow colored hornets.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 12-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.

^ I think "Arisen My Senses" has more structure and clarity than most of the other tracks on Utopia. It seems very straight-forward in what it wants to do. I haven't listened to the album in about a week but I still feel its better than Vulnicura in parts.

If by structure you're talking about repeating the same 2-note vocal melody over and over on top of a loop, Utopia has plenty of that. I think I would like songs like Arisen my Senses and Blissing Me if they had something like a chorus, but they are literally her repeating the same one line for 5 minutes.

^Hmm are we listening to the same track? Arisen has a clear 4/4 time signature, a series of hypnotic vocal refrains and a distinctly memorable coda. If you were looking for a clearer statement or overture for the rest of that album you couldn't really do better.

One man's hypnotic is another man's droning. I still sometimes play a few Utopia songs to see if anything clicks, but it hasn't happened and likely never will. Things got a bit better after Volta, so I'm confident Bjork will put out another enjoyable album in the future.

Regarding the video: Arca is taking huge bites out of the scenery on it! He's definitely feeling his oats and as opposed to Bjork, makes direct eye contact with the camera. He feels out of place, but that's not his fault and nothing justifies bullying him. And besides: I still wouldn't love the video if he wasn't on it. It's a weird curiosity, but I'm not sure I find it entertaining. There's also more up-close tongue and mouth action than I'm comfortable with.

I want to see a 'making of', though!

I am having a hard time with the videos of "Blissing me", "Utopia" and "Arisen my senses". They feel so... pointless. They add nothing. Visually, "Utopia" is gorgeous, I admit that, but NOTHING HAPPENS. "Blissing me" is almost like a DIY parody video of Björk. I don't even understand what they're trying to say on "Arisen...". The videos are cute but nothing more than that. (I can't stand Arca, seriously. Kid, THIS IS NOT YOUR VIDEO WHY ARE YOU STARING AT THE CAMERA, but ok, Björk loves you).
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Arisen My Senses is a pretty good example of why I find Bjork baffling - the song starts nowhere, goes nowhere. Does it have a time signature? I can't even tell. I just don't know what to do with her music.

Based on responses here, I thought I'd hate this album, so I put off listening to it, but I am frankly loving it, which is a little baffling because I didn't like Vulnicura much at all & never listen to it (or biophilia). I get what people are saying about repetition, but I'm finding it hypnotic & lovely as opposed to droning.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

Arca is the only good thing about that video.