Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divers - the lyrics, what's getting your interest or moving you?

There is a lot of war imagery on this album, or am I the only one picking up on that? It's not just in Waltz but in several songs. There's lots of military jargon.

Yeah - and the ending of Time, As a Symptom

"White star! White ship! Nightjar! Transmit: transcend"

is a military-style command.

(god I love the ending of that song)

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    OMG Time, As a Symptom. The whole thing. So beautiful.

For some reason I always tie "the moment of your greatest joy sustains" in Time, As a Symptom back to the last "and daughter..." stanza in Anecdotes. I always hear "now hush little babe, you don't want to be down in the trenches remembering with me" as the narrator not wanting to indulge in nostalgia because it's bittersweet - the idea of never getting that moment back is too painful. (The ending of Anecdotes gives me a lot of Emily vibes too in the way she represents home and family.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah. View Post
    For some reason I always tie "the moment of your greatest joy sustains" in Time, As a Symptom back to the last "and daughter..." stanza in Anecdotes. I always hear "now hush little babe, you don't want to be down in the trenches remembering with me" as the narrator not wanting to indulge in nostalgia because it's bittersweet - the idea of never getting that moment back is too painful. (The ending of Anecdotes gives me a lot of Emily vibes too in the way she represents home and family.)
    YES to all of this - Time, As a Symptom and Anecdotes are definitely sister songs. Anecdotes is definitely the most Ys-like song on the album, so the Emily comparison is especially apt.

That "hush little babe" section is just so haunting.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    These lyrics are startlingly powerful:

"We seek our name.
    We seek our fame, and our credentials
    (paned in glass, trained to master incidentals).
    Bleach our collar, leech our dollar from our cents:
    the longer you live, the higher the rent."

Fucking wow. Oh, I am a sucker for a turn of phrase that works on multiple levels like that last line, each of them bearing more than a grain of truth.

Genius.com has some great interpretations of songs from the album. You guys should check it out. However, there are things that people have really figured out ( like Sapokanikan is totally nailed down) so if you like searching for the meaning behind the references on your own, I'd be cautious.

I'm still really trying to wrap my head around the ending of Anecdotes. I know that the song combines human warfare and the rituals of Nightjars seamlessly, but like you guys have said, what exactly is happening at the end? Did the person born in Time get reborn as a Nightjar in Anecdotes? Is the narrator a soldier, bird or both? Who is the daughter? Is it the missing daughter from Baby Burch? It's all very complex and I wonder if even Joanna knows exactly what is going on there or if it's just set up to raise questions but not answer them?

ETA: I'm astounded by how she crafted this album. SO MUCH THOUGHT went into this. Like in the interview where she explained that there was a song where she declared "Love is a symptom of time" and then stated that she was wrong in Time but left that song off.
    Last edited by Adam; 10-31-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    "Our lives come easy
    And our lives come hard.
    And we carry them like a pack of cards
    Some we don't use
    But we don't discard
    But keep for a rainy day"

Divers, The Things I Say, and Leaving the City at all really hitting me now.

I dream it every night:
    The ringing of the pail, the motes of sand dislodged, the shucking, quick and bright:
    The twinned and cast off shells reveal a single heart of white

!Yepa, Yepa, Arriba, Ándale! pepiux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I dream it every night:
    The ringing of the pail, the motes of sand dislodged, the shucking, quick and bright:
    The twinned and cast off shells reveal a single heart of white

This is my favorite part of the song!