Thread: PrEP thread!

Question PrEP thread!

So I work in gay men's health and PrEP has been all the talk for the past year or so. At my job, we participated in the IPERGAY study, which studied the efficacy of PrEP on-demand (vs continuous) and established an efficiency near 85%. It's a gigantic step forward in HIV prevention, but outside of the field, I'm not sure any thorough discussion is happening beyond the ridiculous (and thankfully reclaimed) #TruvadaWhore. I know access in Quebec is getting easier and easier everyday as we're informing health care providers, and I know a similar push is happening in California, but British Columbia, for example, has lots of systemic barriers to accessing it. And I've been seeing it on dating apps, which is great!

Are you on PrEP? Do you have questions about PrEP? Do you know what PrEP is? Ask ask ask.

Also, this video is wonderful if you'd like to know more about what PrEP is, how it works, and if you could use it.

PrEP is not available here yet, unfortunately. There's a trial happening right now with ± 300 gay men that got selected through a lottery, but I got like number 560 or something. Not that I feel like I should be getting special treatment as a writer, but I would have written about PrEP and my experiences with it (and how it changes or doesn't change my views on safe sex) on a monthly basis but alas, they didn't think it was fair to give it to me anyway.

I think it's really interesting though. And I'm really curious what it will do to they way we have sex. I mean, whenever I have sex with someone, hiv is the thing I worry about. It's what makes me put on a condom. Of course I'd rather not get an STD at all, but if it's something I can just get a shot for or take 2 pills for, sure it's inconvenient, but I can handle it. So what if you can take something that basically makes you immune to hiv? I'm not sure if I would be putting on a condom anymore all the time.

Did an interview about PrEP with an American doctor who has been active in hiv and aids-related research (and in the field) for over 30 years. He said some super interesting stuff, which I hope the article conveys
    https://www.yumpu.com/nl/document/vi...gustus-2016/12