Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorism threat thread

I've been reading the #Manchester on twitter and watching Trump supporters retweet something Nigel Farage wrote about this attack targeting kids. Keep in mind these are the same assholes who think mentally ill people should be able to buy guns, because obviously we haven't learned anything in this country after Sandy Hook, yet we can tell the UK what to do regarding immigration. Fuck off!

Social media as a whole is vile. Within minutes of the attack there were jokes, fake stories, and accusations flying on Twitter. Accounts are posting pictures of teens who aren't even involved with comments like "this is my autistic brother, no one has heard from him since the concert! Please retweet!" People are posting pictures of dead bodies in pools of blood from the Bataclan attack in Paris and claiming it's from the Manchester attack. Someone spread a rumor that a gunman was shooting people outside of the Oldham hospital and that went viral even though it was totally untrue and unconfirmed. I fucking hate people. Extremist Islam isn't the only cancer we're dealing with -- shitty, heartless, stupid people also seem to be more and more prevalent.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    This is beyond horrible and coward, and it's only going to make lives worse for everyone, but that's what they want- chaos and fear. Has it been confirmed who is behind it? I think we all know the answer who is it, but you never know.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    =(. Just horrible. Horrible.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

there are wonders working inside me Red_Rose's Avatar
    I've been hearing Tori sing "Seaside" in my mind all day. "Heard from the TV of the latest bombing...the girls were dancing, she was coming of age. Shells fired out, flowers mowed down, innocence targeted, whose God is this?"

Yeah. I'm just so sad. Tired of war, tired of hatred. So many of us have lost our humanity in this nightmare war. The other inner voice I hear a lot is Orwell's. "Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia..." Whether it's left or right, Islam or Christianity, Nazis or Communists, nationalists or globalists, these extremists and their unrelenting savagery are destroying all of us caught in the middle. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rose View Post
    I've been hearing Tori sing "Seaside" in my mind all day. "Heard from the TV of the latest bombing...the girls were dancing, she was coming of age. Shells fired out, flowers mowed down, innocence targeted, whose God is this?"
    I was watching Jeopardy with my husband and Alex Trebek had just asked the final "answer" about which was the biggest city in England. I shouted out, "Birmingham? Manchester?" That's when they cut away for the special report about the bombing. It freaked my husband out for a second.

*edit* I shared the cheesiest video ever made of this song on FB because it showed the lyrics and I wanted my non-English speaking friends to understand them. Hopefully they found it comforting.

British PM Theresa May: UK increasing terror threat level from severe to critical, believes another attack imminent.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    British PM Theresa May: UK increasing terror threat level from severe to critical, believes another attack imminent
    The strange thing is, a 'Critical' level terror threat is supposed to mean a total shut down of the transport network, the closure of schools or things at that sort of level. It's what they'd use if there were an imminent nuclear attack. But nothing of that sort is happening. The official advice from the Met is to keep going as normal and just be 'vigilant' (what does that even mean, really?), which makes me wonder why they bothered to up the threat in the first place, especially if they are not going to proceed under the terms of that threat level. Of course the advice is given to the government by a 'neutral service' but I can't help thinking about how much influence this will have on the election.

I keep on deleting and rewriting my response about this. Is it okay to be a weird mixture of numb, guilt and sad?

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Just write, whether you post it or not, with Unf audience in mind. It always helps me make sense of stuff and improve on that helpless feeling "dramatic *sips tea*".
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

:(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40146916

Police are responding to reports that a van has hit a number of pedestrians on London Bridge in central London.
    Armed officers were sent to the scene after witnesses reported seeing a white van mount the pavement and drive into people.
    The Met Police say they are dealing with an incident on the bridge and "multiple resources" are in attendance.
    Transport for London said the bridge has been closed in both directions due to a "major police incident".
    Five or six people are being treated for injuries, according to the latest report.

Just read that police are responding to an incident at Borough Market as well.

Two people stabbed at a restaurant near London Bridge. Shots fired.

I'm scared of the world my son will grow up in I'm from close to Manchester, i was at london Bridge a month ago, my bf just told me he doesn't want me going to london in a month when i'm meant to go, but i told him the day after the bomb i didn't want him to go to work (he works in the city centre of Manc, gets the train in to Victoria station under the arena every day). My sister has the attitude it can happoen anywhere so what's the point in hiding away.... true i guess, but it doesn't stop you being afriad of losing your family or them losing you. Sorry.. rambling.