Thread: Play by forum: the Resistance. Sign-ups open.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar

Play by forum: the Resistance. Sign-ups open.

ETA: *SIGN UPS CLOSED*

-------------------------------

Don't know if this will work here....but for Pete's sake, this is a games forum, shall we not play a game with each other through the forum? Could be fun! Let us see if we can get enough people together, yes? We need 5 to 10 to play.

The Resistance is a maffia / werewolf like game (difference is, it is very interesting, and nobody dies during the game). Have good experiences with it on other forums in a "Play by Forum" style. It is a simple game in which you have to try and figure out which other players are the spies. Or if you are a spy yourself, sabotage the good guys. I am more than willing to moderate a first game (thus refrain from playing myself).

Anyone can play, as it is extremely simple, and I'll talk you through it all the way (as the moderator of the game I'll be neutral like Switzerland)! You can fire questions at me through PM. Once we start, there will have to be a non-strict 48 hour deadline of at least checking in on the thread (but during weekends this time limit is not applied)

Here follow the rules for play by forum (May seem like a lot of rules, but once you start playing it is very simple).

Role assignment
    First, after we have a group of people that want to play, I'll assign everyone a secret role through PM. You are either a loyal servant of King Arthur of Camelot (aka good guy/girl) or an evil hearted traitor serving Mordred (aks as a spy). As a spy, you'll know who the other spies are! It is always important to never outright reveal yourself as a spy! Try to lie your way out, always.

Goal of the game
    I'll determine a random seating order, the game can then be started. It is played out over a maximum of 5 rounds; each round consists of an assign/vote phase and a mission phase; and each round will end with a mission either succeeding or failing. As a soon as three missions fail, the evil spies win. As soon as three missions succeed, in principle, the good guys win.

The assign/vote phase
    A round starts with the person that has the "Leader token" (first "Leader random). This "Leader" proposes a team of the set number of people to go on the current mission. This will usually include him or herself. Everyone, including the Leader, then sends a PM to the mod "Approve" or "Decline" for the proposed team to go on the mission. The mod then reveals what everyone voted in one single post. This is open information. Everyone will know whether you voted yes or no for mission to go. If the majority of the votes is "Approve", the team goes on mission. If not, the team does not go, and the "Leader token" passes to the next person in the seating order; the new "Leader" can then propose a team for the current mission. A team can only be rejected 4 times in a row. The 5th proposed team will always automatically be goin on a mission.

The mission phase
    Every member on the team that was voted yes on now sends a PM to the mod with either "Success" or "Fail'. This is actually the only thing that is done on a mission. It will remain secret who exactly played what card. If you are loyal to Camelot, you can only play "Success". If you are evil, you are welcome to either play a "Success" or a "Fail" card! The cards are then revealed by the mod (without revealing who played what); if there are only "Success" card, the mission succeeds. If there is but one "Fail" card, the mission fails. The "Leader token" is passed to the next in the seating order, and the assign/vote phase for the next mission starts.

There is a catch...

So far I have described a simple game of Resistance, but for forum play, the "Avalon" variant is much more fun. This means that the general game is as described above, but there are slight differences between the roles on both sides, mostly regarding some information some people have right from the start. Here are the differences described;

the goodies....
    Loyal to Camelot; you are simply loyal, and have no information about any of the others. Your goal is to basically succeed three missions.
    Merlin; you are also Loyal. However, you know who the spies are! Be careful with that information, because if the spies can point you out after the third mission succeeds, you will still lose the game and the spies will win!!
    Percival; you know the two people who got assigned the roles of Merlin and Morgana, but not who is who.

the baddies....
    Minion of Mordred; you are a traitor, a spy! You know who your fellow spies are. Your basic goal is to fail three missions.
    Morgana; you are also a simple spy knowing who your fellow spies are, but Percival may think you are Merlin instead. Play deviously and clever!
    Assassin; Another basic spy in principle. However, if the good ones succeed three missions, you can discuss with your fellow spies who you think Merlin is. You have the final say in pointing him out (and thereby assassinatnig him!). If Merlin is assassinated, the spies win!!

A note; there can be no communication outside of the game thread about the game, also not through PM. All communication must be out in the open, in the thread. Period. Anything else will break the game.

Don't know if we can even get enough players, but if you want to play, sign up now by posting here!! There is room for 5 to 10 players. Starting date will be determined once and if we have enough players.

Impression of the role cards that get assigned;

impression of a 5-player gameboard, in-game, which I will be posting throughout the game;

(Status in-game of the example; The first two missions were won by team Camelot, as only succes-cards came up on those missions! The third mission a fail card was played, so that got a red token for team Mordred. The round marker indicates that the fourth quest needs to be played; this is a mission needs a proposed team of 3 members. The vote track is on 3, which means the first and second leader's proposed team were rejected by the group. A third leader now needs to propose a group.)

Players
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player 1. soignee
    Player 2. Regina Phalange
    Player 3. fullofwish
    Player 4. just owls
    Player 5. Zach
    Player 6. JayPeaches
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    I'm in!
    Awesome.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'll play. I play on a different forum sometimes and I fucking get OBSESSED even though I die every time. My team usually wins, but I personally die.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll give it a go. I've never done anything like this before!

Welcome aboard. Three is company.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I'll play. I play on a different forum sometimes and I fucking get OBSESSED even though I die every time. My team usually wins, but I personally die.
    Hah, you're bound to like this then as you cannot die during the game; everyone plays till the end.

Here is an episode of Tabletop where they play a game of the old vanilla resistance;

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    I'll give it a go!

Welcome!

One more and we're game; 7 would be ideal.

(Awesome crowd so far btw)

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    this sounds like a lot of fun...I'm in!

I'm in!!

Good, we have a game! Awesome. I'll leave the sign ups open until wednesday, one more player would be ideal.

Sign ups closed. Preparations on my side begin now. Watch your PM box, and make sure there some room in there .

I'll start a new thread for the actual play.