Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 10 favorite actors / actresses

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    THIS IS VERY HARD. Only picking living actors.
    Helen Mirren
    Ian McKellen
    CRAP I knew I was forgetting some people. Also Maggie Smith.

Gary Oldman was nearly my number 10 but then I noticed I had forgotten Jennifer Connelly.

Speaking of Oldman, reminds me that Tim Roth would totally be #11. Knew I had forgotten someone last night!

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    This is unfairly difficult, so I'll also just do living actors:

Mark Rylance
    Ben Whishaw
    Cate Blanchett
    Julie Walters
    Lesley Manville
    Helen McCrory
    Timothy Spall
    Toni Collette
    Jim Broadbent
    Imelda Staunton

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    there are probably 20 more I’d rotate in and out, but these are pretty consistent:

Kate Winslet (can’t wait to see her in Triple 9!!!)
    Michelle Williams
    Viola Davis
    Catherine Keener
    Brenda Blethyn
    Christian Bale
    Celia Weston
    Melissa Leo
    Michael Shannon
    Character Actress Margo Martindale

can’t believe no one has mentioned….

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    This is unfairly difficult, so I'll also just do living actors:

Mark Rylance
    Jim Broadbent
    OMG YES YES YES. Mark Rylance! His performance in Jerusalem is still one of my favoritest things I've seen on stage. And Broadbent can do no wrong.

Ewan McGregor
    I almost picked Ewan for my list but not enough room~

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    OMG YES YES YES. Mark Rylance! His performance in Jerusalem is still one of my favoritest things I've seen on stage. And Broadbent can do no wrong.
    I didn't see Jerusalem, and it still annoys me now. I was at drama school when it was on in London, and after a particularly shit rehearsal, our director left the room saying, "If you want to see people who can actually act, go and see Jerusalem", so out of some weird sense of self-preservation/ego/teenage stubbornness I didn't. I've read it and it's an extraordinary play, and I can only imagine what Rylance was like in that role. He's done a bit more screen work recently (I've not seen Bridge of Spies but he was so excellent in Wolf Hall), which is a mixed blessing because although it means his work will be more widely seen, he'll have less time for stage work which is a shame because he is so phenomenally better than pretty much anyone else when it comes to theatre - it's like he comes from another planet. He's a creature of the boards so I'm sure he won't stay away for long. By all accounts he's also an incredibly lovely man - my friend worked on the box office at the theatre where he and Stephen Fry did Twelfth Night and for opening he bought them a cake with ticket-related slogans all over it.

Broadbent is a machine - so busy and versatile but he makes it all look completely effortless. He recently filmed a BBC series called London Spy (with Ben Whishaw) that started of fantastically but ended weakly, however he was riveting throughout. His character was the protagonist's father figure, but you were never exactly sure what his true intentions were, whether he wanted to fuck Whishaw's character or kill him. With a lesser actor it would have been a complete mess of a role, but he handled it perfectly. He's one of those actors that seems to capture every thought that passes through their character's heads in every single frame, whilst seemingly doing nothing. I love all of his work with Mike Leigh, and he's really fun in things like Moulin Rouge and Harry Potter.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Of course, no one need say who the best actress/actor in the world is. As far as I'm concerned Meryl Streep is on a whole other plane, level of consciousness, frequency. To list her beside anyone is to dishonor her in my book.. so the rest of them..

1 Kate Winslet - I feel like her canon is the most diverse, most emotional. Movies like Jude, Little Children, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.. I have quoted more lines from her movies than any other like this 1.) "It's the hunger. The hunger for an alternative, and the refusal to accept a life of unhappiness." 2.) "Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours." 3.)"Tell me the truth, Frank, remember that? We used to live by it. And you know what's so good about the truth? Everyone knows what it is however long they've lived without it. No one forgets the truth, Frank, they just get better at lying."

2 Angela Bassett - The scene from Waiting to Exhale when she is losing her shit and burns up all her husbands designer fashions in his car is my favorite scene by any actor in any film! She committed to that 100 percent. Her performances in Malcom X, Ruby's Bucket of Blood, so many, many films I don't think have ever really been appreciated in a real way.

3 Sarah Jessica Parker - Sex and the City was the first cable show that I remember waiting all week long for just to get my fix. I love how reliable she is as a performer.. I don't think she'll ever make a film that will garner an Oscar nomination.. but I know she's out-acted a lot of movies she's been in with Oscar winners and nominees. I love her comedic timing and her ability to be vulnerable and fashionable and loveable and hateable in the same moment.

4 Rachel Weisz - She is an actress that has made some of my most favorite smaller films and can also be leading lady in a big studio film with ease. I Want You, Agora, The Constant Gardener, The Fountain

5 Diane Lane - There is something about her acting that is flawless. I think my friends and I watched Unfaithful together more than any other film released that year. The scene on the train where she is recalling her affair.. she is living and dying as we flashback with her.

6. Holly Hunter - When I think about her performance in The Piano and Thirteen and Top of the Lake.. wow. She is a powerhouse.

7. A tie between Kristin Scott Thomas and Madeleine Stowe - There's something about the middle '90s where their work was ever present. Last of the Mohicans and The English Patient were movies my stepmother would watch over and over and I was very little but I loved them too.. and appreciated them even more when I got older.

8. Whoopi Goldberg - The Color Purple, Ghost, Cat Burglar.. and on and on. I think she's had a harder time navigating the acting world as she's aged because she was the go-to for those parts back then.

9. Michelle Pfieffer - She is and will forever be one of my guilty pleasures.. whether it's watching The Age of Innocence, Dangerous Liaisons, What Lies Beneath, Witches of Eastwick, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday... and she'll always be my favorite Catwoman. "A kiss can be even deadlier if you mean it."

10. Nicole Kidman - I think she's an actress that has made the most of what she's gotten. She and Julia Roberts would trade places I think as most paid actress, most publicized actress. Heck, I might tie her with Julia Roberts. I think Nicole has always "gotten it" - She's made some incredible little movies. To Die For is a lesser known work but her ability to make that part comedic in its own way.. no one has done that like her. Rabbit Hole is another little gem that would be nothing without her

Was thinking about including Winona Ryder.. but..
    Last edited by Volta; 01-22-2016 at 03:30 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Was thinking about including Winona Ryder.. but..
    I almost did too. Technically not the best actress out there, but such screen presence and star power in her day. "Unique" is not a word I would apply to many actors, but in the 90s she was in her own league. (Not in terms of acting ability, but more like she had something about her that no one else had.)

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I've not seen Bridge of Spies but he was so excellent in Wolf Hall
    Incidentally I saw the first 3 episodes of Wolf Hall just last night. I love good period dramas and Rylance really is an extraordinary actor. And in my avatar.
    Though mainly for the movie (Institute Benjamenta) and the Brothers Quay who directed it. Is there a top 10 directors thread yet?

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Claire Danes
    Julianne Moore
    Frances Conroy
    Susan Sarandon
    Mark Ruffalo
    Natalie Portman
    Laura Dern
    Adam Scott
    Patrick Wilson
    Kathy Bates

There are SO many more (especially women) that I want to list, but damn, there's 10.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Oh I also really love Samantha Morton and Jennifer Lawrence.

Oh I also really love Samantha Morton and Jennifer Lawrence.
    Samantha Morton is a really good call too, I think she's incredible.

Living and dead:

Ralph Fiennes
    Marlene Dietrich
    Greta Garbo
    Kristen Scott Thomas
    Al Pacino
    Juliette Binoche
    Julianne Moore
    Sebastian Koch
    Dirk Bogarde
    Delholm Elliot

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    ^ Great list! Fiennes, Pacino, Binoche, and Moore are on my list also.