Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your 10 least favourite actors / actresses

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I agree that Bloom isn't particularly talented (and I think most industry people have realised this too), but what part has nepotism played in his career? As far as I'm aware he didn't have any links in before he trained.
    I thought he was Clare Bloom's son. Am I in error? If so, scratch 'neoptism' and leave 'elf wigs'. Add 'wooden actor'.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Neutral View Post
    Like you, however, I do feel resentful at times.
    I don't feel particularly resentful; any of the things we've talked about can be applied to pretty much any industry that is either highly paid or competitive. Law, politics, business etc are all rife with nepotism and incompetence. It's one of the sad facts of life. If you get annoyed about Rafe Spall or Dakota Johnson, remember that George W. Bush and Donald Trump also exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Neutral View Post
    And I think overexposure is part of the problem. I really like Jennifer Lawrence, for instance, but I can't help but get exasperated at the praise being heaped on her, even when she participates in unremarkable films that hardly merit a shower of accolades.
    I don't think that this is a particularly new thing, but maybe it's more obvious now the Hollywood machine is slightly more transparent. Back in the 90s, the Weinsteins decided to make Judi Dench a 'legend actor', and now she wins awards whenever she takes a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lágnætti View Post
    I thought he was Clare Bloom's son. Am I in error? If so, scratch 'neoptism' and leave 'elf wigs'. Add 'wooden actor'.
    I don't think he is. He was just lucky to be graduating from a decent school when Peter Jackson was looking for a sexy elf. I have to be honest, back in the Lord of the Rings days, he was absolutely gorgeous. But I was blinded to the truth that the boy is as dynamic as a lump of driftwood.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk_ View Post
    I don't feel particularly resentful; any of the things we've talked about can be applied to pretty much any industry that is either highly paid or competitive. Law, politics, business etc are all rife with nepotism and incompetence. It's one of the sad facts of life. If you get annoyed about Rafe Spall or Dakota Johnson, remember that George W. Bush and Donald Trump also exist.
    Fair enough. And I actually like Dakota Johnson - and have a less-than-subtle crush on her.

I haven't seen her act much yet, but she's absolutely gorgeous.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I thought she was quite good in that god awful role in 50 shades.

^ Yeah, I agree - the movie was a trainwreck, but she did a very good job in it. Also, whenever anyone questions my crush, this is what I show them:

Last edited by Alpha Neutral; 02-02-2016 at 04:02 PM.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I haven't seen her in anything. I wasn't saying she wasn't any good, I just used her as an example of nepotism.

Who knows, maybe she'll be like Jane Fonda and evolve out of the daughter-of-famous-parents label into a fine actress in her own rite. I've only seen her in Black Mass but I thought she was very good.

She was! She also had one scene in The Social Network and nailed that one, too.

Barack Hussein Obama

Current Robert De Niro is the worst.
    His acting in DOR movies makes me nauseous.

Yeah, but when he gets a good role, he still crushes it. Example: the last three David O. Russell movies. I think he's really invested in the notion of being a tycoon, buying a bunch of shit, so he makes crap movies for the bucks. Forgivable, since he seems to spend on good things like restaurants and the arts. And of course, he started the Tribeca Film Festival. I dunno, I think he could do a hundred more shitty movies and still have a net positive effect on the arts.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I have a lot of people I'd like to list that I think are jerks or arses, people who I can't stand off screen. but that doesn't really mean they're not talented actors. Charlie Sheen, Sasha Baron Cohen, Anne Hatheway, Woody Allen, Daryl Hannah, Billy Bob, The Tilly Sisters and Tom Cruise even Brad Pitt for instance have done a lot of work I love, don't like their personas, but I can't deny the work over a significant amount of time.

So here is my list:
    James Franco
    James Franco
    James Franco
    ok.enough of that witch
    con..
    Jim Parsons
    Halle Berry
    Matt Leblanc
    The entire cast of Entourage
    Lindsay Lohan
    Hillary Duff
    Natalie Portman
    Half the cast of Trueblood
    I've never watched one episode of Mad Men so they might be on the list at some point.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

^ Oh, Jim Parsons.
    I used to think he was great as Sheldon in TBBT, but then I saw Home and I noticed that the only character he can play is Sheldon.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Not true. I saw him on Broadway in The Normal Heart and he was really great and not Sheldon-like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Not true. I saw him on Broadway in The Normal Heart and he was really great and not Sheldon-like at all.
    Agreed! He was fantastic in that and brought all the sass that part required. It's not his fault the BBT is shit.