Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lady Gaga's historic February 2016: Super Bowl, Grammys, Oscars performances

She seems to have shifted her singing style completely since the Oscar's performance. She is singing more...I dunno the word to use...but more like a stage/theatre performer than a pop singer.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    For the Grammys I want full on weird, old school avant-garde Gaga belting out a soulful Space Oddity.

If you want to see the supposed lineup for her Bowie medley tonight, this is rumored to be a leaked track sheet.

I'm so excited to see it. She also got a tattoo of his face on her ribs this weekend... so I think she's taking it all pretty damn seriously.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Thats a lot of songs to cram in there. I hope it works!

I thought she was opening the show? Is that not the case?

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    She also got a tattoo of his face on her ribs this weekend... so I think she's taking it all pretty damn seriously.
    Good god - were they besties?! Personally I live by the "no names, no faces" code of tattoos.

Banned
    I was showing people GaGa's national anthem, telling them I thought it was the best ever. Whitney's was second. I was glad to also see that GaGa thought Whitney's was great in her interview before her own performance.

I wonder if GaGa audibly beat her chest at the end as a "fuck you" to anyone who thought she was miming, even though it was hard to see how anyone could believe she was, just by the phrasing of it, or the obvious microphone technique where she avoided breathiness being picked up by the microphone itself by actively moving it. Obviously, this is less noticeable at first glance and although more understatedly, she is merging sound with the visual aspect of performance. The odd shoes. The body language. Her mind must have been in overdrive, as someone who usually performs with the physical vigour that she does. The sound being controlled by the position of the mic is something that is obviously deliberate, so why not the performance bleeding into the sound itself to sign it off as authentic with the beating of the chest? I do believe she meant to do that to confirm that the performance was live. Even the comments section on YouTube, usually with GaGa, is full of "Mama Monster" or "XTina/Madonna rules/lipsyncs" bullshit. But on that video it was just dominated by people saying what a great job she did.

And I think she knew she would do a great job. Nerves in a situation like that must be the main trouble, but GaGa has such a nerve that she does not experience nervousness. And as she did say in the interview, it was best for such a piece and in such a context to allow the song to perform itself. It not only makes this much more successful, but also suggests that GaGa has extremely artistically refined judgement, and knows what she is doing in every case, which is sometimes hard to determine due to the pastiche/collaborative elements of her work. It is also smart to be accompanied only by a piano player as well, in the sense that she clearly would not have anyone else decide who the pianist was, and he was one who knew her style well and added a definite structure to what she was doing. GaGa certainly would not underestimate the importance of structure in performing the national anthem, although she would also (I would imagine have to be reminded) of her limitations in achieving such structure. But then, any seeming deviations from the traditional timing might have been deliberately constructed, since her timing was flawless when the flyover came.

Anyway, I found myself surprised at having to justify the surprise people had after they watched it by saying, "She's a jazz singer, you know!"

P.S. The Grammys is always weird. But this year I think they are going to start merging different aspects of performance art together into a pop music format much more than usual. Through technology. GaGa is obviously interested in the future, which is now. And she is now. Although, I think she fooled us for a while into thinking she was at a resting stage. If you balance how easy famous people have daily organisation and pampering now compared to in the '80s/'90s (in fact, that applies to all of us), then she will probably never get tired.
    Last edited by Zippo; 02-15-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    If you want to see the supposed lineup for her Bowie medley tonight, this is rumored to be a leaked track sheet.

I'm so excited to see it. She also got a tattoo of his face on her ribs this weekend... so I think she's taking it all pretty damn seriously.
    Aw, no Starman..

She went full-on Bowie for the red carpet.

http://gagaimages.co/thumbnails.php?album=3198

I think she looks absolutely incredible. It's perfect.

Last edited by Alamo; 02-16-2016 at 11:59 AM.

It might be a stupid question, but what what the technological innovation of Intel in that performance?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

intel have hardware inside most of the world's laptops, computers and smartphones. Even Apple use them, which is a big thing, as they usually refuse to work with other companies for their hardware. They are essentially micro processors/CPUs that carry out and contain all the functions, and act as the brain (sorta, kinda) for most hardware.

They aren't exactly known for graphics, but without a CPU/processor there would be no graphics, if you see what I mean. I'm interesting to see what software they used, going to guess at Maya. Honestly I think they were just the money for whatever that performance was. (which I found a bit hollow, sorry :/ ) I would've been more interested in what a Bowie/Gaga collaboration would've been, really.

1. I wish there was more use of the Intel tech, but the parts that did use it were pretty cool. The opening was probably the best part, along with "Heroes" at the end.
    2. There were just toooooo many songs. I wish it was a more streamlined tribute.
    3. Didn't love the wig for the performance.
    4. But her voice sounded great when she focused on the delivery.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    There were too many songs. She should have just done 1 or 2. It did kind of seem like a meth'd up Liza channeling Elvis doing a Bowie impression. (I can't claim the meth'd up Liza observation as my own, saw it on a comment thread and thought it appropriate).

That said, it was campy and fun. I don't know why everyone has got to be so serious about everything. I love the Bowie fans that are like SHE IS RUINING HIS LEGACY. I mean, really?

I believe Bowie's son Duncan tweeted out some snarky comment about the performance.

I thought it was kinda a mess. I couldn't even really focus on any of it cause it kept changing so quickly.

Also, the Bowie tribute was sponsored by Intel? There were Intel commercials featuring Gaga right before and right after the tribute. Something about that just seems wrong.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble