Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lady Gaga's historic February 2016: Super Bowl, Grammys, Oscars performances

Yeah, I wanted to enjoy it, but there's so much going on that it's hard to enjoy. It's trying to cram too many songs into 6 minutes. They could have easily just done a medley of like 3 or 4 songs.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    I thought it was good for what it was, and Gaga is a big Bowie fan, so the fans that are freaking out about the performance need to chill. Yeah, they tried to cram in too many songs, but overall I enjoyed it. As for the Intel thing, it's my understanding that she was supposed to do a performance at the Grammy's with Intel tech before Bowie passed, so they just decided to make it a tribute to him as well.
    Suck it, Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by blissgurl View Post
    I thought it was good for what it was, and Gaga is a big Bowie fan, so the fans that are freaking out about the performance need to chill. Yeah, they tried to cram in too many songs, but overall I enjoyed it. As for the Intel thing, it's my understanding that she was supposed to do a performance at the Grammy's with Intel tech before Bowie passed, so they just decided to make it a tribute to him as well.
    That's correct. They started working on the performance in November-December when it was just an Intel-fueled performance, but they just retooled it for Bowie beginning in January.

I honestly don't know much about Bowie the person, but I think he'd be touched by the tribute because it's clear she felt very passionate about him and his influence on her own art.

I thought the tribute was great. Would have liked to hear a bit more of Space Oddity, Fashion, and Fame.
    Last edited by dAmION; 02-25-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Yeah, that tribute was pretty bad for me. I've watched it a few times to really gather my thoughts and I think it would've been a million times more effective to stick with the performance of Space Oddity. Maybe pull the camera back a bit but in the end, have David's features overlaid on her face instead of his face being on the screen behind her at the end. THAT would've been cool and more fitting as a tribute, I think ( i.e. her performing the tribute but his face "coming" out of hers as a metaphor for his influence on her).

As it was, the medley focused too much on camp, which was only one part of Bowie's career and one he tried to outrun. Had Gaga thought of that, she may have realized that it may not be as "respectful" to only touch on things he was well known for and sort of stuck with throughout his life. It was sort of like someone doing a Gaga tribute and doing songs from The Fame and Fame Monster and using the blond bob and meat dress, ya know? Where was the Berlin trilogy? Or all of his 90's to Blackstar material? I just really had a problem with offering up a very commercialized and singular image of Bowie.

Also, her vocals. At times it was if she was trying to imitate him which was super irritating. And did we need the Elvis sneers and a bunch of spins? And the moving keyboard? That's really when that performance lost me. "Don't lean on me, man" as the keyboard leans is so on your nose and such a dorky decision. It just didn't seem like Bowie at all to me except for the beginning.

I will say that I've immensely enjoyed her post-Artpop performances up until this one, though.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    As it was, the medley focused too much on camp, which was only one part of Bowie's career and one he tried to outrun. Had Gaga thought of that, she may have realized that it may not be as "respectful" to only touch on things he was well known for and sort of stuck with throughout his life. It was sort of like someone doing a Gaga tribute and doing songs from The Fame and Fame Monster and using the blond bob and meat dress, ya know? Where was the Berlin trilogy? Or all of his 90's to Blackstar material? I just really had a problem with offering up a very commercialized and singular image of Bowie.
    I think the medley was focused on his most well-known songs, not camp. I mean I love the Berlin trilogy (and she did do Heroes for what it's worth) and Blackstar but come on..there's no way she could have covered his entire career in that amount of time, and I don't think that's what she and Niles were intending to do. I get why people feel so strongly about this but it's not as if this was intended to be the definitive retrospective and eulogy for Bowie, it's one performance in tribute to him by a friend and an artist who was obviously hugely influenced by him. I thought it was a nice celebration of some of his most popular songs, and I liked the joyful vibe it had.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 02-22-2016 at 01:45 PM.

You're right. I overlooked Heroes. However, I wasn't implying that she should've crammed more into the medley to get every era in there, but that the medley form itself was the problem. It just, imo, didn't lend itself to an artist whose name is synonymous with change because of his ability to change his image and sound at the drop of a hat. When someone is SO known for their distinctively different eras, a medley just doesn't make sense to me if you're only going to cover a portion of that person's long career.

I just watched Lorde do a tribute for him at the Brit awards and liked her approach ( or Gerry Leonard's for that matter as he was playing guitar on stage and was Bowie's musical director for quite some time....so maybe he was in charge of the tribute to an extent?). The band did an instrumental medley at first and then she came out and did all of Life On Mars. It was just more effective for me because you got to focus on a song for longer than a few seconds.

Yeah I definitely preferred Lorde's approach, but it was just different from Gaga's. I liked both overall.

Oscars performance this Sunday!

Joe Biden will introduce Gaga at the Oscars.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Pro: Incredible performance. She nailed the big notes with perfect clarity. Powerful ending.

Con: She lost to Sam Fucking Smith who embarrassed himself by claiming to be the only openly gay man to win an Oscar. He was god awful when he performed earlier in the night, too.

(AHOHNI should have won, honestly. I still am not a fan of "Til It Happens To You)

This was my favorite performance this month, miles better than the Bowie tribute and the Super Bowl IMO. I still don't think it's a great song but it was so much better than the recorded version. The passion and voice was there tonight and lots of people in the audience look genuinely moved.

And yeah, fuck Sam Smith. That song is dreadful. It's a shame Antony wasn't there.

That was an incredible performance. She killed it. And that's one of the worse Bond songs ever. How did it win? He was also off pitch almost the entire performance.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    i can't stand Sam Smith. ugh.