Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 292

Thread: New Supreme Court Justice, 2016 (Now with 100% more 2018!)

  1. #46
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,841
    OMG. Any hope we had of taking back the senate and possibly getting the house back ends now. Many republicans that sit out mid-terms will definitely show up and show out to get rid of Roe v. Wade. It is the #1 motivating factor in any election. Mike Pence is probably doing the Macarena as I type this. And we're defending so many senate seats in "Trump 'red states.'"

    Even if the court doesn't eliminate abortion completely, they'll side with laws and lower courts that can all but outlaw them state by state.
    Senator Donnelley, my democratic senator, will surely have to vote for any Trump nominee just like he did when he voted for Gorsuch.

    I just hope that Ginsberg can hold on for a couple more years. If he gets to replace her, as well.. we will have a conservative court for some of our lifetimes. It sucks that something we all anticipated is actually happening.

    But I believe in the American people. There will be a resistance. It might take time.. decades.. but we'll figure out a way, I have to hope, to provide women with the services they need. It's going to take more courage than I or many of you have for doctors to go underground.
    I'm way too far ahead at this point.
    Last edited by Volta; 06-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

  2. #47
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,843
    Seriously, what the FUCK.


  3. #48
    And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where it's Wild and Wonderful
    Posts
    788
    Manchin got a strongly worded letter from me today. I felt better for a minute until I remembered who he's shown himself to be.

  4. #49
    fire up the quattro SMMY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,036
    It looks like it is Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court.

    ETA: Sen. Collins won't be attending Trump's announcement, so make of that what you will.

  5. #50
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    Maddow reporting kavanaugh clerked for Kennedy. Given the whole big picture of his resignation I wonder how much this choice had to do with its timing.

  6. #51
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,843
    Kennedy’s son working for Deutsche Bank and helping Trump secure over $1bn in loans is all I had to hear. This was no coincidence. The whole fucking system is corrupt.

  7. #52
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,841
    This dude wasn't really chosen because of his stance on abortion or his vote to keep ACA. He was chosen because he said "The indictment and trial of a sitting president would cripple the federal government."
    Presidents should not be subjected to criminal or civil lawsuits while in office.

    This is such a Trump thing to do. It's almost comical. Of course, Donald Trump is going to put a guy up who would have the deciding vote if he could even be served a subpoena.
    Trump first. Everything else is secondary. And the extreme right and left are just going to have to stew.

    He's had 300 opinions and has only voted once on an abortion case where he denied an undocumented teenager in HHS custody access to an abortion. But he also voted to keep ACA.
    I think Manchin, Heitkamp and Donnelley will have to vote for him. I don't see Murkowski or Collins voting against him.\

    My immediate fear is that he doesn't support equality for women's healthcare. He believes an employer has the right to determine if their female employees have a right to contraception.
    Ok.. nevermind on him being lax on abortion. And he's extremely anti-environment. uhg
    Last edited by Volta; 07-10-2018 at 03:18 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

  8. #53
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    This guy is garbage. You know how I know he's garbage? He'd accept a nomination from *trump*. I don't care how much you want it, that shit don't wash off. You put ambition over integrity to do ANYTHING in this administration (other than if you were just like a regular worker in the government at large) and you are by definition garbage. Period.

    And fine, say you disagree with my assessment that the one who nominates you says a lot about *you*, well, there's this



    Sycophantic creep.

    Also? Giant fucking hypocrite. Worked for Ken Starr. I believe in the big Clinton to-do, not like at another time. So I guess investigating presidents is ok when conservatives investigate centrist Dems and people further to the left.

    Has anyone else thought about how petty and vicious and partisan the Whitewater investigation was? How it was considered legitimate for years? And yet one of the most trustworthy REPUBLICANS spending like 53 weeks investigating Trump is somehow too much? Liars. Liars and hypocrites.

  9. #54
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239


    Furthermore, the five names Trump added to his list of Federalist Approved judges last November was to get Kavanaugh on that list. The other four names were considered cover, per source.

    In other words: the decision has been baked for a while:
    W/ @frankthorp

    To be clear: This is from one source and dont have any info on whether potus talked to kennedy about a possible replacement.

  10. #55
    Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    This dude wasn't really chosen because of his stance on abortion or his vote to keep ACA. He was chosen because he said "The indictment and trial of a sitting president would cripple the federal government."
    Presidents should not be subjected to criminal or civil lawsuits while in office.

    This is such a Trump thing to do. It's almost comical. Of course, Donald Trump is going to put a guy up who would have the deciding vote if he could even be served a subpoena.
    Trump first. Everything else is secondary. And the extreme right and left are just going to have to stew.
    This is absolutely why. Absolutely - and anyone who doesn't see it is lying or stupid or is walking in-step with the idea. At this point, I almost don't care what the Dems have to do to try to delay, block, whatever. Fucking do it.

  11. #56
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    Correction to something I posted before:


  12. #57
    entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    5,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    This guy is garbage. You know how I know he's garbage? He'd accept a nomination from *trump*. I don't care how much you want it, that shit don't wash off. You put ambition over integrity to do ANYTHING in this administration (other than if you were just like a regular worker in the government at large) and you are by definition garbage. Period.

    And fine, say you disagree with my assessment that the one who nominates you says a lot about *you*, well, there's this



    Sycophantic creep.

    Also? Giant fucking hypocrite. Worked for Ken Starr. I believe in the big Clinton to-do, not like at another time. So I guess investigating presidents is ok when conservatives investigate centrist Dems and people further to the left.

    Has anyone else thought about how petty and vicious and partisan the Whitewater investigation was? How it was considered legitimate for years? And yet one of the most trustworthy REPUBLICANS spending like 53 weeks investigating Trump is somehow too much? Liars. Liars and hypocrites.
    Last night someone on the 11th Hour with Brian Williams spun that in a way that made it feel like Kavanaugh saw first hand just how destructive a presidential impeachment is to democracy and the governments ability to get work done.
    So the spin is it was the horrible Starr Report that made this man realize that President's need to be left alone until they are out of office. Whatever.

    Now that i've read more articles and listened to some local news.. this appointment is a bit odd. This guy in one segment is being called one of the best opinion writers in federal court, and also is known as the "Forrest Gump" of jurists.

    But of that list this was the less extreme judge on abortion and sexual morality. At least that was my assessment. It was always going to be bad but not as bad.

    Encouraging however was just how fast protesters were gathering at the Supreme Court at the same time the announcement was being made. That's really incredible. The women of this country are so organized, so ready. Stay Woke, as they say.
    Last edited by Volta; 07-11-2018 at 02:24 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

  13. #58
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Last night someone on the 11th Hour with Brian Williams spun that in a way that made it feel like Kavanaugh saw first hand just how destructive a presidential impeachment is to democracy and the governments ability to get work done.
    So the spin is it was the horrible Starr Report that made this man realize that President's need to be left alone until they are out of office. Whatever.

    Now that i've read more articles and listened to some local news.. this appointment is a bit odd. This guy in one segment is being called one of the best opinion writers in federal court, and also is known as the "Forrest Gump" of jurists.

    But of that list this was the less extreme judge on abortion and sexual morality. At least that was my assessment. It was always going to be bad but not as bad.
    I'd give that a reasonable chance of being true if literally the first words out of his mouth were LIES.

    We know nothing (VOX podcast Weeds said) except he's a lifelong conservative and a liar.

  14. #59
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    what a weirdo (not that I think sports are teh evul or anything, but he's a grown ass man with children and presumably a mortgage and/or student loans)


  15. #60
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,239
    He's still a weirdo and he's double garbage


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •