Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: New Supreme Court Justice, 2016 (Now with 100% more 2018!)

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Not just Squi... but everyone else who knows something. Lots of people know something.

This article really sums it up well and shows how those lots of people who know something isn't something to just giggle at

The REAL Devil’s Triangle: Moscow, the Alt-Right, and GOP Congressional Staffers

The problem with Kavanaugh is manifold: first, that he had six-figure credit card debts paid off by creditors whose identity we still don’t know; second, that he lied during his initial testimony; third, that he has been credibly accused of sexual assault, and all available evidence appears to bolster the charge (I’m not counting his denials as evidence, however vehement, or however much he swears to God); and, fourth, that he lied repeatedly about almost everything about the accusation, under oath, as he angrily snapped at the (mostly female) senators who dared to question him. If Kavanaugh were a leftist progressive, I would still be opposed to his appointment to such a prestigious and important position, based on these reasons. Plenty of rational outfits, including the American Bar Association and the Jesuits, neither to be confused with tree-huggery, seem to agree.

When Justice Anthony Kennedy unexpectedly decided to retire, we learned that his son, Justin Kennedy, was global head of Deutsche Bank’s real-estate capital markets division when that division was literally the only financial institution in the Western world that would lend money to Donald Trump after Trump’s numerous bankruptcies. This was a shock. While the Justin Kennedy-Trump relationship wasn’t quite as egregious as some have claimed, it still rightly raised eyebrows.

Brett Kavanaugh, for years a GOP legal operative, once clerked for Justice Kennedy, and reportedly it was Kennedy who suggested, if not insisted, that he succeed him. For Kavanaugh was not on the original list of nominees Trump had been given, the astute reader may recall. But his record, and experience toeing the far-right party line, suggests that he, alone among the potential nominees, would rule in Trump’s favor, should questions reach the Court concerning, say, whether a president can pardon himself. Sometime between last year and his nomination, all of his debts were paid off.

Whatever happens with Dr. Ford and the sexual assault claim, whoever paid off those debts owns Judge Kavanaugh. I have stated many times that he will not withdraw his nomination because his creditors will not allow it. Nothing we’ve learned in the last week has changed that opinion. Kavanaugh exactly fits the profile of a guy the FSB targets to turn. We already have a Russian asset in the White House, and a bunch more in Congress. We cannot risk having the Supreme Court contaminated as well.

Mitch has scheduled a vote for later this week. Not sure if it's before the FBI is supposed to be done. Supposedly the restrictions have been lifted off the FBI, but the process was already contaminated, imo.

And now this

Text messages suggest Kavanaugh wanted to refute accuser's claim before it became public

He claims he didn't hear of this lady's claims before he read the article, so then why were he and his douchebros yapping about it prior to publication?

In the days leading up to a public allegation that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh exposed himself to a college classmate, the judge and his team were communicating behind the scenes with friends to refute the claim, according to text messages obtained by NBC News.

Kerry Berchem, who was at Yale with both Kavanaugh and his accuser, Deborah Ramirez, has tried to get those messages to the FBI for its newly reopened investigation into the matter but says she has yet to be contacted by the bureau.

The texts between Berchem and Karen Yarasavage, both friends of Kavanaugh, suggest that the nominee was personally talking with former classmates about Ramirez’s story in advance of the New Yorker article that made her allegation public. In one message, Yarasavage said Kavanaugh asked her to go on the record in his defense. Two other messages show communication between Kavanaugh's team and former classmates in advance of the story.

The texts also demonstrate that Kavanaugh and Ramirez were more socially connected than previously understood and that Ramirez was uncomfortable around Kavanaugh when they saw each other at a wedding 10 years after they graduated. Berchem's efforts also show that some potential witnesses have been unable to get important information to the FBI.

Further, the texts show Kavanaugh may need to be questioned about how far back he anticipated that Ramirez would air allegations against him. Berchem says in her memo that Kavanaugh “and/or” his friends “may have initiated an anticipatory narrative” as early as July to “conceal or discredit” Ramirez.

That’s easy — reporters call sources to verify information and interview witnesses. I’m sure Kavanaugh and lots of the GOP knew the story was being written before it was published.

However, I’d think texting people to ask them to vouch for you is not a good look. In a criminal investigation that would be witness tampering, and maybe an attempt at obstruction if you asked people to lie for you or discouraged them from cooperating. This whole process has proved that he’s shady, unethical, and a liar. That alone should disqualify him from a Supreme Court sear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That’s easy — reporters call sources to verify information and interview witnesses. I’m sure Kavanaugh and lots of the GOP knew the story was being written before it was published.
    Oh, I knew the HOW, but I was making a sarcastic point because he told one of the senators he HADN'T heard of the allegation until the magazine. Pointing out yet ANOTHER fucking lie.

ugh, i'm so mad.

I found this funnier than Matt Damon. (I didn't hate that SNL opening, but it didn't really make a point... it just re-enacted it with a cardboard Alyssa Milano. Contrast to the McCarthy/Spicer that made a point of the absurdity of his briefings.)

SEN. FEINSTEIN: Now, as we go through these yearbooks and your calendars, we have a few more questions in regards to some…unusual slang…Judge Kavanaugh, below this photo of you with Mark Judge, it says, “Summer Break Blackouts ‘82”. Can you tell us what that means?

JUDGE KAVANAUGH: You should know, Senator Feinstein, that in the early ‘80s the Bethesda power grid was only operating intermittently. Or you WOULD know, if you weren’t from San Francisco.

REPUBLICAN ONLOOKERS: Oooooh.

SEN. WHITEHOUSE: On this calendar page, here…what’s “chug chug chug”?

KAVANAUGH:: Clearly it’s a train, senator. Metro D.C. is a major rail corridor.

SEN. KLOBUCHAR: That makes sense. Moving on. Can you explain “roofies”?

KAVANAUGH: It’s an innocent church game where you chuck quarters onto the cathedral roof! It’s a way of praising God by giving him money. Did YOU ever play roofies, Senator?

KLOBUCHAR: I’m not…look, can you just answer the question? What did you and your classmates mean by “Renate Alumnius”?

KAVANAUGH: “Renate Alumnius” is a spell in the Harry Potter books, Senator. Harry Potter came out when I was 18, the same year they lowered the drinking age.

KLOBUCHAR: I don’t think that’s—

KAVANAUGH: EXCUSE ME. I KNOW ABOUT BOOKS. I WENT TO YALE.

KLOBUCHAR: What’s a “happy ending”?

KAVANAUGH: The type of movies I like. Don’t you like happy movies, Senator? Or do you prefer elitist art-house movies where everyone cries?

KLOBUCHAR: Elitist? You went to Yale—

KAVANAUGH: I WENT TO YALE!
    I don't know what to make of this. It's hard to trust the alt-gov accounts, but the items listed here seem accurate.

He also has "ridge klux klan" listed after Renate Alumnus. And looky here

Is that news info fake? If he was at a Klan rally, does that mean his fellow "100 kegs or bust" friends might have gone too? Can we even tell any more in this era of disinformation and rumors?

Was that actually published?? Like..in a yearbook?? What kind of fucking school publishes shit like that?? Jesus!

The yearbook pic is real. The interpretations may be incorrect (hahahaha, no, they're not, but it's like 99% not 100%) and who knows about the KKK.

Someone released a letter written Kavanaugh about beach week where he talked about prolific pukers. Gee, who goes on vacation with people who have such weak stomachs? Hoped they packed the mild ketchup to put on their spaghetti. (The Italian in me might be more offended by that than almost everything else.)

Anyway, this is how he signed the letter.

Guess that was another one of those "white lies" or "you can't call it perjury because you don't know if he's really lying" things when you recall leahy specifically asked him if he was the Bart in Judge's book.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Ryan,
    Can the FBI actually get records like employment history and I guess tax information showing how long someone worked? I thought the only real thing they can do is conduct an interview via an FD-302 form. But the county police, I would think, could surely get as much as they wanted and at any time they wanted. Just assign someone to a/the "case."

All these reports about how limited the investigation is still going to make it difficult on those three republicans.
    Last edited by Volta; 10-03-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar

....and thats it. It is. done deal. They got the cover they needed. Assholes. Every one of them.

I turned on MSNBC an hour ago and Mitch was on the senate floor. You know, I'm willing to see both sides and consider everything, every possibility. But when he stood there and said one of the biggest problems was protesters standing outside of offices or following senators around the capitol or outside of Washington.
    That's something you absolutely will not do, Mitch! You will not blame the survivors, women and men who ten years ago probably would never talk about this stuff in public because they would not be supported.
    Times have changed. If only just in the last couple years.
    These people deserve to be heard by their representatives.

Buck Up, Republicans. Next week your lives will go back to normal. You can handle this inconvenience for the time being.

FBI report is 46 pages and shows not corroboratory information. Senate could vote as early as Saturday with cloture votes tomorrow around noon.
    Andrea Mitchell: "This extra week may end up helping Kavanaugh and the republicans with their cause."
    Last edited by Volta; 10-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    If he's complaining about protests now, just wait. He hasn't seen anything yet. I truly hope the rage finally boils over. It has to.

Well, I'm sure the democrats aren't going down without a fight. If they have to throw their bodies down on the senate floor to stop proceedings I wouldn't put it past them.
    Get ready for some screaming and some shouting.

And please, boardmates, if you can.. call Sen. Collins and Sen. Murkowski. Just because they may not be your state's senator doesn't mean their phones won't ring from your line/cell. If a staff member won't take your message, which is rare, because you won't list your zip code. Bangor, Maine (04401) - Anchorage, Alaska (99501). Get creative with it.
    Last edited by Volta; 10-04-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post

And please, boardmates, if you can.. call Sen. Collins and Sen. Murkowski. Just because they may not be your state's senator doesn't mean their phones won't ring from your line/cell. If a staff member won't take your message, which is rare, because you won't list your zip code. Bangor, Maine (04401) - Anchorage, Alaska (99501). Get creative with it.
    Most professionals I read/listen to say DO NOT DO THIS unless you live in Maine or Alaska. You're not their constituent. They don't care. And even if they do care, you're taking up the phone line from an actual resident. Committing fraud, however admirable the reason, is going to backfire. Bigly. If it turns out that they're using caller ID to track calls and all of these people are not calling from their states, why are they going to listen to ANY of the messages because the pool has been tainted?

If law professors and church officials don't matter, then one former SC Justice isn't going to matter, but it's important

I don't think we'll get a vote this weekend.

MT Senator:

If Flake, Markowski, Collins ALL commit to voting yes... maybe a DINO like Manchin... But it's going to be so close I don't think Mitch can chance it. If it's tie Pence casts the vote, but you gotta get to a tie for that. And what if someone else develops a brief elevator conscience?

Plus tonight that partisan hack Bart published an editorial in the WSJ. So much for making himself look less like a party adherent. Just appear on Murdoch shows and write in Murdoch papers. Don't face the real scrutiny of ANY OTHER source, other than like Sinclair. Chickenshit. Anyway, the editorial itself is also extraordinarily unusual so it might not help his cause. It inflames us on the left, but I don't know if it chills out the independents, moderates, centrists.

And more and more keeps coming out about what a crock the FBI investigation was. More time is NOT going to help him. It doesn't mean it's enough to stop this fiasco, but it won't help.

Judge Kavanaugh told the Judiciary Committee under oath he never discussed Ms. Ramirez's allegations before the New Yorker article—now we know, from confirmed public reports, he asked friends to vouch for him before it was ever published.

Any lawyer knows coordinating eyewitness accounts could constitute witness tampering. We don't know what Judge Kavanaugh said in the days before the New Yorker story broke, but it sure seems like something the FBI should've investigated, & may explain misleading testimony.