Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Supreme Court Justice, 2016 (Now with 100% more 2018!)

He’s retiring July 31st. Can’t they recall everyone for an emergency session and railroad a nomination through? That seems like something Ryan and McConnell would do.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm super glad he got to fuck us over a couple last times first. Hooray.

Given how he's voted this term, it's not like he's been an ally.

Ugh.

Ryan - Yes, they can. Crap, I forgot about that.

McConnell just announced they’d be confirming the replacement during the fall session. Before the midterms. Also, LOL at his statement:

“It’s imperative that Trump’s nominee be considered fairly and not subjected to personal attacks.” - McConnell

You wouldn’t even give Merrick Garland a fucking hearing. I seriously hope whatever death awaits McConnell is a long, slow, painful one.

I'm sorry, America. RIP, it's been really nice to know you; you used to be swell.

I wonder who will get nominated. Pryor, since he's the most extreme fascist? Joan Larsen, who has recently been promoted to a circuit court? Or Thomas Hardiman, the runner up on the previous Lipsync for SCOTUS challenge?

Fucking fuck Bernie Sanders.

Trump says he’s going to choose another name from the list of 25 that he picked Gorsuch from. Here’s an article from last year, giving a small rundown of each pick.

I’m seeing a lot of people saying, “Kennedy made some bad decisions so it’s not a big loss anyway.” Those people forget that he was often the swing vote in social issues. He gave us marriage equality. He struck down the sodomy laws in Texas. He would have been much more likely to protect things like Roe v Wade than any of the 25 people on the Trump list. Regardless of who’s nominated, there won’t be a swing vote anymore. We’re looking at a conservative majority court. Looking for the judiciary to save us from discrimination is not likely for another few decades. I’d love to look back and think my posts on this were hyperbolic but...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hard.

The Supreme Court was reason enough to vote for Hillary Clinton. Bitching about "lesser of two evils" has its place, but when everything from reproductive rights to voting rights hangs in the balance, you pull up your big-boy or big-girl pants, hold your nose if you must, and do what you fucking have to do.

Oh, well. RIP Roe vs Wade.

Cowardly Dems are already saying they'll give a nom a hearing.

Fuck you. Fuck your civility lectures, your go high. Fuck you you cowardly fucks. And I concur in fuck Bernie too.

There is no set number of SC members, if I have the law correct. At this point the best we can hope for is a Dem elected in 2020 with a dem senate and just nominated like a dozen far lefties.

Dems are in the minority, filibuster is gone. There are literally no tools available to them to stop this nomination and confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bingo. All the privileged white Bernie Bros who had to protect their voting virginity and couldn't possible vote for Hillary can go fuck themselves too. They're not going to get locked up in cages or denied medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Clouds View Post
    Bingo. All the privileged white Bernie Bros who had to protect their voting virginity and couldn't possible vote for Hillary can go fuck themselves too. They're not going to get locked up in cages or denied medications.
    Now now, let's not get bogged down by identity politics.

Seriously though, if you go far enough to the left you end up in the same place as if you go far enough on the right.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Cowardly Dems are already saying they'll give a nom a hearing.

Fuck you. Fuck your civility lectures, your go high. Fuck you you cowardly fucks. And I concur in fuck Bernie too.
    Yep. I admittedly USED to be one of them - the they go Low we go high or fuck all. Fuck that shit now. I feel guilty this is what it took to change my mind. We gotta get just as ugly. And yes, fuck the Dems who are saying they’ll give a mom a hearing. And fuck those who voted third party. And fuck those who didnt vote at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    There is no set number of SC members, if I have the law correct. At this point the best we can hope for is a Dem elected in 2020 with a dem senate and just nominated like a dozen far lefties.
    Ahhhh. It's nice to see someone else thinks of court-packing...which I would normally find abhorrent. But I play fair. I am honest. And I get screwed constantly because I can't be aggressive. It's time to stop.

Seriously though, put SC on the list of things we need to fix when/if we ever get this monster gone and have the power to fix this shit. Why can't it be a larger number? let's go with 15? 21? That way there is room for true centrists, far lefties, far righties. To have a space to put an older, more experienced judge on the bench rather than this lifetime appointment for people in their 40s.