Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Native Invader Tour Dates

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't really care to see her with the band if it only comprises herself, Jon Evans, and Matt Chamberlain. I'd rather see her solo with more varied setlists. I really enjoyed the UG tour.
    I think she struggles with the band these days - they were drowning her out on the 2009 tour. So maybe she's reluctant to tour with them? She sounded so great solo in Australia in 2009 but with the band she was out of breath and lost in the mix.
    ~just an underwater thing~

I think the traditional band setup needs to be retired permanently. Her voice gets tired so fast trying to sing over it. By the time the tour's 8 - 10 shows in you can already hear how exhausted she sounds. I wouldn't mind seeing someone come along to do some (REAL) percussion work, or more strings... basically something similar to the Joanna Newsom tour setups from her 2010 or 2016 shows. A small drum kit, maybe someone on guitar or bass, a few string players, and Tori. She can change it up a bit without needing to choose between totally solo or full-on rock band. Anything to retire those fucking synths and loops.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't really care to see her with the band if it only comprises herself, Jon Evans, and Matt Chamberlain.
    I'd love to see her tour with a string quartet but I know that won't happen. I am over the Jon and Matt on-stage collaboration - having to shout over them does her voice no favors. I'd be happy with Tori solo with only piano to accompany her but the multiple keyboard set-up has become her trademark and I doubt she's going to give that up. Hopefully she will leave that Casio thing back in Cornwall and give it the proper burial it deserves. I liked the keyboard arrangement for the OSW tour- I think she had a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Anything to retire those fucking synths and loops.
    Amen!

And the mashup's too. Sorry. I know some of you like them but to me they feel forced and ... some of the songs I'd much prefer hearing in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post

And the mashup's too. Sorry. I know some of you like them but to me they feel forced and ... some of the songs I'd much prefer hearing in their entirety.
    I agree. That Cruel mashup is horrible, and don't even get me started to talk about what she did to Hyper-ballad
    Last edited by Meowth; 05-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    It's time for a new set up. Something flexible, like a violinist a bassist and a percussionist who can turn their hands to FX guitar etc.

Unless a 2017 album brings a whole new sound and she builds a tour around that. That's be great, as were the Octet/Quartet shows after the orchestral albums.

She should tour with a do. Or at least somebody who plays all kind of electronic stuff in situ. I'm thinking Andy Barlow, from Lamb, something like that. That would solve a) the synth sounds, b) the awful rhythm patterns she's been using, and c) the lack of new arrangement to some songs (I could deal with SATY with some electronic details, for instance)
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I agree with most people here in that I would like additional musicians on the tour, not a solo tour, but in a different format than she used on previous band tours. I don't think she needs a guitar player, but either a drummer or an electronic musicians to add rhythms and beats so she doesn't have to use the loops.

You all are way to picky... Ha ha.
    I'll be just glad to get to see her again and it doesn't matter who she brings with her.

Apparently, Matty just mentioned something on Twitter about having to brush up on "Spark".
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Apparently, Matty just mentioned something on Twitter about having to brush up on "Spark".
    eh. i was hoping for a new tour set-up that didn't include him or Jon. i am aware they haven't toured with her in quite a while but i haven't missed them these past few years.

Yeah I could do without ever seeing a trio or trio + guitar tour ever again. I didn't like how the 2014 tour devolved into a bunch of arbitrary fan request sets, but the performances were so consistently lively that I'd take that along with all of the nutters fans than I'd ever take another boring, watered down set of stale arrangements for band. I feel like 2003 was the last time the band performances were consistently good in not only performance but also arrangement.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

I just looked at his twitter and I didn't see anything to that effect.

Looks like he made some Tori related posts on his Facebook and he mentioned Spark and the recording of it etc., but said he was procrastinating and had to get back to practicing. he did not say for what, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RG View Post
    I feel like 2003 was the last time the band performances were consistently good in not only performance but also arrangement.
    Agreed! Also my favorite band tour was "Plugged." They were ALL on point for that one.

I liked the Five and a Half Weeks set-up and repertoire the best, but Plugged is good too. Glad Kari checked on that, though. A band tour seems out of place with her current focus on a renewal of the solo performer image.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.