Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maria Bamford/Lady Dynamite

Maria Bamford/Lady Dynamite

So excited for this! She's my favorite comedian and she finally has her own show

Yay! I love her too. And it's about time.

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Yesss! She's my favourite comedian and person in life. I've actually been holding out on watching this, though, out of general nerves and not being enormously impressed by the trailer and stuff, which are terrible reasons but she MEANS 2 MUCH to me for this show to be bad. What are youse guyses thoughts?

EDIT: OH it's not even out yet. My bad!

I was underwhelmed by the trailer, but all of the reviews have been extremely positive. It debuts on Friday, May 20th, so I guess we'll find out soon enough

I was actually unsuccessfully attempting to chat up a cute pug-owning boy with Maria Bamford quotes this morning so this thread is even more relevant to my life than usual.

She's eight years old if she's a day, and she stinks!

omg that preview with Ana Gasteyer just made me DIIIIIIE. "Cradle the balls and work the shaft!!" *wheezing*
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

The Village Voice has the first less than glowing review I've seen:

Let's break the bad news this way. Maria Bamford's new Netflix series isn't a disaster. It's sometimes funny — it's got comic genius Maria Bamford in almost every scene! — but only its finest moments bear the stamp of her sensibility. Too often, this fitful, clamorous show feels Bamford-flavored rather than Bamford-driven. Producer Mitch Hurwitz has a house style, and Lady Dynamite plays something like that Netflix season of Arrested Development: Here's a character you might love, but adrift in unrewarding circumstances.
    http://www.villagevoice.com/film/mar...amford-8626413

I wonder if they're just choosing the LOUDEST clips from the show for previews/trailers to grab attention or something. I've been rewatching the trailer and it does seem like a patchwork of Maria jokes and more generic sitcom-ey material, so I'm sure if there's enough of the former it'll be more than watchable. Having brash ex-SNL cast members as co-stars could work really well if they're just channels for the same hyper-confident two-dimensional caricatures as in her stand-up, but I don't know if they could stand particularly being fleshed out into Actual Characters. If it ends up turning into an ensemble-cast Parks-&-Rec love-in these people are in danger of clashing with or drowning out her weird quiet charisma.
    Last edited by Andrew; 05-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I watched the whole thing. I didn't love it, but I thought parts of it were brilliant. I'm not super big into absurdist comedy and there was a LOT of it. Sometimes it worked for me, sometimes it didn't. I think it was the perfect show for some people, just not me. Definitely watchable and above average, but not life-changing. But I'm glad I watched it and I think it was worth the time.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I hope for all involved it is a big success (I so love Maria Bamford, Ana Gasteyer, et al), but I don't love the show either. It's so frenetic, bouncing constantly from bit to bit, backwards and forwards in time, all over the place, and it's very.... loud? It all leaves me a little cold, I'm afraid. That said, I do think there's a lot to recommend it and its worthwhile, just not exactly my cup of tea.

Edit: I did love the Maria/Sarah Silverman/Tig Nataro scene and the joke about female comedians all being billionaires.

Edit 2: I do not like the opening sequence.
    Last edited by grapefruit_is_winning; 05-25-2016 at 04:57 AM.

Just finished up with this. Maria's stand-up is so brilliant that I'm not sure a sitcom format can quite capture it, but with that said, this show is strange and wonderful.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through this. I don't know how Maria Bamford was not on my radar before. I ADORE this show. The show started out a little bumpy, but by the third episode I was hooked. I think she is just brilliant. I cannot recommend it enough. She's doing something really interesting and unique with this show. It is such a breath of fresh air.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    I really enjoyed it! All of it! I made a few friends (who like campy over the top humor like Strangers With Candy, etc.) give it a try and they were not having it! I was really surprised, but I can see how it can be an acquired taste.

I hope it gets renewed for a second season!