Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Gods

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorMatty View Post
    Got chills at, "Who said I died, Puppy?" This makes me want to reread the book before the show starts.
    I will definitely be re-reading before the show starts. I first read it in 2010, then did half a re-read in 2013, so I reckon I'm due

Am I the only one interested on this?

I want to be excited, but I'm afraid it's going to be another style-over-substance project from Fuller (as Hannibal s3 was)

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I've read American Gods about a dozen times and I never particular envisioned Shadow being so.... fuckable? These trailers are giving me the vapors. Kudos to the casting team!
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Oh, Shadow has always been a sexy beast in my head. I'm pleased with their choice.

I also love Kristin Chenoweth as Easter. I always pictured a young Kim Basinger, but KChen totally fits.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

I read that Debbie Harry and Shirley Manson recorded a disco-themed song that will be used in the show:

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/debb...american-gods/

God I'm so ready. Viewing party scheduled for Sunday night. The only thing that helps me cope with the loss of Hannibal is this creative team. (And Ricky is he was very easy to look at on The 100).

Me too. I struggle with Gaiman, but American Gods was one of those novels that enthralled me start to finish.

Vastly prefer a grifter/drifter version of everyone's favourite trickster than to the leather and pout version the MCU films.

Ugh one hour is not enough; why can't this be on Netflix so I can binge?!?! Loved every second of the premiere. Ian McShane casting

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    That was... interesting. I only read it once a few years ago (and I had a lot of tacos that week and I read while I ate so it's associated with them in my head for some bizarre reason that Neil would probably find hilarious) and I ... I did not understand it very much. Like it was way over my head because religion is not my strong suit. I struggle with some of Tori's imagery for the same reason. SEEING it made it easier to understand, plus it's dumbed down for tv, with Sweeney straight out saying who he is. I would have figured out Wednesday as a first time viewer in a way I didn't get as a first time reader right away.

I've forgotten a lot of the book because it's been a few years and there was a lot going on, but it seems to be pretty faithful to its spirit. Great casting. I had pictured Shadow like a darker version of Lincoln from Prison Break and whats-his-name is exactly that, but a better actor. Or maybe it's just a better role? Anyway, he nails it well.

The beginning on the beach was quite disturbing, but it definitely had that Fuller sense of dark humor, what with the literal body parts flying around.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    I think the casting is brilliant. Mad Sweeney (who I keep wanting to call Mad Eye Sweeney ) is so great, and that fight. THAT FIGHT. I also love being able to see the coin tricks, because I could never visualise them while I was reading. just seeing Shadow do that basic one through his fingers while he was in prison was great.

I'm surprised they seem to be fleshing out Audrey's character, and apparently Bilquis too. I thought they pushed the Bilquis scene as far as they could for tv and I liked it very much. It might seem a weird thing to notice, but I liked how when Bilquis was on top of her date her movements were very rhythmic and almost like she was creating a swirl (?? my words are failing me) like you do with your finger over a plughole when you're little. It was a subtle indication that this isn't fucking in the usual sense, she's building this force in her which is going to literally suck a man inside her.

All in all, I thought it was a solid opener, setting up some key plot points for later. Can't wait for the next one!

ETA: I'm disappointed that this show doesn't appear to be making it to tv here, so I have to watch a low quality stream. I bet it's beautiful in HD.

Watched the first episode. Ian McShane is everything. The visuals are on point. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is Ricky Whittle as Shadow. He's very pretty and he exudes a lot of visual charisma but I don't find him to be a very strong actor. He has decent chemistry with McShane, though, which I guess is the most important thing for the overall success of the project.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased