Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things

Stranger Things

Stranger Things deserves its own thread.

What a show. I have one episode left, which I'm saving for tonight because I don't want it to end. Already, this is one of my favorite shows in recent memory. Depending on the ending, it could be one of my favorite shows period. It's just wonderfully done in every way!

1. The 80s aesthetic
    2. The score
    3. WINONA FUCKING RYDER
    4. The suspense mixed with comedy mixed with adventure

I haven't read a ton about the reception minus seeing a lot of people lose their shit over how good it is, which means I have no idea if they're planning a season 2. But I really hope they do!

Watched Episode 1 last night and I LOVED it. It felt like watching an undiscovered classic from the '80s.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I am so excited to watch this. I am torn. My boyfriend and I are currently working our way through Game of Thrones when he gets home from work. (I'm off work for summer break) Do I wait for us to catch up on GoT, or do I start now while he's at work? *so tempted...*

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Is it a show that is extremely scary.. like.. you'll need to leave the lights on to sleep afterwards?
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Is it a show that is extremely scary.. like.. you'll need to leave the lights on to sleep afterwards?
    I'd say it's definitely one of the scarier shows they've done in recent memory... but it depends on how scared you get by suspenseful things. I was definitely anxious and creeped out by a few scenes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Love the show but I was never scared. But I agree with Jake depends how you react to creepy suspense. I almost never get scared by it.

Stranger Things has more of a noir feel to it for me. If Twin Peaks scared you or not would be a good barometer I think.

Oh and yeah, the score is great!!

Last edited by NUHN; 07-20-2016 at 04:05 AM.

I just finished episode 4. I should really go to bed.

This shit is CRAZY. And I agree, it's like a never-before seen '80s horror sci-fi classic. It is equal parts Altered States, Poltergeist, and E.T.

Just adding to how awesome this show is. I do want to add I'm very happy for Winona Ryder I thought she was incredible in Stranger Things. I haven't seen her in much of anything these days, except for black Swan.

Do you guys think there will be a season 2? If there is it is possible it could be an anthology series. I think they ended it perfectly.

This interview (which contains spoilers, so read after you've finished) suggests there will be more seasons!

Awesome interview, too. Great to read the approach to certain elements of the show that I loved.

I was reading a couple of mixed reviews (from other people, not critics) saying that it was from ok (slow) to great so that is why I was only going to watch one episode and see. However, I ended up watching almost everything. I fucking loved it. the acting and the soundtrack. The kids are great, and Winona! - also the sheriff is really a bad ass. It could be nostalgia , since I grew up watching that mix of adventure/thriller/comedy from the 80s/90s, except "Stranger Things" is mix from the best of those genres and made it so, so much better (and without the cringeworthy cliches!). The plot, the acting and the soundtrack is so, so very well done.
    Last edited by Chalk; 07-20-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: grammar

Plowed through six episodes in a night! The use of 80s nostalgia is absolutely impeccable. They get it right in so many ways.

Just watched the first 3, and holy shit. Perfection.

Easily an immediate favorite. I will basically say what everyone else has been saying. WINONA. I am just so so happy I got to watch her for eight hours straight. And then the soundtrack and that SCORE! I came to care for the characters so very quickly.

Perfect show.

I really loved her acting, so sincere and heartbreaking, and that scene...
    (spoiler from episode 7/8)

Need to bitch about one thing