Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things

Well, Johnny Depp got that right: Winona Forever.
    I hope she gets the revival and recognition she deserves, she was simply amazing.
    Every FB post I read of people saying they're starting the show has me all giddy thinking OMGyou'regoingtoloveitcauseit'ssooooogoooooood!!!
    post28!

I do think Winona was a little histrionic in the first episode but her performance got more assured and controlled very quickly. The whole set piece with the lights, ending in "RUN!", was fantastic, and that was due in no small part to her.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I watched the whole season in two days, and found it really really good. I recommended it to my siblings, but they didn't like it; I think it's because they're younger and didn't get the 80s vibe of the show.
    The only thing that bothered me a little (it's not a spoiler, don't worry) it's the snow/ashes/whatever in the Upside Down. I don't know, I felt like it was already on Silent Hill, and that kinda distracted me. It's something really stupid, tbh. I hope it gets a second season with a brand new story (and in the 90s!).
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

The Duffer Bros have stated that they will approach season two as less of a "season two" in a traditional television sense and more as a "sequel" with its own self-contained story, which will return to the setting/characters/mythology but also introduce new elements.

Which is fucking amazing and, frankly, what EVERY show should do. So much shitty storytelling happens in TV because writers spend the first half of a season wrapping up dumb shit from a previous cliffhanger/dangling threads instead of MOVING ON.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Bloodsucking Illuminati Freaks! Octopussy's Avatar
    This show makes American Horror Story look like an Asylum production.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The Duffer Bros have stated that they will approach season two as less of a "season two" in a traditional television sense and more as a "sequel" with its own self-contained story, which will return to the setting/characters/mythology but also introduce new elements.

Which is fucking amazing and, frankly, what EVERY show should do. So much shitty storytelling happens in TV because writers spend the first half of a season wrapping up dumb shit from a previous cliffhanger/dangling threads instead of MOVING ON.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    This show was everything.

I loved all the nods to classic 80s stuff, and the cast was really wonderful.

And we're not the only ones who thought Barb was under-used as a character: http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/barb-...character.html (spoilers if you've not finished the series)

This paragraph in particular is perfection

Let’s face it: We all wanted to be Nancy, the pretty one with the good grades, stable family, and easy fashion sense, who had boys falling at her feet when she didn’t even try. But know what? Nancy is a myth. Nancy does not exist in the real world, and if you think she does, you have spent too much time reading Teen Vogue and watching Gossip Girl on Netflix. Nancy is an archetype created through an evil conspiracy launched by Wes Craven, John Hughes, and Molly Ringwald sometime during the Reagan administration. It’s a conspiracy more dangerous than nuclear proliferation, because everyone is still trying to be Nancy and hating who they really are: Barb.

I fucking loved Barb, what a waste

Now that we know the next season is supposed to be more of a "sequel", and based on the discussions around parallel universes the boys had with their teacher...

I'm willing to bet we get taken to a universe where Barb is rocking her glasses and unbeatable fashion sense.

We finished this the other night. I loved everything about it and my husband did too! And boy, that girl who plays Eleven is a phenom. Such gravitas and intensity for someone so young.

I was really impressed by all of the kids. Child actors are usually so hit-or-miss, and they were on point 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I was really impressed by all of the kids. Child actors are usually so hit-or-miss, and they were on point 100% of the time.
    they were my favourite part of the show, they were all really good. 11/Elle stands out though, despite my soft spot for the fatty with the lisp.

amazing amazing amazing. I was riveted from the very beginning! I had some powerful emotional moments watching it, not necessarily because of the plot, it was more like the nostalgia really hit me. I would have been around the same age the kids are in the movie-- in '83 I would have been 10-11.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Show season 1 spoiler inside:

Season 2 spoiler