Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: STFU, Parents

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    The righteousness of parents strikes again! This morning I was reading an article outlining some reasons why it is a good thing to have a cleaner come and clean your home. Going through the comments I found this:

What I love is that it seems to be all our single friends who have cleaners because they are “so-o-o-o-o stressed and time poor” rather than families with two kids.

Because they don’t make any mess or consume any of your time, oh no.
    But before I could roll my eyes sufficiently I saw a response:

Ahh…. didn’t take long for a breeder to pipe up about how hard their life is.
    And then I felt better

I love how some people make it a contest to see how hard their life is compared to others. What's the reward?

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    i came across this unfucking believable mom blog whilst blog-browsing today. it's a bit old and at first i thought it was satire, but no. its not. people cant be this cunty.....can they?

After the Birth, what a family needs
    Posted on October 28, 2008 by gloria
    “Let me know if I can help you in any way when the baby is born.” … “Just let me know if you need a hand.” … “Anything I can do, just give me a call.”

Most pregnant women get these statements from friends and family but shy away from making requests when they are up to their ears in dirty laundry, unmade beds, dust bunnies and countertops crowded with dirty dishes. The myth of “I’m fine, I’m doing great, new motherhood is wonderful, I can cope and my husband is the Rock of Gibraltar” is pervasive in postpartum land. If you’re too shy to ask for help and make straight requests of people, I suggest sending the following list out to your friends and family. These are the things I have found to be missing in every house with a new baby. It’s actually easy and fun for outsiders to remedy these problems for the new parents but there seems to be a lot of confusion about what’s wanted and needed…

1. Buy us toilet paper, milk and beautiful whole grain bread.

2. Buy us a new garbage can with a swing top lid and 6 pairs of black cotton underpants (women’s size____).

3. Make us a big supper salad with feta cheese, black Kalamata olives, toasted almonds, organic green crispy things and a nice homemade dressing on the side. Drop it off and leave right away. Or, buy us frozen lasagna, garlic bread, a bag of salad, a big jug of juice, and maybe some cookies to have for dessert. Drop it off and leave right away.

4. Come over about 2 in the afternoon, hold the baby while I have a hot shower, put me to bed with the baby and then fold all the piles of laundry that have been dumped on the couch, beds or in the room corners. If there’s no laundry to fold yet, do some.

5. Come over at l0 a.m., make me eggs, toast and a 1/2 grapefruit. Clean my fridge and throw out everything you are in doubt about. Don’t ask me about anything; just use your best judgment.

6. Put a sign on my door saying “Dear Friends and Family, Mom and baby need extra rest right now. Please come back in 7 days but phone first. All donations of casserole dinners would be most welcome. Thank you for caring about this family.”

7. Come over in your work clothes and vacuum and dust my house and then leave quietly. It’s tiring for me to chat and have tea with visitors but it will renew my soul to get some rest knowing I will wake up to clean, organized space.

8. Take my older kids for a really fun-filled afternoon to a park, zoo or Science World and feed them healthy food.

9. Come over and give my husband a two hour break so he can go to a coffee shop, pub, hockey rink or some other r & r that will delight him. Fold more laundry.

10. Make me a giant pot of vegetable soup and clean the kitchen completely afterwards. Take a big garbage bag and empty every trash basket in the house and reline with fresh bags.

These are the kindnesses that new families remember and appreciate forever. It’s easy to spend money on gifts but the things that really make a difference are the services for the body and soul described above. Most of your friends and family members don’t know what they can do that won’t be an intrusion. They also can’t devote 40 hours to supporting you but they would be thrilled to devote 4 hours. If you let 10 people help you out for 4 hours, you will have the 40 hours of rested, adult support you really need with a newborn in the house. There’s magic in the little prayer “I need help.”

First posted online August 2001
    wow

the comments that validated this self-absorbed tripe are really what blew my mind (as they do)

Quote Originally Posted by betty
    I’d like to see this list tacked up on every hydro pole, doctor’s office & fence in the universe. It is true, women esp. are too shy to ask for help or even accept it when it is offered.......Why aren’t women with such character & caring running this world, instead of the ones with dyed hair, botox & “important” paying jobs outside the home…
    yeah jobs are pure bullshit.

That is really infuriating.

11. Come over and give my husband a two-hour blow job. Fold more laundry. Leave right away.

... instead of the ones with dyed hair, botox, & "important" paying jobs...
    Oh yes, because having some little crotch spawn poop machine makes you better than the rest of us. Fucking cunt.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    11. Come over and give my husband a two-hour blow job. Fold more laundry. Leave right away.
    also, i will spend my money on organic free range eggs to make you a lovely frittata...obvs.

its just so fucking entitled it hurts. and the fact that the comment makers somehow fail to realize its massive rudeness and that its what OBVIOUSLY any good friend would do. you know, rather than hiring a maid that youd obviously shit all over as well. clearly in The Good Ol' Days family members rallied around and brought yummy organic foods and cleaning supplies because my god, YOURE A MOTHER and obviously need that shit.

really i could sum it all up "buy us...make us...tend to us..and leave right away."

A-freaking-men, Denali.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    eta: nevermind. I DONT BELONG HERE
    lol
    Last edited by Frangipani; 03-18-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Oh damn, I dyed my hair only last week. There goes the character. Oh wait, I have a 'paying' job too, instead of a paying husband. Just call me Ms. Inexcusably Shallow from now on, won't you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    eta: nevermind. I DONT BELONG HERE
    lol
    I saw your post before you edited. YOU SHOULD TRY PARENTS PAD
    lol

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I TOTALLY THOUGHT THE SAME THING AND ROLLED MY EYES AT MYSELF

frangi out
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Ugh, that blog is horrible. I mean, if my friend was exhausted with baybee and would appreciate it if I brought round a meal or two for her to reheat or whatever - no worries, but don't give me a fucking menu to work from!

x1000

Quote Originally Posted by fullofwish View Post
    Ugh, that blog is horrible. I mean, if my friend was exhausted with baybee and would appreciate it if I brought round a meal or two for her to reheat or whatever - no worries, but don't give me a fucking menu to work from!

x1000
    Ugh,The Cult of Mommy is truly horrendous.

4. Come over about 2 in the afternoon, hold the baby while I have a hot shower, put me to bed with the baby and then fold all the piles of laundry that have been dumped on the couch, beds or in the room corners. If there’s no laundry to fold yet, do some.

7. Come over in your work clothes and vacuum and dust my house and then leave quietly. It’s tiring for me to chat and have tea with visitors but it will renew my soul to get some rest knowing I will wake up to clean, organized space.
    Hahahahaha RIGHT.

I don't have a problem with kids, or wanting to have kids, but what don't people understand about accepting the responsibility of that decision? You wanted a kid, now you figure out how to balance that with everything else in your life. It'd take a lot of nerve or balls of steel to actually hand that list out with a straight face and not expect your friends to laugh at you or resent you for it.

I don't even think the list would be so bad if they were suggestions, but instead they read like orders. The parts about "do this quietly" or "do that and then LEAVE ME ALONE BECAUSE I'M TOO TIRED TO SPEAK TO YOU" reek of entitlement and self-importance.