Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alt-Right Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Extra strong roach repellant. What do you think are the odds that the old man on the right is a WW2 vet?
    Pretty strong! And I'm pretty sure that most those white fucks are not Vets.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    NSFW language because... well, it's Michael Rapaport.

^I'm from the Virginia Beach/Newport News area. He ain't lying!

The name of the person murdered and her family has set up a gofundme here. I keep wondering what yesterday means. I know the day before I posted

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    They're thinking that this is supposed to be a bellwether event.
    And was it? The fact is that we all know that white supremacists commit hate crimes all the time, and they always have and with great frequency. The only deal with yesterday is that there were a thousand of white supremacists in one place. There's an article by The Atlantic's Van Newkirk that suggests vigilance is always in order., which is fine, but by whom? Richard Spencer seems to believe that police will simply refuse to stop the nazis and just join them, which sounds delusional, and yet so many people, including the media and heads of police departments are still boggled by the police response yesterday. We've seen cases of the nazis and the police working with each other and we know they've infiltrated the police department and still the Richard Spencer's fantasy still sounds like fantasy.

What's next?

Last edited by uncanny hats; 08-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.

This tweet is kicking up a lot of dust.

I dunno. Seems within the bounds of acceptable hyperbole to me.

Here's the thing about Heather Heyer. She was a paralegal whose specialty was dealing with families facing bankruptcy. Apparently, she was very good at helping these people and giving them comfort. And, of course, she was politically active on behalf of people less fortunate than herself. In other words, she had a highly developed sense of empathy. Which, of course, is one thing the White Butthurt League entirely lacks.

Someone said that Heather Heyer died for her country. The question I have is whether or not we're worthy of her sacrifice. I guess we'll see.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I went to a low key vigil today with folks who were there yesterday, to listen, chat, and give hugs.There's was no media coverage of the vigil which was good as the activists were so drained mentally and spiritually... and the police literally gave everyone space to vent. And I want to thank you for allowing me to vent here in way that is borderline spammy. The negative is that people were hurt and someone died, but listening and talking to the people today, they weren't certain anyone cared. But they were taking a break from social media and the news. I told them that in some way it seemed almost everyone cared, except the usual suspects. I think for the far-left this has been kind of a 9/11 of sorts, and for medics who were there on the scene THAT was definely the case. The positives are that everyone knows that these fuckers mean business and more importantly the outpour of compassion for the families affected. The other negative seems to be all the nazis on social media coming out of the woodwork. Like people who didn't even know they were nazis. Friends of friends who are all like "It was about time!" And genuinely believed the fake news suggesting that antifa was actually behind the murder as a false flag. Has anyone else seen that? If you have, I'm sorry. It's been disappointing on that front.
    Last edited by uncanny hats; 08-14-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    The other negative seems to be all the nazis on social media coming out of the woodwork. Like people who didn't even know they were nazis. Friends of friends who are all like "It was about time!" And genuinely believed the fake news suggesting that antifa was actually behind the murder as a false flag. Has anyone else seen that? If you have, I'm sorry. It's been disappointing on that front.
    Some of the comments threads on FB that I posted in yesterday had people who tried to suggest it was antifa behind the murder. They shut up pretty quickly when there was a strong showing of derision from other commenters. And most of the folks in my local Indivisible group got out from behind their computers to go to a rally in solidarity of Charlottesville later on that day.

You haven't been spammy at all, nunu. People do care. It was just such a vile, cowardly act that it left people stunned in its wake.

The website that was taken down is The Daily Stormer, their comment on Charlottesville was pretty disgusting. So it looks like a line is being drawn, though it's a wide fuzzy line not a sharp turn. 45 is supposed to be making a public statement as I write this, oh, I guess he's done already. *snort*

"Racism is evil," said Trump, two days after a car drove into a crowd of people in the midst of violent clashes over a white nationalist rally. "And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the [Ku Klux Klan], neo-Nazis, white supremacists and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans."

Trump calls out KKK and neo-Nazis after backlash from Charlottesville remarks

That statement wasn't Trump. It was obviously Kelly, who has probably had a fit when he heard Trump's first response to Charlottesville. Today's statement by Trump looked more like a hostage video.

I didn't see that, although I am completely unsurprised. What I did see was a vicious article about Heather Heyer on the neo-Nazi site Daily Stormer. After hearing about it, I decided that I wanted to see it, because I'm a glutton for punishment. And yeah, it was pretty vile. The cool thing is that GoDaddy will no longer be hosting DS. Long overdue, though.

ETA: I didn't see this page before I posted this this response to nunu. Kari, I agree that I hope this is a turning point against the alt-right. And SMMY, I was wondering what that speech reminded me of. Hostage video, yes.

Watching Katy Tur on MSNBC now. Her usual barely concealed contempt for Trump is less well concealed today. And that's great.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Josh Marshall of Talking Points Memo wrote this earlier today, and I have to agree:

The problem with the continued begging, ‘why won’t he denounce, why won’t he denounce’ is that at some point, maybe later today, President Trump will go before a podium and read off through gritted teeth a pro-forma denunciation of Nazis and it will seem to a lot of people like it means something when it doesn’t. He’s already made crystal clear where he stands here. The question is how we individually and as a country are going to deal with that fact, not how many more mulligans we’re going to give him. His neo-nazi supporters are truly over the moon that he’s steadfastly refusing to criticize them, even in the face of withering criticism and derision. They get the message. They’re ecstatic. Everyone who doesn’t see this, see that it is intentional, is getting played for chumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    You haven't been spammy at all, nunu.
    Thanks, Nancy.

In other news, the FBI has arrested a three percenter after he attempted to detonate a bomb in OKC.

I think I'm in the minority among liberals who feel that Trumpy didn't have to call out the individual groups/movements by name in order to get his point across. Still, this shouldn't be considered validation for alt-right extremists or white-supremacy/nationalist groups. Though, I feel in some way naming them gives them a certain amount of additional exposure that they shouldn't get.