Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: The Alt-Right Thread

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    Shouldn't you be interrogating possible communists on Joseph McCarthy's blacklist, right now? Or are you trying to pull the wool over people's eyes?
    Hey, if you want to get back to being the only one posting in this thread, feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Hey, if you want to get back to being the only one posting in this thread, feel free.
    If it's that useless, feel free to unsub from the thread if you want.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    So... You feel special because you have a couple Masters degrees. So what? I know a lot of people with Master of Science degrees, many of whom are idiots. In fact, probably while were attaining your degrees, you probably knew a bunch idiots who went on to graduate.
    No, I don't feel special. It is just that I can recognise deductive scientific methodology when I see it. And when I don't see it.

But here's another thing bucko: I'm a librarian. I evaluate sources regularly."Internationally-recognized Scientists" (many of them have Ph.Ds!) and others come to me from all over the world asking me questions and have me do research for them. I really good at it. Would you like me to tutor you on what a reputable source looks like? You don't have be embarrassed Most people (including Masters of Science and Research) have trouble with that.
    Not seeing your point here? I always asked librarians for stuff, but they always confined themselves to academic literature. Also, I would never expect them to judge content correctly, as reading scientific literature and judging statistical methods for correlational and experimental research is something that you need to learn in university. That is why you possibly can't recognise flaws in the set-up and format of the thing you quoted, or for example absence of correctly hypothesizing, testing for statistical significance (because there was nothing to test?) and theorizing too. Also, if you are so good at reading scientific journals, you should instantly recognise that the mere format of the thing you quoted from isn't a scientific format / not even fit for submission to a journal.

That's not something you get to decide, is it? All you get to decide is that you don't like it. You are not their boss, you are not the governing body of the EU, you are not the governmental organizations that contract their expertise in terrorism. Your a psychologist on the web who doesn't like a thing and tried to throw his credentials around.
    Its not a decision made by me or anyone. I'm merely the one pointing out to you that it isn't science. I threw around my "credential" to let you know that I'm qualified to judge the content of such thing in a scientific way. No scientist would approve of that piece for publication in a scientifc journal is all I'm saying, because its methodology is not scientific.

At the end of the day, they are a privately held organisation that would kind of validate their own existence if hate groups were indeed "globally organising". Which makes it kind of dubious in the first place. It is beside the point, but why aren't they working with a university at all? That is kind of odd. More importantly, it also shows in their unscientific ways.

The only thing I "don't like" here is people like them and you spitting in the face of science. That is all.

That's not completely true, and being in an academic is not what explicitly makes something a reputable source. Peer-review certainly helps, but it's not the end all be all.
    While that is true, there is currently nothing better out there than scientifc research, mostly made available by scientific journals (and definitely not pseudo-science conducted by privately held organizations).

I didn't say you disliked the outcome, I said you did't like it.
    I don't care about the outcome.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

60,000 neo-nazis marched at Polands Independence celebration. By, ratio that be 500-600,000 in the US.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I am surprised it's not getting more coverage. And this from the WSJ article about it:

The largely young crowd shot off roman candles and many chanted “fatherland,” carrying banners that read “White Europe,” “Europe Will Be White” and “Clean Blood.” Some of the marchers flew in from Hungary, Slovakia and Spain and waved flags and symbols that those countries used during their wartime collaboration with Nazi Germany.
    I hate feeling this way but I truly feel no hope anymore. Everything is so fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I am surprised it's not getting more coverage. And this from the WSJ article about it:

I hate feeling this way but I truly feel no hope anymore. Everything is so fucked.
    I do think it's important to note that It's likely that not everyone came from Poland. But they are mobilized. This is their coming out. That said, I do believe there's hope. Europe's antifa makes American antifa look like a joke. For example, in Greece, they run social programs the government can't fulfill to fight Golden Dawn. 60k Nazis in Poland is a caution. Only 60k Nazis marching in the US is a nightmare. While, I think that last week's election can be a bellwhether, Bannon's pick, Roy Moore, for example, needs to be defeated. The more NO the far-right hears, the more they're immobilized. It won't end everything, but it'll put the brakes on some things and give us more flexibility in the future.
    Last edited by uncanny hats; 11-13-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post

Over here this is getting a lot of coverage. As calculated by Rafal Pankowski, a polish political scientist, this is the event that gathers the most far-right people globally. Though mostly Polish people, it draws a lot of people internationally too from mostly Belarus, Ukraine and Hungary, as well as the Baltic states. What is so very odd is that central europe is actually experiencing the most peaceful times in their recorded history. Also, anti-migrant sentiment is now dominating, but these countries take in relatively few refugee/migrants (except for maybe Hungary); makes me think those sentiments are fueled by media coverage of small incidents in countries with a lot of refugees like Germany, France, Austria, Sweden...

...interesting to note that Trump referenced that "We want our God" song when he visited Warsawa this year, and Richard Spencer was set to give a speech for the march last friday - though the Polish government denied him a visa.
    [...btw, "We want God" is a mistranslation from this song I think; it actually "We want our God".]
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This will never stop being funny to me and I am so glad it's not just us who know it.

6 Famous People (Whose Origin Stories Are Dark Secrets)

That's Yiannopoulos showing off his dorky, possibly Nazi ring, and presumably posing for his MySpace photo. Wonder what that profile would've entailed? Maybe something about how he likes to write poetry (read: plagiarize Tori Amos lyrics) for fun?