Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alt-Right Thread

The Alt-Right Thread

Over the past month, I have been finding myself absolutely terrified of, and yet equally fascinated by the Alt-Right. I think part of this is because I can't quite figure out what the hell it is. With typical conservatism politics, I just didn't agree with their policies. With the Tea Party, I thought of them as just a more extreme fringe version of typical conservatives growing tired by the government and liberalism. But as I'm reading up and hearing about the alt-right, it seems so contradictory to me -- and then there's the whole Internet trolling component. There's a cartoon frog that represents the movement (???) and Trump is aligned with them.

Yesterday I became aware of Milo Yiannapolos. I watched him enter a college lecture hall in a policeman's stripper uniform with a pink penis watergun talking about blowjobs and holding a man with a Trump mask on a leash in front of a conservative audience, and yet that was all of a sudden acceptable in front of an ultra conservative audience? He's supposedly one of the main figures leading this movement, and yet he's flamboyant and gay and sexual and over the top and belting out the "Star Spangled Banner" leading into chants of "USA! USA! USA!" And the movement supports him --- the conservative movement utterly supports him. Did we go through the looking glass?

As Hillary is now beginning to reference the alt-right movement, and the news is beginning to cover it, I thought I would start a thread about it. Can anyone make out what exactly it's all about and how it's at all conservative when it seems so overtly camp?
    Last edited by TheTruthSeeker; 09-25-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It feels to me white men who are lashing out at not being the top in everything. MOST THINGS aren't good enough. They have no idea of their privilege so think every attempt to bring someone else UP is tearing them DOWN.

And I haven't found one yet that isn't a horrible misogynist. Racism varies, but almost always is there.

The alt-right is a rebranding of the far-right. And by far-right, I don't mean the Tea Party, I mean white nationalists and monarchists. Alt-right is a friendly way to say "fascist." The alt-right was largely founded by Jared Taylor and Richard Spencer. Spencer having created the blog from where the phrase "alt-right" comes from.

They picked up some steam thanks to GamerGate and MRAs, but having been outside protesting a number of National Policy Institute (NPI) and American Renaissance meetings, they're not simply the stereotype of overweight nerds who wear fedoras and are butthurt because no one will date them. GamerGate and MRAs are basically foot soldiers to the ideologies that Richard Spencer and Jared Taylor have put forward. We used to call them suit-and-tie Nazis.

More on Spencer.
    More on Taylor.
    More on NPI.

Other figureheads include:

Kevin B. MacDonald

Paul Ray Ramsey

Matthew Heimbach
    and his Traditional Worker's Party.

*subscribes*

Mother Jones article on how Trump brought hate groups into the mainstream.

Rolling Stones has done a story on Richard Spencer. It depresses me that this is where we are at.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    In Spencer's eyes, the Alt-Right is an "intellectual movement" so powerful that "in the future, we're going to be thinking for conservatives," whom he disparages not only as "cucks" but as "losers and dorks." This superior Alt-Right intelligence will eventually allow the movement to harness the institutions the religious right built, he believes, and entice religious conservatives into white nationalism. It would be easy enough, he says, because "there's not a single intelligent person in that entire world."
    This seems a wee bit over-inflated. But maybe that's what makes it dangerous. I just can't reconcile this with the mouthbreathing stupidity of the majority of nationalistic stuff I see on social media.

Of course it's over-inflated. Some of these people do think of themselves as an enlightened intellectual elite, unburdened by the pieties of the hegemonic western liberal tradition. They love their racist pseudo-science, simplistic social Darwinism, and babbling semi-philosophically at great length in florid prose. At least, that's what I've seen online. The "alt-right" are truly a pompous brand of knuckledragging assholes.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I like that he admits to getting a boner when reading about Napoleon. At least that's honest.

I feel like you can't make this stuff up.

Trump supporters have found themselves taking on Lügenpresse or "lying press." All anyone can think about, though, is how this is like Nazi Germany.

This article is really long, but the author goes deep into the movement. Read it when you have time.