Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alt-Right Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post
    I am the biggest word nerd you'll ever meet. I fetishize words like nobody's business. But I'm worried about the alienating effects of constantly using words a lot of folks in the Midwest probably don't know - especially non-college educated people. I understand trans awareness is an important part of the battle, and I would never say otherwise. I just wonder if in communicating all this stuff on social media I should be conscious of using more accessible language.

As for alt right, I think everyone's rapidly coming to an understanding of what that means. Words and meaning have a two way relationship. Sometimes the meaning starts sticking to a word, or the meaning leaves the word. It's never static.
    That is definitely a good point, that they're starting to understand what alt-right means.

It's just that if we genuinely want to reach out to people outside the bubble, we need to freshen up the conversation without getting too artistic or nerdy about it. We need to speak from the heart. When you're choosing a cultural reference point, go with the "Black Jeopardy" segment from SNL as well as the Hamilton distraction. It's universally funny, and it's almost gentle in its condemnation of the righties.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Then you turn around and see a bloodbath surrounding a lame joke on SNL about Tinder.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    I also don't think this issue belongs to any one party. This is about basic decency and 'traditional' American values. It's an argument that should rile up any true conservative. It isn't American to talk about blatantly violating the Constitution. It isn't American to attack our free press in such a hostile manner. It isn't American to be so pro-Russia. It isn't American to have a president that's been so vile to women. It isn't American to mount a full attack on our freedom of religion. None of this is what our previous presidents have stood for, Republican or Democrat.

^ Amen.

I could absolutely play a disgruntled baby boomer in a mock debate though. Mind you, I'm not one of them, but I hear them. Have you ever talked to a cab driver who took the time to learn a map of the city like the back of her hand without consulting a smartphone, joined a union, paid a hefty fee for a license, and then had to compete with Uber and Lyft drivers so she could make enough money to feed her children? Or musicians who stuck it out in shit day jobs because they were just beginning to have a glimmering of hope that they'd get paid for their work, and then realized they were better off working at Sears? My husband and I accepted this brave new world a long time ago, but a lot of our contemporaries feel totally screwed. They should understand all this by now, but apparently they've still got whiplash.

I do not understand these fuckers at all. I've seen the usual punching down but also punching self, which perplexes me. People who identify as a minority, but not that kind of minority, you understand. They're different. I DON'T UNDERRSTAAAND.

The alt-right infighting has commenced. May they burn out quickly.

That Baked Alaska person is a moron. He used to work for Buzzfeed. Anyone who repeatedly uses the word cuck, and makes a music video like this, should probably just be humanely euthanized for the greater good.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That Baked Alaska person is a moron. He used to work for Buzzfeed. Anyone who repeatedly uses the word cuck, and makes a music video like this, should probably just be humanely euthanized for the greater good.
    I think the phrase DIAF was invented for this one. Wow.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

I can't wait to find out how much he rips off Tori in this one!

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Maybe he will instead find new inspiration in Amanda Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    Maybe he will instead find new inspiration in Amanda Palmer.
    What she done nowwww

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    What she done nowwww
    She made some dumbass comment about how Trump was going to make punk rock great again.

Well, he probably will. I do expect to have an upswing in artistic expression.
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill