Jock Jams

It's called "sampling", look it up

Pre-"mysticore"

Sounding like this is normal

alterna-bae's

~just an underwater thing~

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar

Icon15

Fun thread! I don't think any of mine are super obscure because I heard them all on Philadelphia area radio stations that don't exist anymore like Y100, WYSP, and WDRE. Those were my main source of music aside from MTV/VH1 and those BMG CD Club mailers until I started finding music through the Dent forums and Napster. What a weird musical landscape the radio was at that time.

I thought this song was ~so romantic~ as a middle schooler when really, it's sort of stalkery.

See also: stalking with a side of rape, murder, and maybe vampirism? And it wasn't even the creepiest song on the album. What the hell?

These were all playing while stuff like Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl", the Indigo Girls, Sophie B. Hawkins, and Melissa Etheridge were also getting regular airplay. Listening to the radio was like lesbian wonderland for my baby bi girlheart.

~~~SO DEEP~~~

"You don't use words like that."

Holds up surprisingly well for a post-grunge album.

Slinkster cool.

They were like goth Jeff Buckley or something. I don't know.

This is a terrible song, but my friends and I were obsessed with them for some reason for about five minutes. Then they had a different, equally terrible song in a jewelry commercial.

There was a Spanish magazine that came with a cd in every issue, and there was this song in one of those CDs. I just remembered it a couple of weeks ago and found the whole album is on YouTube. It sounds surprisingly fresh still today.

This one ain't necessarily obscure but it's a GREAT song, one of the best love songs ever written.

When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

God, I miss the 90's! You could get away with anything in the 90's in the name of "alt".

One of my all time favourites from one of my all time favourite albums. Although I think this is actually early 2000's, I associate this with 90's alt.

~just an underwater thing~

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    By "obscure" I mostly meant "obscure to unforumzed".... Tori, PJ and Björk would be obscure to most, but we all know who they are.

Laura --> ahhh, Lilth Fair days! Hearing Mary Lou Lord, Juliana Hatfield, and Helium on the radio & MTV

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    One of my all time favourites from one of my all time favourite albums. Although I think this is actually early 2000's, I associate this with 90's alt.

It came out in fall of 2000, but a couple songs came out well before that in demo form, and I'm pretty sure she'd been working on it for awhile -- the first album came out in 1995 after all!

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    It came out in fall of 2000, but a couple songs came out well before that in demo form, and I'm pretty sure she'd been working on it for awhile -- the first album came out in 1995 after all!
    Pretty sure it leaked early, too. I don't know if the whole thing was out in 99 necessarily, but I definitely was rocking out to it courtesy of Napster in spring/summer 2000.

Best chorus of the 90s. And the 00s. And the 10s.

I still have no idea how to pronounce the wabadaba dabababa dubabadababa part.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Scatter the magic powder in the trash!!

("Scatter & Swing" by Lionrock, 1998)

"Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Pretty sure it leaked early, too. I don't know if the whole thing was out in 99 necessarily, but I definitely was rocking out to it courtesy of Napster in spring/summer 2000.
    I remember being so excited when (OMFG I am going to date myself so bad here) my sister ordered stuff from Delia's and it came with one of those new music samplers.... an early mix of Haunted was on it!! I think this was also mid-2000, but wiki says that Control was released in 1998 from that game with Bruce Willis. So it had been cooking for awhile.

Reading her page, I never knew the details of her disappearance from music. I have never heard of a record company fucking someone over so badly. AND THEN an oil tycoon buys her contract -- it's almost cartoonishly evil.

A thread about obscure 90's music a.k.a. my entire music collection I will need to get a post together soon!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar