Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: '90s music (obscure faves)

Madder Rose--What Holly Sees

Ash--Goldfinger

Mono--Life in Mono
    One of my favorite songs--not sure if it's obscure or not. It's not like it was a hit, but some people here probably know it since it was on the Great Expectations soundtrack.

Paul Westerberg--Love Untold

Fountains of Wayne--Sick Day

Spain--Every Time I Try

Astrid--World at Your Feet

Aftershock--Slave to the Vibe
    Last edited by sleeptheclock; 09-28-2016 at 03:51 AM.

you lot were far too cool in the 90s, when it was all about the Now! compilation albums for me, as well as reading Smash Hits and taking the "what's your favourite colour?" questions to popstars very seriously. My musical renaissance din't really happen until '99, when I was 15 and had my own money to buy CDs then.

not much first-hand memory of this decade but dese my retrospective jams:

Last edited by Andrew; 09-28-2016 at 09:06 AM.

So I just started thinking of Tripping Daisy, and realized that I've never seen this video. The lead singer is freakin' ADORABLE. I wonder what he looks like now...
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
    So I just started thinking of Tripping Daisy, and realized that I've never seen this video. The lead singer is freakin' ADORABLE. I wonder what he looks like now...
    He went on to become the lead singer of The Polyphonic Spree

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    He went on to become the lead singer of The Polyphonic Spree
    Good to know!

Things that immediately flashed in my mind when I saw this thread (considering obscure to be anyone who's never had their own thread since the @forumz days that I can recall). Alternately, you can probably just Google "Lilith Fair" :

I still adore that Bic Runga song. Holly McNarland also has a handful of great tracks. Excited to dig more into this thread.

Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I still adore that Bic Runga song. Holly McNarland also has a handful of great tracks. Excited to dig more into this thread.
    Bic Runga's whole catalogue is spectacular, especially her album Birds, which is stunning and you might really enjoy! Holly McNarland also put out a couple "okay" albums, but her most recent Run Body Run was quite good. I still follow all of those bands except I have no idea what happened to Joydrop (if anything) since I didn't like any other songs on the album. Verve Pipe recently reunited and put out some nice tunes. I know they kind of suck, but they were never Seven Mary Three levels of 90's suck (albeit Freshmen was overplayed). The biggest pity is Kendall Payne who played a little gig at my high school as promo for her album, and I became obsessed with, but gradually moved more and more toward Christian Rock, put out an album of contemporary hymns and is now the semi-retired music director at one of those "church is cool for teens!" churches somewhere

OMG Nick...I completely forgot about that Joydrop song! It got a fair bit of airplay in my hometown back then. Thanks for the fond reminder.

Aren't you the guy who robbed the store 24?
    Maybe the fuck who tried to jimmy my door?
    I will cross the street before I'm sure,
    'cause I
    I think I've seen you before.

Loved this song too...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I still follow all of those bands except I have no idea what happened to Joydrop (if anything) since I didn't like any other songs on the album.
    It seems they released one more album and then disbanded. This is the (quite good, intensely melancholy) song I remember from them, from 2001 (I'd never seen the video, which features Tommy Lee?!):

I've recognized a few gems in this thread already; looking forward to exploring more later.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have no idea what happened to Joydrop (if anything) since I didn't like any other songs on the album.
    "Breakdown" is amazing, way better than "Beautiful" IMO... I think they put out a 2nd album but I never got that one. As far as I know, they broke up, then the lead singer competed on the INXS Rockstar TV show like 10 years ago, but didn't win obviously. Who knows where she is or what she's doing now haha.