Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '90s music (obscure faves)

I remember buying Jennifer Trynin's Cockamamie and Heather Nova's Oyster albums based on the photo on the cover, and still love them both.

A few on my favorites:

Patti Rothberg - "Inside"

Artificial Joy Club - "Spaceman" (but their hit in the US was "Sick and Beautiful")

Cathy Denis - "Touch Me (All Night Long)"

Zhane - "Hey, Mr. DJ"

SOHO - "Hippychick"

Oh wow, I had that Dot Allison album and had completely forgotten about it.
    I listened to shitty modern rock radio in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the 90's, so I didn't know a lot of obscure music. I do remember loving Heather Nova's Walk This World. Then, I started to listen to "alternative christian" music, some of which still holds up, like Starflyer 59 and Morella's Forest, though most of it was pure dreck ("If you love alanis Morisette, try Rebecca St. James!").
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post

Laura --> ahhh, Lilth Fair days! Hearing Mary Lou Lord, Juliana Hatfield, and Helium on the radio & MTV
    Yesssssss! I didn't find Helium or Mary Timony until a few years later for some reason, but Mary Lou Lord and Juliana Hatfield were everywhere for a while. I remember buying Mary Lou Lord's Got No Shadow and my mom taking one look at it and saying, "You know that's a wig, right?" about her picture on the cover. It was a total "Mommmmm, stoppppp!" teenager moment.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhitePumps View Post
    A few on my favorites:

Patti Rothberg - "Inside"
    HOLY SHIT. I completely forgot about this song, but as soon as it started to play I suddenly remembered almost all of the lyrics. Memory is so weird.

Not sure where to put this but Juliana Hatfield's cover of Physical is just what I needed.

Yesterday my daughter's headphones ran out of battery, so I played her tunes over the car speakers! She had Feelin Massachusetts from Become What You Are.

Yeah, I've done something right!

Not sure if she’s been mentioned but Esthero’s Breath From Another is the first one that comes to mind for me. One of my all time favorites and most nostalgia-inducing.

What a great thread! The first that springs to mind is Mice (one of Julieanne Regan of All About Eve's other bands). There were a couple of singles and one album …because I can, that was an absolute gem, released in the mid-90s. A couple of songs sometimes turned up at All About Eve's reunion gigs. There were a few of those but not for a long time sadly.

Mice - …Because I Can - 8 - Miss World

Mice - …Because I Can - 6 - Blue Sonic Boy
    Last edited by beanstew; 03-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Not sure how obscure they are but I love these two songs.

Clarification: Juliana Hatfield is releasing an album of ONJ covers!

K's Choice (In the USA, they never got very popular)

Yay K's Choice love; they're still one of my favorites. I do think Gert is underutilized on their albums (but that might be because I had a little crush on him). Two more tunes I was obsessed with:

Icon15

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post

Ash--Goldfinger
    Good grief, even now this song makes my heart soar. I remember watching the Jools Holland performance and thinking, "These guys are only a few years older than me, I could be in a band!"

A couple more that still get regular outings on my stereo/Spotify:

I loved this, and bought The It Girl with my pocket money, but it wasn't until I came back to it late in my twenties that I really listened to the words and got it. It really weighs a ton.

Dog Man Star is such a massive record for me, a swirl of sex, drugs, violence and preening arrogance. Anderson's absurd voice, Butler's wild, baroque guitar work, drums towering like One Canada Square. Teenage me was entranced. Adult me is still mightily impressed.

I like this thread! I'll be back, certainly.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I really loved Alisha's Attic - they were my "girl group" in the 90s. Great vocal harmonies and arrangements, great pop songs, and some sublime unexpected key changes that were such aural delights

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post

Mono--Life in Mono
    One of my favorite songs--not sure if it's obscure or not. It's not like it was a hit, but some people here probably know it since it was on the Great Expectations soundtrack.
    love them - Formica Blues is a great album

My sister and I often play "I bet you forgot about this song" via text. She got me today with this one...