Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Westworld

OH MY GOD. I didn't want it to end. I love how everything came together tonight.

Apparently there's another world, other than Westworld?

It looked like a Chinese dynasty type thing.
    My face screams without an emotion

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    So if this is the future, I guess no one watches Jurassic Park. Fail safes aren't 100% effective, chaos theory, yadda yadda yadda.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    That was a helluva ending. I kind of guessed Fords role in all of it, but it still was an awesome episode. I think the last time I found the wait for another season this torturous was Battlestar Galactica.

I just finished watching it. God I love this show. Best thing on this fall.

The note about the kid that Felix gave to Maeve said something like "World 1, section 14..." so I think we can assume there's more than one park and that the one the show takes place in is the first, original one.

I just read that season 2 will not be out before 2018. Ughhhhh.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    The finale totally blew my mind. And I totally expected that it would.

Everyone is a host or soon will be.

I thought it was a little weird the timing of Dolores coming into her own consciousness and taking out Ford. Yes, it was TIME that finally got her there and I am sure Ford wanted, wanted it more than anything. But I probably shouldn't read into the timing of it (right when he finishes his speech) too much as this is a television show and some things are not scripted although they are scripted for the sake of drama.. if you catch my meaning. lol

With all the revelations it's almost unending where this show could go in future seasons. And I'm so down for the ride. At least in season 2 it won't be so much one man playing chess with himself. Although the guy who is supposed to make the new narrative.. if he can't get on that train or another one.. if I were him, I'd be running it down or following those tracks as far away from that place as possible. lol

Finally, the look in Dolores' eyes as she gunned the guests down. OMG. stellar.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-06-2016 at 02:40 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Wow, just watched the final episode - and I`d like to start from ep 1 again

Just in case someone missed it (i just coincidentally saw it): after the final credits are over there is another scene of the snake woman fighting.

Finally watched the finale. I mostly really enjoyed the whole season. At first, I thought that the time-hopping was making the story unnecessarily complicated, especially because it was so disorienting and unclear, but when they talk about how the hosts' memories are essentially immersive/photographic, making it hard to distinguish between past and present, I understood why they were using it as a device. I think it could maybe have been approached in a way that was less convoluted, but *shrugs*.

My only quibble about the show is that I feel like a lot of it, especially near the end, was relying on contrivance and convenience to move the plot forward. I frequently found myself asking, "Why isn't anyone noticing X character doing this, and doing something about it?" The surveillance and security are supposed to be airtight, but for the most part, everyone in the last half of the season is swanning about the park and the facility with no problem, doing all sorts of scurrilous things. And, like, William's whole descent into madness, and his treatment of Logan...are there no security measures in place to prevent live guests from harming each other? That seems like a pretty big consideration that they just didn't even bother to address. Part of the thing that made Michael Crichton's stories work so well was an obsessive attention to detail and a devotion to creating a sense of verisimilitude. I feel like the show started out well in this regard and gradually kind of let it slide, in favor of juggling multiple storylines across multiple timelines.

I'm also not really sure what the long term plan for this show might be, or whether it even has any longevity. I mean..

"See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

^I didn't know we had to use spoilers when an episode has been over for a week or more. Or is that just for dragrace?
    Anyhow, I suppose if they want to go in the direction of Ford replacing all the Board members with androids they could because that's exactly what he did with Arnold/Bernard. Also, with their ability to heal real people with those devices isn't it plausible they could just keep attacking "guests" up until they almost die.. heal them and start all over again?

The beauty of Ford's push to a no narrative narrative makes it almost impossible to corner one aspect of the show as being too far out there, you know? We can play "What if?" til the cows come home. Like.. what if the security team were hosts? That would explain a lot away right there.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-12-2016 at 12:33 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar

This might just be me, but I don't find the whole "who is/isn't a host?" thing very interesting. I knew it was unavoidable that we'd get a moment where we find out that someone we thought was human is actually a host, because that's how these things go, but that's going to get old really quick if they continue to rely on it as an opportunity for surprise/revelation.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

I won't believe that the MiB is a host like some do at the IMDB boards. That's just going overboard for no good reason. I mean, yea, you could argue he is. There are a few scenes with Delores where it almost feels like he is.. But I just don't think the writers want us to and that's why.
    We need the MiB to be real to give us perspective and make the stakes higher.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Evan Rachel Wood won a Critics Choice Award last night for WW. I think this is the highest accolade of her career!
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Finally, a return date. April 22!