Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Westworld

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This season has two of my least favorite things: wonky timelines and subtitles.

Now, S1 had non linear timelines and it worked because we SUSPECTED, but didn't know. And it worked as a whole. This season I have to be like "ok, now this happened first? Is this NOW now or then now?" I'm sure some superfan has a handy chart available, but if I need a chart to have basic understanding instead of using a chart for deep diving, it's not a show that works.

Subtitles aren't a bad thing in and of themselves, but subtitles in a show WHERE EVERYONE IS A ROBOT AND COULD SPEAK ENGLISH AT ANY FUCKING TIME and in a show that normally doesn't HAVE them is annoying. Heroes did it too and it made me nope the fuck out. I don't mind being challenged, but if I have to follow that closely to have the most basic grasp of what is going on, it's not the show for me. If you're a caption show, good for you. But if you're a non caption show that suddenly is hugely captioned every week? Fuck you.

Finally caught up so I can join in.
    This season is confusing but I don't feel lost. I'm enjoying watch it unfold. Shogun World is so awesome and I'd be fine if the show stayed there for a while.
    The only thing I'm not getting is Dolores' motivations. Like, what was her reason for sacrificing the confederados at the fortress? It was like she wanted them dead, not for strategy, just to kill them.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Ok, last night's episode was the most confusing episode yet, but I still loved it.

I absolutely fucking loved tonight’s episode. I could have watched two more hours of Zahn McClarnon. It was beautifully acted and narrated, IMO.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    It was my favorite of the season so far even though it had all the problems I've had with other episodes. Somehow it worked for this one episode. Maybe because the actor is just fantastic? And scary as fuck if you've seen Fargo.

I mean, it didn't win me over for the season as a whole, but a decent hour of tv.

And as I watched it, I did start to get antsy after a while. Premium shows shouldn't be a solid hour. 50 minutes, tops. Commercial shows are 40-45. That extra 10-15 makes things just drag, even when it's a good episode.

Also? The subtitles were really hard to read. White text with a subtle black outline imposed over someone with painted white skin? No thanks.

Just watched the finale of season two...and I am really lost here: too many time jumps, some surprises, but overall, I think I lost motivation to rewatch the whole season to make more sense out of it.

I enjoyed the season, but yeah after the finale, I'm ready for a long break. It was a bit exhausting to even try to follow. And it feels a little like they are pulling a Lost on us and are just throwing out mysteries to keep the fans talking but will never answer any of it.
    And I just don't really care about any of the characters except Maeve.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    And I just don't really care about any of the characters except Maeve.
    She has the most emotional pull for me as well. Her story is pretty straight forward and maybe that's why.

As for basically everything else, I guess I think I know what's up but not entirely sure. It feels overly complicated. Maybe the time jumps were to give you the same sense of disorientation that many of the hosts feel. I actually said at one point, "Is this now? or what?"

Hiding a few questions and things under here to see if I'm on the same page as the rest of you.

And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

So, season two, y'all...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I absolutely fucking loved tonight’s episode. I could have watched two more hours of Zahn McClarnon. It was beautifully acted and narrated, IMO.
    Yeah, episodes like S2E8 are what keep me excited for this series despite all the convoluted AI plothole messes and sometimes puzzling character choices. (Like the writer Lee's choice in the S2 finale. WTF!?) You've seen Fargo S2, right? If you haven't then you're in for a treat. Zahn plays a badass named Hanzee.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    I enjoyed the season, but yeah after the finale...And I just don't really care about any of the characters except Maeve.
    Thandie Newton is one of my favorite actresses, so Maeve was my favorite character in S1. But she began to wain for me in S2 when she became "Super Maeve." And I'm not really sure what to expect after that finale. I felt that whole ending sequence before "the sublime" was just...off for her character and an excuse to keep her around fro S3.

Speaking of the ending and that post-credit scene, check out this HBO video for clarification.
    S2E10 Spoilers...

Nolan & Joy also did an interesting video commentary for probably my second favorite episode this season, S2E4 "Riddle of the Sphinx," but they also go in to a bit of discussion about the finale towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    . . .Hiding a few questions and things under here to see if I'm on the same page as the rest of you.

Here are my comments and attempts to answer some of those from your spoiler tag above...
    Last edited by Crispy; 06-28-2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: thpoilerth