Page 550 of 550 FirstFirst ... 50450500540548549550
Results 8,236 to 8,242 of 8242

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

It's definitely in my third tier (with Venus) which puts it in the 6th-8th spot. The drop-off from there is staggering, but I'm still beyond thrilled with this record, so my initial fears that I just had "new album goggles" were unfounded.

Choirgirl/Pele
    Pink/Earthquakes/Scarlet
    Venus/SLG/NI

I might still have new album goggles but I would still say it's currently in my top 3. It came to me at a time in my life where it was exactly what I needed to hear. The only other album I connected to that much was Pele. There are definitely other albums with better production, better skill, and better writing, but as far as how I connect to it, it is in the top.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

^ That's exactly how I feel. I know there are better albums in her catalog, but emotionally I connected to it in a way I connected to choirgirl and Scarlet, and that had largely to do with what was going on in my life when it was released. It was a security blanket in a very dark time, and it will always hold a very, very special place in my heart.

Plus, you know, WILDWOOD. 🖤

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    W o w. Just reading on this Binns/Surys drama. Didn't even know it happened. I'm really disappointed because I loved Paulina's art direction. I'm not so quick to jump to her side though because some of her comments seemed very unprofessional (as much as I enjoyed the tea, I feel like Tori might not work with her again for spilling the beans I stead of keeping this private). Binns sounds like a real piece of work. I had no idea that she had started taking some creative art direction control. Figures!
    ETA: Nevermind. I remember that little drama back then.
    Last edited by Jezebelle; 11-15-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I read two pages back
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    After some consideration, I'd say NI is my 6th favorite of hers. It is an incredible record and although I see UG as a sort of comeback (not that she went anywhere, but was having a tough time for a couple years), this album can stand alongside anything she put out from '92-'02. It's THAT good.
    we're two slow dancers, last ones out

I also need to echo the love others are still having for this album. It's the first album she's released in a long time that I can literally play without skipping tracks. There's a mature emotional energy that she evokes on this record that I simply havent heard from her since Scarlet. You can tell she's feeling this album, not just selling it, which has been her MO for many years now. Upside Down 2, which I know isn't for everyone, remains one of my favorite songs. 2018 was a really difficult year for me, full of hard choices, including a move back to Texas from Florida, changing jobs, and trying to find my way back to normal since then. "Watch the boats go by, no that is not our life. Not today." It's a true gut punch for me every time. I don't think I would remove any song from the album at this point. Even chocolate song has its place. It comes from a place of truth - and humor - when you're married for a long time. Simple pleasures like chocolate can snap you out of a dark place, especially where resentment is concerned, in a long-term relationship. I hated Wings at first, but it eventually grew on me. Mary's Eyes I have not connected with, but it has its place on the album, and I respect it. My husband, who is a casual fan, thinks it's her best work since Scarlet too. It's probably my sixth favorite album of hers. Total ranking below:

1. Boys for Pele
    2. Scarlet's Walk
    3. Little Earthquakes
    4. FTCH
    5. Under the Pink
    6. Native Invader
    7. Unrepentant Geraldines
    8. NOH
    9. Venus
    10. ADP
    11. TBK
    12. AATS
    13. SLG

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    I also need to echo the love others are still having for this album. It's the first album she's released in a long time that I can literally play without skipping tracks. There's a mature emotional energy that she evokes on this record that I simply havent heard from her since Scarlet. You can tell she's feeling this album, not just selling it, which has been her MO for many years now. Upside Down 2, which I know isn't for everyone, remains one of my favorite songs. 2018 was a really difficult year for me, full of hard choices, including a move back to Texas from Florida, changing jobs, and trying to find my way back to normal since then. "Watch the boats go by, no that is not our life. Not today." It's a true gut punch for me every time. I don't think I would remove any song from the album at this point. Even chocolate song has its place. It comes from a place of truth - and humor - when you're married for a long time. Simple pleasures like chocolate can snap you out of a dark place, especially where resentment is concerned, in a long-term relationship. I hated Wings at first, but it eventually grew on me. Mary's Eyes I have not connected with, but it has its place on the album, and I respect it. My husband, who is a casual fan, thinks it's her best work since Scarlet too. It's probably my sixth favorite album of hers. Total ranking below:

1. Boys for Pele
    2. Scarlet's Walk
    3. Little Earthquakes
    4. FTCH
    5. Under the Pink
    6. Native Invader
    7. Unrepentant Geraldines
    8. NOH
    9. Venus
    10. ADP
    11. TBK
    12. AATS