Page 1 of 577 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Native Invader | Now Released

Thread for news/info on the next Tori Amos album Native Invader, due on September 8, 2017.

[For newest updates, scroll down to the end of this post]

“The songs on ‘Native Invader’ are being pushed by the Muses to find different ways of facing unforeseen challenges and in some cases dangerous conflicts. The record looks to Nature and how, through resilience, she heals herself. The songs also wrestle with the question: what is our part in the destruction of our land, as well as ourselves, and in our relationships with each other?

In life there can be the shock of unexpected fires, floods, earthquakes, or any cataclysmic ravager – both on the inside and outside of our minds. Sonically and visually, I wanted to look at how Nature creates with her opposing forces, becoming the ultimate regenerator through her cycles of death and re-birth. Time and time again she is able to renew, can we find this renewal for ourselves?”
    QUOTES

I believe the Billboard article (Oct.6, 2016) is the first time she has actually confirmed a time frame for the next record.

What’s next for you?

Another album next year. We’re in beginning stages and it might be a very different record beginning Nov. 9, but let’s see where we’re going.
    Huffington Post interview (Nov.18, 2016)

We don’t really know where people go — where their souls go when they leave the planet. I do think that would be a different subject matter to look at...I’m working on a new record and maybe that’s in there. Well ... Yes, because I think at 33 when I was writing “Pele” — it’s not about being looked to an age but there is a fecundity and fertility that is happening physically. But you don’t necessarily have the experience of having that physical fertility ripped away or dying from you. And when I say fertility, I don’t mean going and getting eggs from a 28-year-old and carrying them as a 53-year-old — I mean your own. We’re talking about a different sensuality and that experience brings a kind of fruitfulness, but part of that fruitfulness is looking at the life cycle and death cycle.

Reported album cover shoot - March 18, 2017 (PopJustice forum)

A friend of a friend was shooting the album cover yesterday. Funny anecdotes aside, not sure what it's going to be like. I think said friend of a friend was pushing her away from the usual slight....tackiness of recent covers. How far they got with that remains to be seen.

Album deals with 'American Politics'.
    ---

There was mention of her wanting to be emerging from a tree or something very faeryprincess on the cover and the team nixed it I think. Mercifully?
    Tori's social media accounts are updated on March 30, 2017 with the following image and caption "well well here we go again...."

Tori's social media accounts are updated on April 18, 2017 with the following image and caption "The Wurly has been hard at work. -96"

Tori's social media accounts are updated on April 19, 2017 with the following image and caption "All will be revealed soon. -72"

Tori's social media accounts are updated on April 20, 2017 with the following image and caption "The process continues. -48"

Tori's social media accounts are updated on April 21, 2017 with the following image and caption "The sacred fire. -24"

Tori's social media accounts are updated on April 22, 2017 announcing a new album, Native Invader, due in September 2017, and an upcoming world tour.

Danish website Billetlugen posts an article about the new album and tour on April 23, 2017. It confirms a release date of September 8 and a performance in Denmark on September 23.

European tour dates are announced

John Philip Shenale appears to confirm on Facebook on May 25, 2017 that he is working on the new album, with the status "My gods, this new T beauty!!!"

From a Tori Amos Facebook group on May 29, 2017:

I heard from Tori today and thought you all might enjoy what she had to say: I am head down, pencils sharpened, and sonically chopping wood and carrying water.
    hugs, t.
    Marcel van Limbeek posts on Facebook on June 5, 2017 that he is excited for the new album/tour, and Jon Astley comments that he expects to be mastering by the end of the month.

On July 6, 2017, Tori's Facebook page reveals the album artwork and states that Tori is making a big announcement this MONDAY (July 10th) on Facebook Live at 9:00 AM PT / 11:00 AM CT / 12:00 PM ET / 5:00 PM GMT!

A tour date for Silva Concert Hall in Eugene, OR, on November 25, 2017 (onsale date July 13) emerges online on July 2, 2017. Another date appears online the following day, for the Tower Theatre at Upper Darby, PA, on Nov.4, but is taken down. On July 5, dates appear online for the Paramount Theatre in Denver, CO, for Nov.19, and at the Paramount in Oakland, CA, on Nov.26. On July 7, a date appears for the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor, MI, for Oct.31.

Marcel van Limbeek posts studio photos on July 7, 2017 of Tori's keyboard set-up, including synths and a Wurlitzer:

Mixing is reported to be concluded on July 9, 2017. Later that day, Tori updates her Facebook account with studio photos following the "last bits of recording" for the album.

Tori appears on Facebook Live on July 10, 2017, to promote the US tour dates which are announced via her website just prior. She confirms that the album was completed on Saturday night and features Tash on a song about "climate science." A song entitled "Mary's Eyes" also appears.

North American tour dates are announced:

Marcel Van Limbeek posts on Facebook that the vinyl test press was completed at Abbey Road

On July 13, 2017, Twitter user Chris (@onscarletswalk) posted a screenshot of the supposed tracklisting from Universal Music Australia. This website also had correct information regarding The Light Princess cast recording. There are two separate listings for the standard and bonus versions of the album.

Twitter user @ChrisAzzopardi tweets that he has heard the new album, and gives the following comments:

As of July 17, 2017, Native Invader can be pre-ordered on Amazon.com

The website Klassic Akzente (a Universal Music Germany partner site), has release listings for 3 tracks.

On July 18, 2017, Editorial Director of HuffPost Voices at HuffPost Noah Michelson shared his first thoughts on Native Invader

On July 24, 2017, Tori Amos' Facebook page presents the tracklist and announces "something special" on Thursday.

On July 27, 2017, NPR premieres Cloud Riders.

On July 27, 2017, sound engineer Marcel van Limbeek shared on his Facebook page the following after the premiere of Cloud Riders.

As of July 27, 2017, Cloud Riders is available on YouTube, courtesy of the ToriAmosVEVO page

As of July 27, 2017, the Deluxe Edition of Native Invader can be pre-ordered on iTunes. It includes the two bonus tracks Russia and Upside Down 2.

On July 28, 2017, an official email has been sent via Tori Amos' newsletter, announcing that the album is up for pre-orders, revealing some inspirations for the album (her mother's severe stroke and the US Election) and stating that there are new music and videos coming up soon. At the end of the newsletter, Tori comments on Cloud Riders.

On July 29, 2017, a listing appears on Tori's SoundCloud for Up the Creek, to be available on August 11, 2017.

Since July 31, 2017, poster Noah has been sharing some thoughts and descriptions on various songs.

On August 4, 2017, a video with the official lyrics of Cloud Riders has been released.

On August 6, 2017, Chris Azzopardi states on Twitter that he is interviewing Tori this coming week and invites fan questions.

On August 7, 2017, Marcel van Limbeek has shared on his Facebook page more technical aspects on mixing Native Invader as well as several photos including two of the promo shots that have been circulating online for a while now.

On August 7, 2017, Tori's YouTube channel shared a video of Tori's inspiration behind Cloud Riders.

More lyric snippets appear online at Yessaid later that day.

Neil Gaiman also posts to Facebook:

I heard the whole album tonight. It's breathtakingly good.
    On August 8, 2017, Tori sat with Nylon to share some thoughts about Native Invader.

Tori also chats to Pitchfork in New York.

On August 10, 2017, Stereogum premiered the new single Up The Creek off Native Invader.

Tori Amos’ upcoming album Native Invader draws inspiration from the natural world, finding a redemptive hope in its endless cycles of death and rebirth. Lead single “Cloud Riders” was all about “riding out this storm,” but new song “Up The Creek” is more explicitly political, building a haunting chorus out of her Native American grandfather’s favorite saying: “Good lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise/ We may just survive/ If the militia of the mind/ Arm against those climate blind.” A dark electronic pulse adds a sense of urgency, and Amos’ daughter Tash provides additional vocals. Listen below.
    Also on August 10, 2017, Tori addresses Native Invaders in an interview on BBC 6 Music Breakfast.

Official album credits and images, and later full lyrics, emerge online on August 11, 2017.

From St. Vincent (Annie Clark)'s Twitter:

St. Vincent ✔ @st_vincent
    I'll Cloud Ride with you any day, @toriamos. ❤️
    7:04 AM - Aug 11, 2017
    Tori's reply the following day:

tori amos ✔ @toriamos
    Annie grab your bass guitar ������@st_vincent ❤️
    12:25 AM - Aug 12, 2017
    Also on August 12, 2017, Marcel van Limbeek posts about tour rehearsals:

Today the Tori Amos audio crew descended onto the SSE Audio Group warehouse in Redditch to prepare all the sound equipment for the upcoming "Native Invader" tour. Mark and I are pretty excited to be using two brand new Digico SD12 consoles. Lots of programming to do...
    SSE have been supplying Tori's live sound equipment on every single tour since "Under The Pink" in 1994!!! Our great friends do much more than provide audio gear. They're even building a brand new roadcase for Tori's Bösendorfer grand piano...

An album review appears at the Boycotting Trends blog on August 14, 2017. An interview appears at the Wall Street Journal site.

Uncut magazine publishes a 6/10 album review on August 17, 2017.

Later, the lyric video for "Up the Creek" is uploaded.

Marcel and Tori post rehearsal photos on August 20, 2017.

An interview appears at the Creative Independent site on August 21, 2017. Noah's interview appears at the Huffington Post. Meanwhile, a feature appears at WFUV.

Another interview appears at Pride Source on August 22, 2017.

Mojo publishes a 4/5 review.

Tori thanks fans for birthday wishes on her 54th birthday, and confirms tour rehearsals have concluded.

A new interview appears online at Pop Matters on August 23, 2017.

DailyMotion premieres "Reindeer King." W Magazine also posts an article about the song.

Tori performs live for Polish Radio 3 in Warsaw on August 24, 2017, playing a set including the live debut of "Reindeer King" alongside "Purple People," "Roosterspur Bridge," and "1000 Oceans."

Marcel posts on Facebook about the vocal recording of the new album on August 26, 2017.

Tori appears for an interview on UK TV on Channel 4's Sunday Brunch on August 27, 2017.

On August 31, 2017, premiere of Wings on BBC Radio 2 alongside an interview with Tori.

On September 4, 2017, premiere of Benjamin on MDR Kultur. There is a small talk about the album too in German and Cloud Riders is also played.

Other promo images

Last edited by Rabih; 09-04-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Let me be pessimistic about this.
    Not the fact that she'll release something next year, because probably she will do it.
    But if she is in the "beginning stages" (whatever the heck that means in her case) and she's waiting for the election in November, then she'll start writing that album properly on December/January, and then recording, and then mastering, and then voilà! another rushed album.
    Girl, you need to take some fucking time with your music. Stop being so impulsive, we really love you, but we'll love you more if you take a couple of months more to make something that will replace the next Giant's Rolling Pin.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Not the fact that she'll release something next year, because probably she will do it.
    But if she is in the "beginning stages" (whatever the heck that means in her case) and she's waiting for the election in November, then she'll start writing that album properly on December/January, and then recording, and then mastering, and then voilà! another rushed album.
    Girl, you need to take some fucking time with your music. Stop being so impulsive, we really love you, but we'll love you more if you take a couple of months more to make something that will replace the next Giant's Rolling Pin.
    If the new record sounds like flicker, I won't even download it. I'm really over patched production. She'll better either make an entirely acoustic album or hire proper musicians.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

We have to make peace with the fact that the new record will sound like UG (hopefully with more Selkies and less Rolling Pins).
    I am cautiously optimistic after that Billboard podcast, she sounded so eloquent and thoughtful. I think she is in a great place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    There are 12 months in 2017. As far as I've read, there's no mention of when in 2017 the album will be released. Judging from available information about how long earlier albums took to record (around 5 months in general), there's plenty of time for a 2017 release even factoring in the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    If the new record sounds like flicker, I won't even download it. I'm really over patched production. She'll better either make an entirely acoustic album or hire proper musicians.
    This is exactly the way i feel! i also will be disappointed if the lyrics are as heavy handed as Flickr, and if her singing is as bad. i think Flickr might be her worst song ever, so it`s hard for me not to expect her worst album ever to follow it.

Worst song ever? The production is crap and the lyrics aren't strong but the overall composition is pretty standard fair, if not solid. I don't really like the song but you think it's really that awful?
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by RG View Post
    Worst song ever? The production is crap and the lyrics aren't strong but the overall composition is pretty standard fair, if not solid. I don't really like the song but you think it's really that awful?
    To me it's not an awful song, it's far worse: it's a mildly average song, more mediocre than beautiful, turned into a total piece of crap by the producion and the lyrics. The vocals are not as bad as some other things (midwinter graces) but they are really annoying. The guitars sucks, but instead of ruining the song, they distract from how flat it is. Shit uh littuh loo-aight oon thee hee hee.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Flicker is quite horrible in its mediocrity so I'm also hoping the new album isn't anything like it. But like Akira said, it will most likely sound like UG, and I will end up cherry picking the Selkies and Weathermans and forgetting the rest.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

I won't be downloading it either if she insists on using the same team she used for UG.
    The insipidness and nepotism has started to become offensive and dare I say it without sounding like an entitled listener; patronising.
    I wouldn't spend money on any other artists work, in any medium of the arts, if I knew their process was so lazy. You'd expect an artist of her calibre and with the amount of resources available to her that she would, you know, use them.
    In any profession, any service, any product that I'm expected to pay money for you'd like to know that the people behind them have done their fair share of homework.
    Just asking your husband and your daughter for their "expertise" help or just stubbornly doing it all yourself, is in my opinion lazy and extremely unfair.
    It's a family business where the product just isn't up to par with the competition.
    I wouldn't go back to a family run restaurant for the sole fact that grandma was in the kitchen cooking and the grandchildren were front of house. If the food they serve is underwhelming and the service is crap, I go somewhere else.
    And I think the "Hawley Tavern" is selling some fairly bland dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ordbok View Post
    I won't be downloading it either if she insists on using the same team she used for UG.
    The insipidness and nepotism has started to become offensive and dare I say it without sounding like an entitled listener; patronising.
    I wouldn't spend money on any other artists work, in any medium of the arts, if I knew their process was so lazy. You'd expect an artist of her calibre and with the amount of resources available to her that she would, you know, use them.
    In any profession, any service, any product that I'm expected to pay money for you'd like to know that the people behind them have done their fair share of homework.
    Just asking your husband and your daughter for their "expertise" help or just stubbornly doing it all yourself, is in my opinion lazy and extremely unfair.
    It's a family business where the product just isn't up to par with the competition.
    I wouldn't go back to a family run restaurant for the sole fact that grandma was in the kitchen cooking and the grandchildren were front of house. If the food they serve is underwhelming and the service is crap, I go somewhere else.
    And I think the "Hawley Tavern" is selling some fairly bland dishes.
    I get what you say, but I think we shouldn't be so harsh. A family's balance is something quite fragile, and I suspect Tori had to face difficult choices. I don't know if she really likes Mark's musical contribuition, but I have a feeling that he has gone through some severe depression (mixed with alcoholism) and, well... if you love someone you'll do anything to make them feel worthy, to make them part of your world. I don't know if my assumption is realistic, but I happened to think that he suffered because of his wife's professional success - I mean, she's Tori Amos the singer/pianist and he's basically her employee. Maybe he felt/feels outshadowed by her stature (we all know that Tori Amos can be quite a cumbersome presence to live with) and he threatened to leave, or something like that. So Tori had to choose between upgrading him to a peer (they're essentially a duo, now) and continuing following her muse, but alone. And she chose the latter. I understand it, but it would have been so much better if only he didn't suck as a musician.

Apart from that, I must say that I think Tori always had a bad taste, aestethically. Maybe because she's a Leo, and I've never met a Leo who didn't have a bit of a tacky taste, but she just has no sense of limit. She always overdoes: too many colours on her dresses, too many songs in her records, too many instruments in her songs, too many high notes where they don't need to be. She's the opposite of PJ Harvey, who has less melodic talent, but rarely shoots blank because she knows where her limit is and knows how to edit.
    Last edited by Carey; 10-10-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Tori´s husband should go and work in a Starbucks or something. Or being practicing 10 years the guitar and come back later if he has something to contribute. It must be hard being a top musician as Tori and having a mediocre husband that wants to work with you. I´d say Tori is being also mediocre if she lets him to put those horrible guitar chords in her songs.

I wonder if Tori knows what negative opinion most of us have of her husband as a musician.
    Last edited by datura1452; 10-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.

I sympathise with juggling your professional life with living and working with a family member suffering. If that is indeed the case with her spouse.
    And I suspect the general consensus when it comes to the field of art is that it's subjective and a matter of free choice whether you support or like something or not.
    But Tori is a professional, this is her job.
    So if anything, I'm grateful she's not in any other line of work.
    Cause what I suspect she calls integrity and standing up to the evil record business or whatever, has turned into something very different.
    Something that ultimately always ruins any career in any line of work -
    The idea that you don't need help, you don't need to double-check, you don't need to research anything, you don't need outside influence. Why bother ey? I do it just fine myself with the help of my husband.
    Well "just fine" has never been the best of slogans

Quote Originally Posted by ordbok View Post
    I sympathise with juggling your professional life with living and working with a family member suffering. If that is indeed the case with her spouse.
    And I suspect the general consensus when it comes to the field of art is that it's subjective and a matter of free choice whether you support or like something or not.
    Cause what I suspect she calls integrity and standing up to the evil record business or whatever, has turned into something very different.
    The idea that you don't need help, you don't need to double-check, you don't need to research anything, you don't need outside influence. Why bother ey? I do it just fine myself with the help of my husband.
    I don't think that what she has to say about the "evil record business" is credible anymore.
    If she doesn't like working with big record companies, then why does she work with them all the time? She could release her music herself, she could collaborate with small labels but no, she has always worked for majors and it is a choice.
    She even thinks like them now. When you ask her when her next record will be out, she answers "in 2017". She gives you a date. Singers with musical integrity like Björk or Kate Bush would answer: "when it is ready".

I don't think that what she has to say about the "evil record business" is credible anymore.
    If she doesn't like working with big record companies, then why does she work with them all the time? She could release her music herself, she could collaborate with small labels but no, she has always worked for majors and it is a choice.
    She even thinks like them now. When you ask her when her next record will be out, she answers "in 2017". She gives you a date. Singers with musical integrity like Björk or Kate Bush would answer: "when it is ready".
    I agree.

It's tricky, because in a sense she learnt how to be less self-centered and leave room to others in her creative process. Too bad these "others" are basically Mark, her daughter and Marcel. She needs someone to brutally tell her what works and what doesn't. Someone who tells her that, say, invisible boy works better in a lower key, as she sings it live, and that high notes don't make it more impressive. Someone who tells her that doubled vocals and uncontrolled use of echo give no depth to her music.