Page 549 of 551 FirstFirst ... 49449499539547548549550551 LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,235 of 8252

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Ok, so one example and Binns own Instagram. I doubt that's grounds for a law suit.

The fact is that the final pictures does not feature Tori in front of a brick wall. Paulina clearly got what she wanted. The credits in the artwork does not credit Karen Binns as "creative director", it puts "Style and Concept" under the heading "The Glam" (clearly an abbreviation of the usual "The Glam Squad") indicating to me any way that the concept she came up with had to do with the styling. I went back and looked at the liner notes of the earlier albums and credits for "art direction" or something similar has been used intermittently (for ADP, SW, TVaB, FTCH) but it's not always clear when it refers to the photography and when it refers to the packaging in general. After ADP there's usually only a credit for photography. Cindy Palmany was credited for both photography and Art Direction on the first three albums.

God, I never thought I'd spend this much effort thinking about concept/art direction-credits for Tori Amos albums.
    Btw, not sure if this was mentioned already in this context - aside from the "Creative Direction" pic on the Instagram account, but it was the Popmatters interview where the following was said that now seems somehow significant;

"The atmospheric artwork for the record, which features Amos posed in print-screened landscapes with various talismans and totems, speaks to its interwoven lyrical themes. Asked about visual references for the album, Amos credits Karen Binns, her longtime collaborator, as “the conceptual brain” behind the images. “Karen was on board early on,” Amos confirms. “We’ve been working together for so many years now. It was Karen who put me in touch with the Polish artist Paulina [Otylie Surys], and that was a great collaboration.”

https://www.popmatters.com/still-tho...495383034.html
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

^Yeah, I remember reading that. So Karen Binns recommended Paulina to Tori, and was on board before Paulina? I don't know, I still think this conversation is very one-sided. We've only got Paulina's version. Binns might be taking too much credit, but my hunch is that Paulina might be unfairly minimizing Binns input.

God forbid anyone should ever question a decision made by one of Tori's team, right, Andreas?

Come on, that's not fair. We all don't have to agree. It doesn't mean I'm an apologist for Karen Binns or anyone else in Tori's team. I don't like the artwork for any of the albums between 2005-2011. I don't like 90% of the fashion Binns put Tori in. I said pages ago that I can totally imagine that Binns is awful to work with (though honestly, how would I or any of us know?).

But the fact is that we only have one side of this story. I honestly don't think the way the credits in the booklet or tour program are written clearly attribute the artwork concept to Binns. The "creative direction"-credit on Binns instagram seems more flagrant, but Tori's own words in that interview suggests that Binns was heavily involved in the process. And yeah, it kinda bothers me that because a lot of us don't like what Binns does, we're willing to approach Paulina's allegations without any ounce of skepticism.

Again, we disagree. That's fine and natural. I don't appreciate the snide suggestion that I'm just an apologist for Tori's team though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/l...s-poll-w513196 Native Invader makes it into Rolling Stone's readers' poll. To think how far we've come since the days of jumpsuits and fat sluts.

That's certainly great, yet the other albums in that list make me wonder how old the average Rolling Stone reader is...

^ Seems like that list came from the 30-year-old children of the average Rolling Stone reader.

I swear I can hear a little harpsichord on Breakaway, or am I losing it?

Unreleased/Unfinished Songs

Black is the Color
    Stone by Stone
    Baptize Your Love
    - from this album?
    Last edited by Littlegreen; 12-08-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    That’s fine. I’m thrilled to see NI show up on more than one best albums of 2017 list. It really is a damn good album. I especially love this line from Albumism’s best of write up: “Native Invader's contents are emotionality tiered, thus, the performances are pitched between bittersweet acceptance of the inevitable and hearty defiance.”

I mean, yes.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    The Rolling Stones readers list is clearly "artists with the most obsessed fans who will vote 100 times a day", hence One Direction... but I'm always happy to see Tori on any kind of major year-end list. That hasn't happened in a VERY LONG WHILE.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Those unreleased track titles.... ughhh.

"Black is the Color" hellooooo my true love's hair? Someone already did this, NEXT.

"Stone By Stone" actually just a remix of Björk - Who Is It

"Baptize Your Love" better hurry up and release it before Madonna does it first

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Native Invader's contents are emotionality tiered, thus, the performances are pitched between bittersweet acceptance of the inevitable and hearty defiance.
    Beautiful, spot-on description. Why didn't I think of it!

I got a package from Barnes & Noble and inside is a little booklet advertising their movies and music picks. It lists Native Invader among their best-selling CD & vinyl. Yay!

champagne spiritualist mr graeme's Avatar
    Videos for the performances from the Current are up in case it wasn't already posted.

working my way back to me again

^ Currently listening to Breakaway Live. Sounds amazing!