Page 576 of 577 FirstFirst ... 76476526566574575576577 LastLast
Results 8,626 to 8,640 of 8644

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

Idk I'm looking at UG pics http://www.yessaid.com/photos-2014-u...eraldines.html and there are some serious wtf moments (like the black dress photo making her look extra tall). Paulina's style at least had great potential... And they came up with the best cover since Venus imo.

Plus Tori usually looks super cool and totally herself when she's shooted for magazines, some of the pics from recent years were absolutely stunning with great concept and styling - guess it happens when Binns is not around...

But, oh well, at least she invented the term cornflake girl with her...

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    The candy cane Abe Lincoln monster is one of the ugliest fashion photos I've ever seen. I don't know how Tori didn't get the hint after Midwinter Graces was such a laughing stock (even ending up on Pitchfork's worst album covers)... they must be REALLY good friends. And then she probably heard an earful from the designer about Night of Hunters' photoshoot too.
    Nah, I'm sorry, but if Tori knows that people are thinking her style is complete shit and they're really good friends, she should be able to say "darling, I love you, we're BFF, but this time I'm going to work with somebody else" and Binns shouldn't get offended.
    This is not friendship, not in a healthy way.

Or maybe Tori thinks she's considered a fashion icon.
    Which makes everything worse.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post
    This last one was really not the case for the other photographers Tori worked with before (I remember checking out Victor de Mello's - NOH photographer - portfolio when it was known that he would be working with Tori and his pictures looked very interesting, however the resulting images were... lackluster.)
    That is really the only thing that keeps fascinating me about the previous albums: how could most collaborations with evidently talented and creative photographers go so horribly wrong? It almost looks like someone attempted to copy their style, failing miserably.

Kevin Mackintosh did a solid job for The Beekeeper, I think. His images remind me a little bit of David LaChapelle. While some of the most intriguing shots didn't end up in the booklet, I think this can and should still be regarded as a thoughtful and respectably executed effort. There is a sense of cohesion – probably because Mackintosh was responsible for photography and art direction.

While I am beyond critical of her work, I reckon it would be silly to blame Karen Binns for everything that went down the drain in the visual department. She was a stylist for the most part and didn't start intervening until a few years ago. After all, the unspeakable debacle that – to my eyes – is American Doll Posse in every imaginable regard had not been art directed by Binns but by Ria Lewerke and Norman Moore. The images (horrid styling, concept and everything else aside) look nothing like something Blaise Reutersward would have photographed. I find that odd.

Likewise, Christopher Kornmann oversaw the Abnormally Attracted to Sin project (I prefer to call it project) as a creative director, obviously performing his duties in art direction and design whilst blindfolded (how appropriate for the album). God knows what Karen Collins had in her tea when taking those photos. And God knows what Christopher Kornmann had in his tea when doing further post-production on them. Kornmann made another appearance in 2009 – on diabolic mission with Sandy Brummels as art director this time around – for Midwinter Graces. Goodfuckingbye. I honestly have no other way of saying it. How Miranda Penn Turin happened to gave in to do whatever Brummels and Kornmann were telling her to do is something I would be interested in finding out. Is this another case of doing simply a commissioned work – work to rule? Those photos have absolutely nothing to do with her aesthetic. They might as well have hired a random session photographer for this. And there was obviously no voice of reason whatsoever telling Christopher Kornmann to go easy while dragging those photos through every Photoshop filter imaginable.

Things get a bit intransparent, though, with Night of Hunters. I'd like to know who held a gun to Victor de Mello's head while photographing Tori in 2011 and – most importantly – who art-directed the whole album project. I'm not willing to conclude that de Mello was free to do whatever he wanted. So, is this when Karen Binns stepped in to do a bit of uncredited art directing (or "shouting" as Paulina would probably say)? The reason why that seems credible is that from there on, the aesthetic is consistently... one of a kind! For Gold Dust, Binns worked closely with Danielle Levitt and Tori made it sound as if it was an actual visual collaboration between the former two. For Unrepentant Geraldines (which – in my opinion – only differs from American Doll Posse in terms of aesthetic atrocity in background and choice of "couture"), Binns was credited as a proper art direction and... wow. I am still in recovery.

I don't even remember what my intentions where when beginning to write this post. I guess it had something to do with trying to find out when Karen Binns had a more prominent part in Tori's visual representation. Got a bit carried away, I guess. Isn't it strange how there's such a drastic shift in artwork quality for Native Invader as soon as Binns' work is restricted to styling only? Honestly, I would like Tori to collaborate and develop her projects with photographers and not rely on an additional art director in the future.

The best part of all this situation is that now we have somebody to make responsible for this:

When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I haven't seen this video to this day and I intend to die in total ignorance. The few thumbnails I saw were more than enough.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    The bangs on that Pip wig are giving me OCD. WHY is it cut like that?

I really TBK artwork, no freakin shame there. Beautiful sets. The cover image is cheesy, but the album is cheesy too. So at least it's honest? With ADP, I think the doll posse was a convenient excuse for the artifice of it all, but it still wasn't good. AATS was uninteresting and passable (like the album)..... but then MG. There should've been an intervention there.

I still think the artwork for Unrepentant Geraldines was great, although I am biased toward how strong everything was that era - it felt like a revival for her personally, she stepped into her maturity as a 50-something musician, her voice was back and stronger than it was in years, and she looked like herself in the photographs (and ditched wearing full wigs). It still could have been better but the photographs themselves, and what were IMO very flattering looks for her, resulted in a really strong set of artwork. Looking at the link someone posted above to yessaid, it was even better than I remember it being. She looked at ease in the photographs and it didn't feel to me like she was acting - it felt really in tune with the sort of 'personal revival' she had going on for herself surrounding that album.

Midwinter Graces, AATS, ADP, etc.... are LIGHTYEARS behind the UG artwork in my opinion. There isn't a bit of Tori in any of those photos.

While I'm on this nostalgia trip, I should note that spring 2014 was a really good season for me in my own life. And also listen to the BBC Cornwall interview because it was hilarious and cute and made me really happy for her being in such a good place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQjQY7NtBY
    Last edited by mr. bad man; 12-07-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Ok, so one example and Binns own Instagram. I doubt that's grounds for a law suit.

The fact is that the final pictures does not feature Tori in front of a brick wall. Paulina clearly got what she wanted. The credits in the artwork does not credit Karen Binns as "creative director", it puts "Style and Concept" under the heading "The Glam" (clearly an abbreviation of the usual "The Glam Squad") indicating to me any way that the concept she came up with had to do with the styling. I went back and looked at the liner notes of the earlier albums and credits for "art direction" or something similar has been used intermittently (for ADP, SW, TVaB, FTCH) but it's not always clear when it refers to the photography and when it refers to the packaging in general. After ADP there's usually only a credit for photography. Cindy Palmany was credited for both photography and Art Direction on the first three albums.

God, I never thought I'd spend this much effort thinking about concept/art direction-credits for Tori Amos albums.
    Btw, not sure if this was mentioned already in this context - aside from the "Creative Direction" pic on the Instagram account, but it was the Popmatters interview where the following was said that now seems somehow significant;

"The atmospheric artwork for the record, which features Amos posed in print-screened landscapes with various talismans and totems, speaks to its interwoven lyrical themes. Asked about visual references for the album, Amos credits Karen Binns, her longtime collaborator, as “the conceptual brain” behind the images. “Karen was on board early on,” Amos confirms. “We’ve been working together for so many years now. It was Karen who put me in touch with the Polish artist Paulina [Otylie Surys], and that was a great collaboration.”

https://www.popmatters.com/still-tho...495383034.html
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

^Yeah, I remember reading that. So Karen Binns recommended Paulina to Tori, and was on board before Paulina? I don't know, I still think this conversation is very one-sided. We've only got Paulina's version. Binns might be taking too much credit, but my hunch is that Paulina might be unfairly minimizing Binns input.

God forbid anyone should ever question a decision made by one of Tori's team, right, Andreas?

Come on, that's not fair. We all don't have to agree. It doesn't mean I'm an apologist for Karen Binns or anyone else in Tori's team. I don't like the artwork for any of the albums between 2005-2011. I don't like 90% of the fashion Binns put Tori in. I said pages ago that I can totally imagine that Binns is awful to work with (though honestly, how would I or any of us know?).

But the fact is that we only have one side of this story. I honestly don't think the way the credits in the booklet or tour program are written clearly attribute the artwork concept to Binns. The "creative direction"-credit on Binns instagram seems more flagrant, but Tori's own words in that interview suggests that Binns was heavily involved in the process. And yeah, it kinda bothers me that because a lot of us don't like what Binns does, we're willing to approach Paulina's allegations without any ounce of skepticism.

Again, we disagree. That's fine and natural. I don't appreciate the snide suggestion that I'm just an apologist for Tori's team though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/l...s-poll-w513196 Native Invader makes it into Rolling Stone's readers' poll. To think how far we've come since the days of jumpsuits and fat sluts.

That's certainly great, yet the other albums in that list make me wonder how old the average Rolling Stone reader is...

^ Seems like that list came from the 30-year-old children of the average Rolling Stone reader.

I swear I can hear a little harpsichord on Breakaway, or am I losing it?

Unreleased/Unfinished Songs

Black is the Color
    Stone by Stone
    Baptize Your Love
    - from this album?
    Last edited by Littlegreen; 12-08-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    They say you were something in those formative years...