Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 686

Thread: New Album 2017

  1. #1
    Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,574

    New Album 2017

    Thread for news/info on the next Tori Amos album, due in 2017.

    I believe the Billboard article (Oct.6, 2016) is the first time she has actually confirmed a time frame for the next record.

    What’s next for you?

    Another album next year. We’re in beginning stages and it might be a very different record beginning Nov. 9, but let’s see where we’re going.
    Huffington Post interview (Nov.18, 2016)

    We don’t really know where people go — where their souls go when they leave the planet. I do think that would be a different subject matter to look at...I’m working on a new record and maybe that’s in there. Well ... Yes, because I think at 33 when I was writing “Pele” — it’s not about being looked to an age but there is a fecundity and fertility that is happening physically. But you don’t necessarily have the experience of having that physical fertility ripped away or dying from you. And when I say fertility, I don’t mean going and getting eggs from a 28-year-old and carrying them as a 53-year-old — I mean your own. We’re talking about a different sensuality and that experience brings a kind of fruitfulness, but part of that fruitfulness is looking at the life cycle and death cycle.

    Reported album cover shoot - March 18, 2017 (PopJustice forum)

    A friend of a friend was shooting the album cover yesterday. Funny anecdotes aside, not sure what it's going to be like. I think said friend of a friend was pushing her away from the usual slight....tackiness of recent covers. How far they got with that remains to be seen.

    Album deals with 'American Politics'.
    ---

    There was mention of her wanting to be emerging from a tree or something very faeryprincess on the cover and the team nixed it I think. Mercifully?
    Last edited by menju56; 03-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.

  2. #2
    the unhappy worker waitressboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Buenos Aires
    Posts
    3,003
    Let me be pessimistic about this.
    Not the fact that she'll release something next year, because probably she will do it.
    But if she is in the "beginning stages" (whatever the heck that means in her case) and she's waiting for the election in November, then she'll start writing that album properly on December/January, and then recording, and then mastering, and then voilà! another rushed album.
    Girl, you need to take some fucking time with your music. Stop being so impulsive, we really love you, but we'll love you more if you take a couple of months more to make something that will replace the next Giant's Rolling Pin.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Let me be pessimistic about this.
    Not the fact that she'll release something next year, because probably she will do it.
    But if she is in the "beginning stages" (whatever the heck that means in her case) and she's waiting for the election in November, then she'll start writing that album properly on December/January, and then recording, and then mastering, and then voilà! another rushed album.
    Girl, you need to take some fucking time with your music. Stop being so impulsive, we really love you, but we'll love you more if you take a couple of months more to make something that will replace the next Giant's Rolling Pin.
    If the new record sounds like flicker, I won't even download it. I'm really over patched production. She'll better either make an entirely acoustic album or hire proper musicians.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    513
    We have to make peace with the fact that the new record will sound like UG (hopefully with more Selkies and less Rolling Pins).
    I am cautiously optimistic after that Billboard podcast, she sounded so eloquent and thoughtful. I think she is in a great place right now.

  5. #5
    ancient savageries Andreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Let me be pessimistic about this.
    Not the fact that she'll release something next year, because probably she will do it.
    But if she is in the "beginning stages" (whatever the heck that means in her case) and she's waiting for the election in November, then she'll start writing that album properly on December/January, and then recording, and then mastering, and then voilà! another rushed album.
    Girl, you need to take some fucking time with your music. Stop being so impulsive, we really love you, but we'll love you more if you take a couple of months more to make something that will replace the next Giant's Rolling Pin.
    There are 12 months in 2017. As far as I've read, there's no mention of when in 2017 the album will be released. Judging from available information about how long earlier albums took to record (around 5 months in general), there's plenty of time for a 2017 release even factoring in the election.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    If the new record sounds like flicker, I won't even download it. I'm really over patched production. She'll better either make an entirely acoustic album or hire proper musicians.
    This is exactly the way i feel! i also will be disappointed if the lyrics are as heavy handed as Flickr, and if her singing is as bad. i think Flickr might be her worst song ever, so it`s hard for me not to expect her worst album ever to follow it.

  7. #7
    Worst song ever? The production is crap and the lyrics aren't strong but the overall composition is pretty standard fair, if not solid. I don't really like the song but you think it's really that awful?
    Unworthy is the ruler whose subjects seek the solace of false gods.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by RG View Post
    Worst song ever? The production is crap and the lyrics aren't strong but the overall composition is pretty standard fair, if not solid. I don't really like the song but you think it's really that awful?
    To me it's not an awful song, it's far worse: it's a mildly average song, more mediocre than beautiful, turned into a total piece of crap by the producion and the lyrics. The vocals are not as bad as some other things (midwinter graces) but they are really annoying. The guitars sucks, but instead of ruining the song, they distract from how flat it is. Shit uh littuh loo-aight oon thee hee hee.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  9. #9
    Cosmic Flavor Yo Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,568
    Flicker is quite horrible in its mediocrity so I'm also hoping the new album isn't anything like it. But like Akira said, it will most likely sound like UG, and I will end up cherry picking the Selkies and Weathermans and forgetting the rest.
    Не може со обични зборови да ја домами необичноста, зашто и необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ordbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    159
    I won't be downloading it either if she insists on using the same team she used for UG.
    The insipidness and nepotism has started to become offensive and dare I say it without sounding like an entitled listener; patronising.
    I wouldn't spend money on any other artists work, in any medium of the arts, if I knew their process was so lazy. You'd expect an artist of her calibre and with the amount of resources available to her that she would, you know, use them.
    In any profession, any service, any product that I'm expected to pay money for you'd like to know that the people behind them have done their fair share of homework.
    Just asking your husband and your daughter for their "expertise" help or just stubbornly doing it all yourself, is in my opinion lazy and extremely unfair.
    It's a family business where the product just isn't up to par with the competition.
    I wouldn't go back to a family run restaurant for the sole fact that grandma was in the kitchen cooking and the grandchildren were front of house. If the food they serve is underwhelming and the service is crap, I go somewhere else.
    And I think the "Hawley Tavern" is selling some fairly bland dishes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by ordbok View Post
    I won't be downloading it either if she insists on using the same team she used for UG.
    The insipidness and nepotism has started to become offensive and dare I say it without sounding like an entitled listener; patronising.
    I wouldn't spend money on any other artists work, in any medium of the arts, if I knew their process was so lazy. You'd expect an artist of her calibre and with the amount of resources available to her that she would, you know, use them.
    In any profession, any service, any product that I'm expected to pay money for you'd like to know that the people behind them have done their fair share of homework.
    Just asking your husband and your daughter for their "expertise" help or just stubbornly doing it all yourself, is in my opinion lazy and extremely unfair.
    It's a family business where the product just isn't up to par with the competition.
    I wouldn't go back to a family run restaurant for the sole fact that grandma was in the kitchen cooking and the grandchildren were front of house. If the food they serve is underwhelming and the service is crap, I go somewhere else.
    And I think the "Hawley Tavern" is selling some fairly bland dishes.
    I get what you say, but I think we shouldn't be so harsh. A family's balance is something quite fragile, and I suspect Tori had to face difficult choices. I don't know if she really likes Mark's musical contribuition, but I have a feeling that he has gone through some severe depression (mixed with alcoholism) and, well... if you love someone you'll do anything to make them feel worthy, to make them part of your world. I don't know if my assumption is realistic, but I happened to think that he suffered because of his wife's professional success - I mean, she's Tori Amos the singer/pianist and he's basically her employee. Maybe he felt/feels outshadowed by her stature (we all know that Tori Amos can be quite a cumbersome presence to live with) and he threatened to leave, or something like that. So Tori had to choose between upgrading him to a peer (they're essentially a duo, now) and continuing following her muse, but alone. And she chose the latter. I understand it, but it would have been so much better if only he didn't suck as a musician.

    Apart from that, I must say that I think Tori always had a bad taste, aestethically. Maybe because she's a Leo, and I've never met a Leo who didn't have a bit of a tacky taste, but she just has no sense of limit. She always overdoes: too many colours on her dresses, too many songs in her records, too many instruments in her songs, too many high notes where they don't need to be. She's the opposite of PJ Harvey, who has less melodic talent, but rarely shoots blank because she knows where her limit is and knows how to edit.
    Last edited by Carey; 10-10-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

  12. #12
    Senior Member datura1452's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Andalucia, Spain.
    Posts
    317
    Tori´s husband should go and work in a Starbucks or something. Or being practicing 10 years the guitar and come back later if he has something to contribute. It must be hard being a top musician as Tori and having a mediocre husband that wants to work with you. I´d say Tori is being also mediocre if she lets him to put those horrible guitar chords in her songs.

    I wonder if Tori knows what negative opinion most of us have of her husband as a musician.
    Last edited by datura1452; 10-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ordbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    159
    I sympathise with juggling your professional life with living and working with a family member suffering. If that is indeed the case with her spouse.
    And I suspect the general consensus when it comes to the field of art is that it's subjective and a matter of free choice whether you support or like something or not.
    But Tori is a professional, this is her job.
    So if anything, I'm grateful she's not in any other line of work.
    Cause what I suspect she calls integrity and standing up to the evil record business or whatever, has turned into something very different.
    Something that ultimately always ruins any career in any line of work -
    The idea that you don't need help, you don't need to double-check, you don't need to research anything, you don't need outside influence. Why bother ey? I do it just fine myself with the help of my husband.
    Well "just fine" has never been the best of slogans

  14. #14
    Junior Member twinkle_franchou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ordbok View Post
    I sympathise with juggling your professional life with living and working with a family member suffering. If that is indeed the case with her spouse.
    And I suspect the general consensus when it comes to the field of art is that it's subjective and a matter of free choice whether you support or like something or not.
    But Tori is a professional, this is her job.
    So if anything, I'm grateful she's not in any other line of work.
    Cause what I suspect she calls integrity and standing up to the evil record business or whatever, has turned into something very different.
    Something that ultimately always ruins any career in any line of work -
    The idea that you don't need help, you don't need to double-check, you don't need to research anything, you don't need outside influence. Why bother ey? I do it just fine myself with the help of my husband.
    Well "just fine" has never been the best of slogans
    I don't think that what she has to say about the "evil record business" is credible anymore.
    If she doesn't like working with big record companies, then why does she work with them all the time? She could release her music herself, she could collaborate with small labels but no, she has always worked for majors and it is a choice.
    She even thinks like them now. When you ask her when her next record will be out, she answers "in 2017". She gives you a date. Singers with musical integrity like Björk or Kate Bush would answer: "when it is ready".

  15. #15
    Senior Member Carey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    487
    I don't think that what she has to say about the "evil record business" is credible anymore.
    If she doesn't like working with big record companies, then why does she work with them all the time? She could release her music herself, she could collaborate with small labels but no, she has always worked for majors and it is a choice.
    She even thinks like them now. When you ask her when her next record will be out, she answers "in 2017". She gives you a date. Singers with musical integrity like Björk or Kate Bush would answer: "when it is ready".
    I agree.

    I sympathise with juggling your professional life with living and working with a family member suffering. If that is indeed the case with her spouse.
    And I suspect the general consensus when it comes to the field of art is that it's subjective and a matter of free choice whether you support or like something or not.
    But Tori is a professional, this is her job.
    So if anything, I'm grateful she's not in any other line of work.
    Cause what I suspect she calls integrity and standing up to the evil record business or whatever, has turned into something very different.
    Something that ultimately always ruins any career in any line of work -
    The idea that you don't need help, you don't need to double-check, you don't need to research anything, you don't need outside influence. Why bother ey? I do it just fine myself with the help of my husband.
    Well "just fine" has never been the best of slogans
    It's tricky, because in a sense she learnt how to be less self-centered and leave room to others in her creative process. Too bad these "others" are basically Mark, her daughter and Marcel. She needs someone to brutally tell her what works and what doesn't. Someone who tells her that, say, invisible boy works better in a lower key, as she sings it live, and that high notes don't make it more impressive. Someone who tells her that doubled vocals and uncontrolled use of echo give no depth to her music.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •