Page 43 of 565 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143543 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Gracie View Post
    I'm amazed at the hate AATS gets on here. It was such a great recovery after the previous two (meandering and minor by her standards at least). Yes, it's too long and there is some throwaway material, but the best 12 tracks on there are classic Tori. And to have followed it the same year with the sublime Midwinter Graces... what a year it was for her.
    I feel like Sheldon Cooper trying to figure out if this is sarcasm or not.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    sublime Midwinter Graces?

Has to be a joke.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I'm not too excited if the album is about american politics... I get why, but I'm so fed up with the subject. Everytime I open twitter or read the news it's all about american politics, and while I get the importance of it in this moment, I wish art could be able to dig into our present in a more interesting, unexpected way.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Yeah, I don't want another "Yo George" here. I mean, ultimately all this political stuff is pretty ephemeral. Trump will be gone someday, but the forces that created him and Bush will still be present. I hope she dips into that. I think that could make for a powerful record.

And I don't mind the tree stuff, that's part of what I like about Tori.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm pretty burnt out on political stuff and this makes me not look forward to the album. If she could write about the other aspects of our culture that brought about the present situation - narcissism/focus only on immediate self and life; instant gratification (tho, may cause programmable soda #2); status obsession (social media); laziness and sensationalism (relying on FB for news & "facts"), etc. Although perhaps one could argue some songs in the past 10 years have been about that, but I would want her to approach the topics in a different way. That also makes me wonder if I could still see it as sincere coming from her... I love her and even if I'm not pumped for the album, I of course will always look forward to the tour.

I have no objection to American politics related music, providing it's more "Pancake" than "Yo George".
    ~just an underwater thing~

To me, tori crawling out of a tree could be a really nice image! the pink, pele, choirgirl and scarlet artwork are exemplary; pele in particular is kind of unsurpassed in terms of pop music imagery for me, only Bjork really comes close. I'm hoping she gives us some thoughtful and imaginative visuals this time...( I didn't particularly like the UG painting stuff, but anything is better than the AATS and MWG atrocities). I wonder how they choose photographers, and on what basis? T has such an interest in photography anyway, I'm constantly surprised with how bad the recent artwork has been.

I agree with you, I'm so fed up with political subjects, especially because, as Aster said, art is not journalism and it's not supposed to be ephemeral. I don't like records that sound like an evening newscast, especially when there are references to specifical facts and personalities. And I DON'T WANT a record dedicated to Trump. Even if deeply critical, it would still be an entire record dedicated to a moron, it's a lot of energy expended on him, it's feeding his myth. Besides that, in ten years his name would make the song obsolote, just as Yo george is. Even Indian Summer, which is one of my favourites, is ruined by that utterly unnecessary "Mr Bush" line.

On the bright side, Tori has written a lot of political songs that are also a deep reflection on human nature.
    America is the latest successful attempt, both musically and lyrically. It's about american society, of course, but it could be the story of a single girl as well. I imagine this "other America" as a teenage girl that just can't fit in with her peers, maybe because she's an immigrant or has a different culture, or simply because she feels different. Then she becomes a young woman that goes to night school, maybe she had to leave school 'cause her family was poor and she had to work, or maybe she decided to drop everything and go see the world, but now she wants to understand the society she lives in, and she hopes she can create a link between herself and the others. It's like she sees a different reality where it's not power dynamics to rule, and she's waiting for America to recognize it too.

There are a lot of beautiful songs in the same vein: father's son, mother revolution, general joy, virginia, scarlet's walk, amber waves, (basically all of scarlet's walk), seaside, tombigbee, but I would also add orange knickers, flavour, juarez.
    Last edited by Carey; 03-20-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

None of this news makes me excited :-(

Emerging from a tree could have been nice as a painting, like the tree resembles a vagina giving birth.

If I were releasing an album in this political climate, I'd try to contact a Syrian artist, preferably female, who had to flee. Maybe Sara Shamma who now lives in Lebanon.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Emerging from a tree could have been nice as a painting, like the tree resembles a vagina giving birth.

If I were releasing an album in this political climate, I'd try to contact a Syrian artist, preferably female, who had to flee. Maybe Sara Shamma who now lives in Lebanon.
    idk, it sounds a bit too "hope six demolition" to me.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Quote Originally Posted by Yessica View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Yessica View Post
    That's a shock...

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Political could be good if it's more SW than ADP.

Coming out from a tree could be good if it's more LE/UTP than MWG/NOH.

So since nothing is confirmed (and even if it were, nothing's for sure till it goes to print), there's still hope.

I think American politics isn't such a bad idea... What would, in fact, be a bad idea would be a concept album about generations of American presidents, where Tori dresses up as various first wives in the booklet. As long as we're not there, I'm game.