Page 44 of 551 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144544 ... LastLast

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

They probably brought him in with the idea already conceived and he was just there to do what she wanted.

^ yes - like that Night of Hunters behind the scenes photoshoot where the photographer talks about the importance of the fox / goose and the hunt and the hunters, and the boots to represent the male character - but they are obviously all Tori's ideas...
    Robbing the muse...

^ Oh totally. I doubt she ever just hands over the reigns to the photographer and says "you lead".
    Also, it's really odd timing but when I was reading this, the "robbing the muse" line from FOG was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by bratboy View Post
    Would the "dolls" have been more interesting (probably not) if they had been made to look like actual dolls and not just tori with a different wig?
    I think it would've been more interesting if they had been in a different setting together...a bar, a dining room, McDonald's lol...something where it seemed they were interacting together. But what would've made the biggest difference for me is if they had actually looked like different people together in the same setting instead of cardboard cut-outs. The photoshop is just so bad. I don't know if the generic backdrop adds to the fake effect or not. In that case, I wiodve gone for more fake like you're talking about and made them look like actual dolls.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

^ It would have been cool if they had done them like that photo from I think SPIN, where she was playing cards with herself.

^ exactly. Or even different candid shots of them together... like one of them on a bus, one in an art gallery where there's other people there and you can see them in the crowd with their facial expressions showing their different personalities: Clyde shy and in thought , looking at one of "Izzy's" photographs with Pip scowling at the crowd. Something that made them real and not just them in a line up in front of a brick wall. Hell, I would've even been happy with a super campy shot of them playing in a band together like Jem and the Holograms.
    Last edited by Adam; 03-24-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I think all of those albums got the artwork they deserved -- ADP especially. It looked unfinished, like the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I think all of those albums got the artwork they deserved -- ADP especially. It looked unfinished, like the music itself.
    I love you.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hell, I would've even been happy with a super campy shot of them playing in a band together like Jem and the Holograms.
    We are the Misfits. Our songs are better.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I don't get excited any more and long gone are the days when I'd buy multiple copies of albums and give them to friends.

Expectations are (if not working with a band / other musicians) a few decent piano/vocal tracks and maybe one or two casio tracks that are semi decent.

There are a few tracks on UG that I liked a lot to start but can no longer listen to as they're so thin and tinny. There's just no depth to the sound and no interaction between musicians because, well, there aren't any musicians to interact with.

Without other people in the studio, there's no element of improvisation/interaction when recording, no call response, no energy to feed off.

Instead, one or two people (Tori or Mark) are responsible for every single note on that album, from the high hat to the bass via the trombone and kazoo - and it shows.

And when production choices aren't terrible, they're pedestrian. I find it shocking that a album by, say, Ane Brun, is more experimental and accomplished whilst still being mainstream and listenable, than one by Tori Amos (although I'd suggest Tori is still ahead in pure songwriting terms).

I truly, sincerely hope she pulls it out of the bag and excels, but UG and Flicker aren't good portends imo.
    Last edited by KidCarbon; 03-25-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss;
    but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    We are the Misfits. Our songs are better.

Since people don't like Tori's recent output, would you prefer she not make new albums anymore? She has a large back catalogue so that she could vary the setlist and not make it dull like artists who only have a few albums of material?
    Lots of artists around Tori's age no longer release albums on a regular basis, but keep on touring.
    It just seems to me the rewards for doing a new album are less and less for her. They don't sell many copies, she doesn't make money from them and fans no matter what she does constantly complain about how awful they are and are inevitably disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glindathegood View Post
    Since people don't like Tori's recent output, would you prefer she not make new albums anymore? She has a large back catalogue so that she could vary the setlist and not make it dull like artists who only have a few albums of material?
    Lots of artists around Tori's age no longer release albums on a regular basis, but keep on touring.
    It just seems to me the rewards for doing a new album are less and less for her. They don't sell many copies, she doesn't make money from them and fans no matter what she does constantly complain about how awful they are and are inevitably disappointed.
    DEFINITELY NO.
    But let me give my point of view.
    First, I don't think (actually, we already know) that the only thing she has to offer from now on are imitations of Midwinter Disgraces. Even in her worst moments, she always has had at least a bunch of really good songs. Or at least songs I can enjoy.
    There's one more thing, about touring. If she doesn't have any new material, her setlists will gradually become a) Leather every single night, or b) lots and lots of covers. Well, I actually don't mind her singing covers, I really like those (as long as it's not some ridiculous mashup).

But answering your question, no, even if her albums are average, as long as there's an EP I can honestly enjoy and feel moved by, I'm in. That doesn't mean I will stop complaining, of course
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I really hope Tori is making albums for her own sake, not ours.

To be fair, Tori tracked her parts on the 3 first albums solo, so its not like other musicians being in the rock. Is a pretzel for something amazing.