Page 272 of 557 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 8342

Thread: Native Invader | Now Released

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    What exactly is a Cloud Rider?

I tried to look it up and found this definition, which I'm thinking isn't what Tori is taking about...

"A black woman who chooses to only, or most often, sleep with white men."
    Ha, Star Whisperer and IB have a whole new context now.....
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

If you're big enough, you can choose. Kate Bush fought for Wuthering Heights to be her first single and from then on, she chose.

Here's the thing: now that singles are basically pre-order goodies, I've noticed that sometimes an artist like Tori doesn't release the "definitive" single first anymore . When you're someone like Lorde with a video ready to go, you absolutely DO pick an album's first single and let it rip. I have a feeling that now, with lots of artists, the idea is to put out a teaser track closely followed by a more hard-hitting single or one closer to the release date. For instance, with St. Vincent, I'm pretty sure we're not getting a video for New York but will get one for the next song to be released which will be more along the lines of a proper single and will be the one she'll be performing on all of the late night shows.

So...it could go either way. Maybe Cloud Riders is the obvious choice for a first single or maybe it's gonna be the "little taste" to hold us over until Up the Creek or Reindeer King is really pushed as the definitive "single" or introduction to the album ( with a video, etc) that lines up with tv promo. I'm assuming that by US tv promo time, she'll be pushing Up The Creek, because if those dates are correct, it would be the song most recently released before the start of proper North American promo. Plus, Up The Creek has a better track time for radio. Both CR and RK would have to have a radio edit. Then again, ASF was a huge single for her and it was 5 minutes plus without the radio edit. Still, with UTC being released only two weeks after CR, and RK not coming for weeks after that, my money is on UTC being the "actual single" if you can even call it that because two weeks isn't giving CR much time to breathe until UTC is released.

Does that make sense at all?
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    I kinda want a "making of Native Invader" video or two like what happened with UG - - - where they play some song teasers in the background. Just to make us salivate...
    This.

Interesting possibly related to Reindeer King?
    https://www.interesly.com/santas-reindeer-king/
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

I have a feeling that she really wants a song with Tash to be a mainstream success. Promise was released as a "single" and is probably the most musically accessible song on UG (ruined, I agree, by Tori's awkward doubled vocals). Up The Creek has been described as rhythmically adventurous and "pulsating," which to be sounds like a similar endeavor.

At this point, I wish she would stop using her output as a way to get Tash radio play.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm obviously exited to hear Cloud Riders but I must admit it's a bit strange for the first song released from a new album to be titled after a character(s) that was part of a confined narrative on NOH
    Not trying to be dismissive here, but the reference to the cloud riders is hardly part of the confined narrative of NOH. It's a single reference in a single song. Same thing with Invisible Boy on UG. The cloud riders aren't demonstrably part of the fox/goose/Annabel nonsense. It's probably just an idea...or more likely, just an evocative noun/phrase...that Tori likes and wanted to use again. Nothing mysterious.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Single cover art?

Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Not trying to be dismissive here, but the reference to the cloud riders is hardly part of the confined narrative of NOH. It's a single reference in a single song. Same thing with Invisible Boy on UG. The cloud riders aren't demonstrably part of the fox/goose/Annabel nonsense. It's probably just an idea...or more likely, just an evocative noun/phrase...that Tori likes and wanted to use again. Nothing mysterious.
    Yup! We can throw it in the same arena as:

-Lucy
    -Lucifer
    -lip gloss
    -running
    -shoes

Which show up in multiple songs!

Quote Originally Posted by notherkind View Post
    I have a feeling that she really wants a song with Tash to be a mainstream success. Promise was released as a "single" and is probably the most musically accessible song on UG (ruined, I agree, by Tori's awkward doubled vocals). Up The Creek has been described as rhythmically adventurous and "pulsating," which to be sounds like a similar endeavor.

At this point, I wish she would stop using her output as a way to get Tash radio play.
    That seems a little cynical. Do we know that her daughter even aspires to such things?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Yup! We can throw it in the same arena as:

-Lucy
    -Lucifer
    -lip gloss
    -running
    -shoes

Which show up in multiple songs!
    I honestly think it might be a way for her to reference the idea of "angels" without actually using that word and all the cliched/negative connotations that come with it. It wouldn't be the first time. (see: the Ninefold in Apollo's Frock, which as far as I can tell is a reference to the nine orders of angels in Christian mythology).

I always assumed it was about the Cloud People in Native American culture, but I guess that would have been an odd thing to reference on NOH which was largely taken from European mythology, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I always assumed it was about the Cloud People in Native American culture, but I guess that would have been an odd thing to reference on NOH which was largely taken from European mythology, correct?
    Could be, but who knows? It's also likely that it's a synthesis of multiple related references. I feel like she does that a lot in her lyrics.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    In Irish mythology there are several races that arrived before the Celts - the Formorians who were giants, the Tuatha Dé Danann and the Milesians, who may have been the first Celts. The Tuatha Dé Danann were what we now refer to as faeries, though I believe the phrase translates roughly as Tribe of the Goddess Danu. As Tori has mentioned herself, they Tuatha Dé were a race of people who were driven underground, and ultimately they did, after losing a battle, make deal with the Milesians to live in the mounds of the land, while their successors lived above the earth. There are varying versions of the myth - in one the arrived in Ireland and set their ships alight so that they would not be tempted to return home or run from battle with the Formorians and so they could arrive under the cover of smoke, but there are plenty of other versions that state that they descended from the clouds in a heavy fog. I always assumed that the Cloud Riders was just a way for her to reference faeries or ancient gods of the sky, beginning in the Irish mythological cycle, but probably just becoming a way for her to refer to any deity.
    Last edited by andy; 07-17-2017 at 10:11 PM.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar

For first single... I was about to bet on either Wings (the second track was the single on SW, TBK, ADP, AATS and UG) or Up The Creek. I'm not surprised she's going with a guitar-heavy track though. Trouble's Lament is almost all guitar and I like that one quite a bit. If it's more of a Welcome To England type sound, the disappointment is gonna be big but all too familiar.

FYI Trouble's Lament was immediately followed by Selkie as the next promoted track, even though it wasn't a "single." I think this promotional cycle will look more like UG's... Cloud Riders and Up The Creek as the official singles, with Reindeer King or something else as an extra to remind people why Tori is famous (hint hint not because of pop singles)
    Last edited by Octopussy; 07-17-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    I remember reading it's a turtle or tortoise race that she did actually witness, and one of the reptiles was marked with grapefruit to distinguish it from another, but I can't find my source now.

Excited about the new release of course!
    I remember someone telling me that you race turtles by baiting them with something tied to a string. And you identify each turtle by it's bait.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."