Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Really? Ah, too bad. I personally love it, chasing perfect scores and getting all challenges. Animations are funny and zany and there's quite a bit of depth to the strategic gameplay.
    Perfect X-com meets Mario game if you ask me
    It reminds me of Codename: STEAM. While I don't enjoy that one as much as Fire Emblem, I think I'll enjoy Rabbids very much! Only played a little bit so far though. In general am addicted to turn-based stuff while on the go, so this should be perfect for that.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Malike-pakile View Post
    Of course Mario+Rabidds is nothing like the other Mario games. It is a tactical game like Xcom. Maybe you should have read an article or two beforehand?
    I watched a few trailers. The game seemed like it would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    What was the main reason for buying then?
    I wanted to get it as soon as I saw the trailer for Mario+Rabbids. I didn't get the impression at all that it would be an Xcom game. Plus I was hoping there would be some kind of backwards compatibility, at least for the Wii U games I bought digitally. But there was none at all. Perhaps it's not *usual*, but when I went from Wii to Wii U I was still able to use all my old games, I could even transfer the games I bought digitally. So it's really a let down that the Nintendo Switch doesn't offer any kind of backwards compatibility, or at least acknowledges that you've already purchased certain games on other Nintendo platforms and offers a discount on the Nintendo Switch version, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I wanted to get it as soon as I saw the trailer for Mario+Rabbids. I didn't get the impression at all that it would be an Xcom game.
    Ah ok I see.

Plus I was hoping there would be some kind of backwards compatibility, at least for the Wii U games I bought digitally. But there was none at all. Perhaps it's not *usual*, but when I went from Wii to Wii U I was still able to use all my old games, I could even transfer the games I bought digitally.
    Yeah I guess many expect that kind of backwards compatibility from Nintendo, as it has existed for a longtime with them now. This is somewhat more complicated than it may seem at first, as the base is not emulation but hardware included; a Wii U contains an actual Wii, the Wii contains an actual GameCube, the DS contains an actual GBA... interestingly, the WiiU also has the GameCube hardware, it just doesn't have a disc drive that can accept 3"DVDs.

Not so with the Switch of course, due to the portability and the lacking of a disc drive it doesnt have any different hardware modes.

So it's really a let down that the Nintendo Switch doesn't offer any kind of backwards compatibility, or at least acknowledges that you've already purchased certain games on other Nintendo platforms and offers a discount on the Nintendo Switch version, or something.
    The discount was only offered for virtual console stuff I think, where the actual content wasn't modified or upgraded.
    Things like Mario Kart 8 and Gunvolt are ports or upgraded ports, for which some work needs to be done to make it happen. They won't discount that because they are Nintendo Beeches.
    Also, the virtual console stuff is cringeworthy. They don't release enough (looking at the SNES library for 3DS here) and the crossplatform discount is way too low. For ports I want to pay, for EXACTLY the same ROM I don't.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I dunno, I'm still pretty thrilled with the Switch, but the Wii U (and even the Wii once the novelty wore off, honestly) was basically a huge disappointment.

6 months in I own 10 physical games (Zelda, MK8, Splatoon2, M+R, Arms, Disgaea 5, Bomberman R, Cave Story+, Binding of Isaac & 1-2-Switch) and a few more digital (I am Setsuna, Blaster Master Zero). I plan on getting Sonic Mania and Double Dragon 4 real soon as well. This console has definitely gotten its money worth for me in a staggeringly short amount of time and I'm super hopeful that this thing can be everything it promises to be.

btw, was splatting with Tori and PJ during last Splatfest apparently.... glad I could take a screencap

Lol I find this so funny for some reason.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/13/16...ves-mario-bros

Nintendo (via Hamster) is bringing an Arcade Classics line to the Switch eshop! This isn't quite the Virtual Console announcement I was waiting for, but just as cool in its own right! Mario Bros. has a street date of September 27, with Punch-Out!! and VS. versions of Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Ice Climber, Pinball, and Super Mario Bros. to follow. No price info yet, but I'm assuming it'll be comparable to the NeoGeo games Hamster has already been putting out, if not higher. It's too bad they won't all be on a collection on a physical cart, but I guess there's more money to be made this way.

I hope Donkey Kong will follow suit, with its original missing level finally restored. Also hope that non-Nintendo arcade games can possibly come down the line, like Contra/Super Contra... A boy can dream.

Oh yeah, Doom and Wolfenstein announced. There's a demo for Project Octopath Traveler. Increased production for SNES Classic, NES Classics being made available again next year. Nintendo is on fire haha!

Yesterday's Direct was very awesome.

Have you played POT yet? I downloaded the demo but haven't launched it. I am SHOCKED that we are getting the new Wolfenstein... and the Arcade Classics are exciting as well! Hopefully we get a REAL VC announcement soon, but until it launches this is a nice tide-over.

On a personal note: I have had Has Been Heroes since it was released (like a week or two after the Switch was launched, I think) and I've sunk dozens of hours into it but only beaten it once. This week I've now beaten it a few additional times, finally. Every time you beat the game it unlocks additional 'locations' that give out more and better spells/items, better Heroes, and a LOT more money/candles which makes the game infinitely easier. I'm glad I persevered through it. The game is still hard, but it is easier every time you beat it.

^I haven't played POT yet but do plan on getting the demo ASAP. This is a verrry busy week for me with work though, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get around to it. Quest of Dungeons, Blue's Journey, and Spin Master all look up my alley, too.

I might have to pick up Has Been Heroes; that did look really interesting to me at launch but I was obsessed with BOTW and kinda just forgot about picking that one up

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    ^I haven't played POT yet but do plan on getting the demo ASAP. This is a verrry busy week for me with work though, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get around to it. Quest of Dungeons, Blue's Journey, and Spin Master all look up my alley, too.

I might have to pick up Has Been Heroes; that did look really interesting to me at launch but I was obsessed with BOTW and kinda just forgot about picking that one up
    HBH is tough. Be prepared for a game that punishes every mistake with death. But it's rewarding once you figure out the strategies.

I am really excited for POT after having read that it's by the same Devs who created the Bravely Default series. I LOVED those games, so charming and clever. I've long been hoping that we'd get a Bravely game for Switch, but I'll settle for this.

Arrrghhhhh I'm trying to get the last 2 challenges on Mario/Rabbids and they are SO HARD!!!
    This game is so awesome though, so so awesome.
    post28!