Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Awards Season

Holy shit. Brie hugged him. I wonder what the reaction will be to that. But shit, wasn't she gorgeous?
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Holy shit. Brie hugged him. I wonder what the reaction will be to that. But shit, wasn't she gorgeous?
    I'm curious what she said to him. She said something and he did a double take.

What the actual fuck guys. I didn't like la la land. Went to bathroom to get ready for bed. Came back in and was like is this a bit?

Oh man.

Best twitter response is can we do this to the election?

Ho. Lee. Shit.

I was gonna say that the show was really good, but I was kinda sorry there were no surprises.

Barack Hussein Obama

Wow that was a pretty big fuckup But also rather poetic in a way... After the year we've just had, it's appropriate for a big embarrassing blunder to wrap up the Oscars, only this time the disenfranchised party comes out victorious. Such symbolism! Can you imagine if it was the other way around?

(Not that La La Land is evil or wasn't deserving. I thought both movies were pretty great.)

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I'm thrilled for Moonlight. It totally deserved that win. Should have won Cinematography and Naomi Harris for supporting actress, too. (I know, I know, lots of people were rooting for Viola Davis.)

I think it turned out well. Both movies were deserving and both won major awards. Manchester by the Sea also scored, and those films were rightly put out as the top three films going into the season.

Speaking of MbtS, a picture is circulating of Brie at the moment she read Affleck's name. She doesn't look happy. And people aren't trashing her for the (really rather perfunctory) hug. People are sympathizing with her. It'll be interesting to see how Affleck is seen going forward.

Oh, and Mel Gibson was also being trashed in social media. That should make someone here happy.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post

Oh, and Mel Gibson was also being trashed in social media. That should make someone here happy.
    I know "the people" are mostly on my side. I don't know why E! and ABC and the academy are ok with him.

I'm also conflicted because I'm still not sure what to do inside my head about Casey. Why am I leading the torches and pitchforks for Mel when I'm like "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" about Casey?

To a certain extent, that is. I'm not defending him like Chris Brown fans do to him.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Totally... that was quite the flub. Everybody lost in that situation. When I was watching Warren Beatty, for a minute I thought he was having a stroke or something. Then it all made sense.

I'm watching The Chew. Carla went to the show last night as a correspondent. She made snacks and handed them out. She's adorable and her excitement is contagious. Watching her go bananas waving and chucking snacks at her favorites was fun.

But.

Mel.

Again.

She yelled to him and his wife and threw them a snack and he flinched and yeah it was kind of humorous, but... why? Why is everyone giving him attention? His publicity people have earned every fucking penny because he was everywhere yesterday, on everything, no negative commentary. I know he was nominated, but so were literally dozens of other people, so with limited screen time, why is everyone showing HIM? Ugh.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I thought the show was so much fun thanks to Kimmel. He looked so relaxed and so ready to have a good time. WOW. Very impressed. Good flow. Show was long as always but didn't feel like it. Good hosting and good music.

However, for me, it wasn't a great Oscars.
    The issue I had was the lack of cohesion with the awards. Usually there is a slow and steady build-up to the Best Picture and this year films from all over the place were getting awards. Suicide Squad? Really? It felt a bit whack.
    I know that La La Land won the most but pretty early on I was sure that it wouldn't get Picture. THEN, Emma and Damien won I kinda got my hopes back up but....

What sucks from a ratings perspective is that the best part (WE WANT DRAMA) was the very last moment. Too bad something like that didn't happen in the middle. grrrrr.
    Otherwise the acceptance speeches were boring for the most part, no big/bigly political moment (Kimmel did his best). The ending was everything, though. Sometimes people don't even talk about the Oscars the next day. Everyone was talking about them this time around.

The Spirit Awards the night before were marvelous. Molly Shannon's win is my all-time favorite this whole entire award's season:
    Yes, even I can misspell four-letter words. Can you imagine that pewp?

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    I thought the show was so much fun thanks to Kimmel. He looked so relaxed and so ready to have a good time. WOW. Very impressed. Good flow. Show was long as always but didn't feel like it. Good hosting and good music.
    I'm not a Kimmel fan in general, but when he's good he's very good. I found a lot of his stuff didn't work for me, but the Matt Damon stuff killed me every time. It's so ridiculous and never-ending. I like that he doesn't sing and that he doesn't get pouty when his jokes don't land. He also doesn't seem to be entirely up his own ass, so it's still the Oscars, not Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I read the horrifying thought today that it's realllllllllllllllllllllly lucky for him that Faye and Warren weren't given a Manchester envelope. Could you imagine if Matt was up there and they had to tell them it was a mistake? Everyone would have assumed Jimmy did it as a bit and he would be HATED. Who'd believe a prankster when an honest mistake was made?

I am not looking forward to every hack comedian doing this as a bit in every shitty award show from now till we all die out. I do wish 30 Rock were still on because I bet they would have written an amazing episode about Tracey and/or Jenna reading the wrong name out somewhere important.

I love Molly Shannon so much.

Also I just realized something. The last two Best Picture winners: Spotlight and Moonlight.

I love Molly Shannon too. That clip was great. I wish she'd been nominated for an Oscar too, she deserved it.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    EMMY NOMINATIONS: Not a complete list

Outstanding drama series

"Better Call Saul"
    "The Crown"
    "The Handmaid's Tale"
    "House of Cards"
    "Stranger Things"
    "This Is Us"
    "Westworld"

Outstanding comedy series

"Atlanta"
    "Black-ish"
    "Master of None"
    "Modern Family"
    "Silicon Valley"
    "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
    "Veep"

Outstanding lead actor in a drama series

Sterling K. Brown, "This Is Us"
    Anthony Hopkins, "Westworld"
    Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"
    Matthew Rhys, "The Americans"
    Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"
    Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"
    Milo Ventimiglia, "This Is Us"

Outstanding lead actress in a drama series

Viola Davis, "How to Get Away With Murder"
    Claire Foy, "The Crown"
    Elisabeth Moss, "The Handmaid's Tale"
    Keri Russell, "The Americans"
    Evan Rachel Wood, "Westworld"
    Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

Outstanding lead actor in a comedy series

Anthony Anderson, "Black-ish"
    Aziz Ansari, "Master of None"
    Zach Galifianakis, "Baskets"
    Donald Glover, "Atlanta"
    William H. Macy, "Shameless"
    Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent"

Outstanding lead actress in a comedy series

Pamela Adlon, "Better Things"
    Jane Fonda, "Grace and Frankie"
    Allison Janney, "Mom"
    Ellie Kemper, "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
    Tracee Ellis Ross, "Black-ish"
    Lily Tomlin, "Grace and Frankie"

Outstanding limited series

"Big Little Lies"
    "Fargo"
    "Feud: Bette and Joan"
    "The Night Of"
    "Genius"

Outstanding lead actor in a limited series

Riz Ahmed, "The Night Of"
    Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: The Lying Detective"
    Robert De Niro, "The Wizard of Lies"
    Ewan McGregor, "Fargo"
    Geoffrey Rush, "Genius"
    John Turturro, "The Night Of"

Outstanding lead actress in a limited series

Carrie Coon, "Fargo"
    Felicity Huffman, "American Crime"
    Nicole Kidman, "Big Little Lies"
    Jessica Lange, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
    Susan Sarandon, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
    Reese Witherspoon, "Big Little Lies"

Outstanding variety talk series

"Full Frontal With Samantha Bee"
    "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"
    "Last Week Tonight With John Oliver"
    "The Late Late Show With James Corden"
    "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert"
    "Real Time With Bill Maher"

Outstanding reality-competition program

"The Amazing Race"
    "American Ninja Warrior"
    "Project Runway"
    "RuPaul's Drag Race"
    "Top Chef"
    "The Voice"

for more nominations go to http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominations
    Yes, even I can misspell four-letter words. Can you imagine that pewp?