Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Awards Season

I need to see it too. It'd be interesting to see her win and give an acceptance speech, since she's so unsentimental and matter of fact about her work.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    So many of the top-tier women this year are campaigning in the supporting race. So I think Best Actress might be an easier category to have some wiggle room with the voters.

Although, La La Land is going to be a juggernaut. I think there was a race to get some of these actresses that are in mighty big roles into supporting because the feeling is no one is going to beat Emma Stone. If La La Land turns out to be as big as they are forecasting... it's a done deal, I think. Almost every critical review says it's the best thing since Slumdog Millionaire and Titanic. And the regular audience reviews are more impressive than that at least on the IMDB boards. We shall see.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-03-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Hacksaw Ridge is starting to gain momentum. I find this unbelievable but GoldDerby is saying that Hacksaw Ridge, Sully, and Patriots Day will fare well in the Best Picture category because the voters are looking for "hero" films.

Critic's Choice Award Nominations

What I said about Best Actress being an easier category. NM. Most competitive race if you go by the Critic's Choice Nominations.

LA Critics' Circle Awards:

First Best Actor award for someone other than Casey Affleck, but I don't think Driver is a frontrunner for an Oscar nod.

Huppert has an advantage for critics' awards that she won't have for the later awards: two acclaimed performances for this year.

Mica Levi is looking good for a nod for her Jackie score. Remember that she's the young, British avant-garde composer who scored Under the Skin. She's really-kind of amazing; if you want to hear something like you've never heard before, check out her "pop" band Micachu and the Shapes.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Regarding Jackie, the filmmaker also has a chance to get nominated for best foreign film with Neruda. His style is very high art with the visuals and music. Jackie is probably going to be a Best Picture film in the way The Queen was a Best Picture.

I understand Elle was passed by a number of American actresses. They wanted to make the film in English. That's just what they said on the latest Best Actress clip from GoldDerby. They think Huppert is battling for that fifth and final spot. Emma is in. Natalie is in. I think Negga is in. After that... there's just too many great performances.
    Amy, Isabelle, Annette, Taraji, Meryl, Rebecca, Emily....
    Last edited by Volta; 12-06-2016 at 07:01 AM.

I think Annette is definitely in.

Barack Hussein Obama

Sucks that Tori hasn't gotten any nominations yet in the song categories that have been released. She has been campaigning pretty well.

I forgot to mention Sally Field and Jessica Chastain. Sally Field will be nominated in Comedy at the Globes. Maybe Chastain gets in for Drama at the Globes, too.

GG Actress in a Musical/Comedy:
    Emma
    Annette
    Sally
    Meryl
    maybe Renee for Bridget Jones or Kate Beckinsale for Love and Friendship
    Last edited by Volta; 12-06-2016 at 08:04 AM.

I'm so behind on my 2016 viewing I don't even know where to start. XD
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

THE 2016 WAFCA AWARD WINNERS:

La La Land starting to clean up.

Best Actor/Supporting Actor are starting to look like locks.

Barack Hussein Obama

love all the Moonlight love!!!

Looks like La La is going to be a factor in the tech awards, as well. I have to see this film.

REMEMBER..
    We have Critics Choice Awards on tv Sunday night and Golden Globes and SAG Nominations within four days of that. To say this coming weekend and week are very important in molding and shaping the look of the Academy Awards would be a massive understatement .. and it's really exciting for forecasters like us.
    What I'm looking for is too see how many nominations JACKIE gets in other categories. I haven't been able to get a good idea how JACKIE measures up to a film like Hell or High Water or Hacksaw Ridge (films that will appeal to the majority of Oscar voters you would think). With so many great pictures this year getting in that top 10 is going to be a task. If JACKIE gets a lot of love it could push some of these films out like The Queen did some years back.

And regarding Emma Stone winning and La La Land winning Best Pic... that hasn't happened since Shakespeare in Love, I think. When the Best Actress winner and the Best Picture were from the same movie.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-09-2016 at 11:46 AM.

I have too much to say about Critics Choice Awards and the Globes nominations. But I'm tired and am hitting the hay. Steve, someone else want to post the full GG noms?